How Not to Mulligan Your Business Golf Game
Spending four hours on a course with a potential client or business affiliate offers you a golden opportunity to build either bridges or chasms. Many believe that how a person conducts himself or herself on the golf course reflects how they perform in business situations. A business golfing date is a time to put your best golfing shoe forward.
According to biz etiquette experts, following these guidelines will help you build the bridge and land that deal.
1. First, if you are likely to lose your cool when your game is bad, stay off the "business" green altogether. If your golfing history is one of losing emotional control and acting badly, do not, repeat, do not, play business golf. You will not make a good business impression.
2. Be sure you know the rules of good golf etiquette in general. Your host will not be impressed if you make a bad impression at his/her country club or offend golfing buddies.
3. No cheating in your scorekeeping or in any other way. This is not the way to build trust.
4. When unsure about a rule, discuss it with your golf opponent. Abide by whatever is decided. Demonstrate your trustworthiness and show that you are a person who keeps your word.
5. Spend your time on the links building relationships. Avoid talking deals until the 19th hole. Experts advise that business talk during the game should be of a casual nature. Business talk should not occur before the 5th hole or after the 15th hole.
6. No cell phones or beepers on the course.
7. Dress appropriately in attire that will take you from the links to the clubhouse. Denims, sleeveless shirts and short shorts are not acceptable.
8. In business golf, invite your guest to play first at the first hole. At other holes, the person with the lowest hole score in the preceding round tees first.
9. If invited to play business golf, offer to pay green fees, cart rental, etc. If you have invited someone to play, be prepared to cover the costs
10. Drinking alcohol is not your best choice when playing business golf. If you drink at all, drink only if the host offers, and have no more than two.
11. Prepare a handicap card and be honest about your handicap.
12. Play the best game you can. Playing badly to "let the other person win" can be perceived as insulting and will damage your credibility.
13. If your opponent prefers to walk rather than use a cart, you will walk also. When using a cart, join your opponent on the green when he gets out to play or to look for a ball.
14. If playing in Asia, be prepared to bet. In other countries, abide by local customs. If wagering, keep the bets at a friendly level.
15. Arrive early to get organized and to practice before tee time.
16. Avoid whining, swearing and making excuses.
17. Avoid talking or otherwise making noise while other golfers are playing.
18. Avoid coaching or giving unsolicited advice to your opponent.
19. Plan ahead and identify business goals for the day. If you are the host, be sure to invite the right people who can make decisions. Business golf blends business and golf. Having a goal for the day is as important as during any other business meeting.
Ready to tee up? Fore!
Related Tags: golf etiquette, golf networking, golf for business
How to Write Business Plans, Business Proposals, JV Contracts, Human Resource Package, More! No-cost ebook "Beginners Guide to Ecommerce". Business Writing by Nightcats Multimedia Productions http://www.nightcats.com ================================================
Recent articles in this category:
- Conference Venues: Five Tips To Finding The Perfect Conference Facilities
If you're organizing a conference, tracking down a suitable venue is crucial. While cost is an impor
- Measurementcamp: Social Media For Fashion Brands
For those who haven't heard of it, MeasurementCamp is a loose collective of individuals (mainly from
- Free Traffic - 3 Good Reasons Not To Buy Traffic Software
When you're done building a website the first big thing that you have to think about is free traffic
- Business Networking For Entrepreneurs --7 Tips For Success
Is there anyone else out there who can relate to this scenario? You arrive a little later than you a
- Achieve The Best Mlm Skills For The Best Mlm Leads And Finally Get Out In Front
I really want to bring home the importance of learning the best MLM skills in this article.Too many
- Understanding Internet Marketing Advertising Concept For Your Business
Internet marketing advertising concept is considered as an important tool for increasing business sa
- Mlm Training- The Benefits Of Home-based Network Marketing Business Training
In multi-level marketing industry, many network marketers have failed and quit, not because their bu
- Is Cash Gifting Legal Or Is It Just Another Scam?
If you are looking for an opportunity to provide you with financial freedom, there are many opportun
- Tish Washington Joins Infinity Downline Extreme Team
Yes, it's true Tish has come on board.Tish Washington? Who's that?Tish is a very nice lady from sout
- Good Diet Plans That Work Most Effectively
When somebody talks about diet programs, most of us instantly suppose that it's because we are searc
Most viewed articles in this category:
- MLM Training - How to Keep Prospects From Feeling "Baited and Switched"
Before a prospect will "reach out" for more information about your MLM business or products, you mus
- Network Marketing - When You Shouldn't Be The Expert
I see a lot of different advice on how to talk to prospects or as I look at it-potential team member
- Web 2.0 Business To Business Social Networking
Despite its now rampant popularity across the internet you still may not at this point have heard of
- 2007 - Goal!
Welcome to 2007... Have you set goals for yourself for the next 12 months? Do you know that less t
- Truth Behind Business Conference Calls
With all the latest technology, do you ever feel like you are out of the groove? There are so many n
- Free Web Site Traffic
Anyone in any business who has a web site would love free web site traffic. It is the lifeblood of a
- Managing Hardware Assets
Managing Hardware Assets can be a daunting task. Exactly what needs to be tracked and for what reaso
- MLM Success - How Many Network Marketers Does It Take To Screw In a Light Bulb?
Assuming that you are in this industry in order to secure your financial future, then before choosin
- Ten Tips for Evaluating Internet Home Business Opportunities
Some of the mot popular internet home business opportunities offer you the ability to start an affil
- 3 Ways To Guarantee Success In Your Elottery Business
How are you going to generate leads? How are you going to achieve success without going door to door