Managing Hardware Assets
The reason is simple enough. The company books or Accounting department. Within the corporate structure accountability needs to be addressed in terms of taxes and associated liabilities. I will not jump into that because it is way too deep for this discussion. But that is the underlying reason.
Okay, for the What. The hardware that needs to be tracked is virtually every active piece device that connects to the network and even those that do not.
This means ever file server, printer, copier, scanner, and a users computer. It also means the router, switch, firewall, UPS, and tape backup drives. If you can think of it then it probably needs to be tracked.
In my case, we use mostly Dell equipment. So I document the service tag, description, and year & month purchased. I update the list annually and give a copy to the accounting folks.
New equipment needs to be added and obsolete equipment needs to be removed. If you dispose of a device you will need to update that as well.
That is it. Simple, huh?
Trust me. As mundane as this sounds it is pretty important. You should be aware of the life expectancy of your devices so you can plan on replacing them when the time comes or at the very least being prepared. Also, you are responsible for this equipment even if it is retired. So do not let any employee take home corporate hardware assets and sell it on eBay. that would not be good.
Related Tags: network management, managing hardware assets
Copyright (c) 2006 Buddy Shearer
Buddy Shearer is not a sought-after Internet marketer but rather a regular guy trying to make a living. He can be found trying to raise money at www.shearerhouse.us.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Conference Venues: Five Tips To Finding The Perfect Conference Facilities
If you're organizing a conference, tracking down a suitable venue is crucial. While cost is an impor
- Measurementcamp: Social Media For Fashion Brands
For those who haven't heard of it, MeasurementCamp is a loose collective of individuals (mainly from
- Free Traffic - 3 Good Reasons Not To Buy Traffic Software
When you're done building a website the first big thing that you have to think about is free traffic
- Business Networking For Entrepreneurs --7 Tips For Success
Is there anyone else out there who can relate to this scenario? You arrive a little later than you a
- Achieve The Best Mlm Skills For The Best Mlm Leads And Finally Get Out In Front
I really want to bring home the importance of learning the best MLM skills in this article.Too many
- Understanding Internet Marketing Advertising Concept For Your Business
Internet marketing advertising concept is considered as an important tool for increasing business sa
- Mlm Training- The Benefits Of Home-based Network Marketing Business Training
In multi-level marketing industry, many network marketers have failed and quit, not because their bu
- Is Cash Gifting Legal Or Is It Just Another Scam?
If you are looking for an opportunity to provide you with financial freedom, there are many opportun
- Tish Washington Joins Infinity Downline Extreme Team
Yes, it's true Tish has come on board.Tish Washington? Who's that?Tish is a very nice lady from sout
- Good Diet Plans That Work Most Effectively
When somebody talks about diet programs, most of us instantly suppose that it's because we are searc
Most viewed articles in this category:
- MLM Training - How to Keep Prospects From Feeling "Baited and Switched"
Before a prospect will "reach out" for more information about your MLM business or products, you mus
- Network Marketing - When You Shouldn't Be The Expert
I see a lot of different advice on how to talk to prospects or as I look at it-potential team member
- Truth Behind Business Conference Calls
With all the latest technology, do you ever feel like you are out of the groove? There are so many n
- 2007 - Goal!
Welcome to 2007... Have you set goals for yourself for the next 12 months? Do you know that less t
- Web 2.0 Business To Business Social Networking
Despite its now rampant popularity across the internet you still may not at this point have heard of
- Free Web Site Traffic
Anyone in any business who has a web site would love free web site traffic. It is the lifeblood of a
- MLM Success - How Many Network Marketers Does It Take To Screw In a Light Bulb?
Assuming that you are in this industry in order to secure your financial future, then before choosin
- Ten Tips for Evaluating Internet Home Business Opportunities
Some of the mot popular internet home business opportunities offer you the ability to start an affil
- How Not to Mulligan Your Business Golf Game
Golf season brings with it the opportunity to network and forge new business relationships on the go
- Having Trouble Reaching a Specific Prospect - How to Reach That Hard-to-Reach Prospect in One Try
Wouldn't it be easier if you were referred to your hard-to-reach prospect instead of becoming one of