Avoid Bad Plastic Surgery - Ten Precautionary Steps
Bad celebrity plastic surgery consistently gets blizzards of media coverage. However, these mishaps are not confined to celebrities. Cosmetic surgical procedures can produce wonderful, sometimes astonishing transformations in appearance, feelings of self worth and self confidence. What the media barrage points up is that plastic surgery gone wrong has no respect for who you are.
If you are contemplating elective plastic surgery, what can you do to elude the polar opposite of a marvelous outcome? Here you'll see a roadmap to assist you in fulfilling your end of the equation to avoid what sometimes is popularly called "awful plastic surgery".
1. Ask if your doctor is Board Certified: Be sure that the cosmetic surgeon you select is board certified. The doctor you select choose be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This assures that the physician specializes in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, has received years of cosmetic surgery training, undergone stiff examinations and established the necessary competence in the specialty.
2. Verify that your Doctor specializes in the procedure you're seeking: A plastic surgeon whose specialty is breast implants may not be the best choice to rearrange your nose.
3. Your expectations should be realistic: While cosmetic surgical procedures can deliver astounding improvements in appearance, the precise aesthetics you desire, in reality, may not be attainable. Scrutinize your motives and be realistic and levelheaded.
4. Determine that your physical and emotional health is good: A complete examination of your past and present physical health, emotional health and motives for wanting plastic surgery should be conducted by your doctor.
5. STOP SMOKING! - if you're a smoker: Smoking can lead to complications and hinder achieving the desired result.
6. Consult at least one more physician: Too many unqualified fraudsters seek to entice patients in this field. They can sound very convincing. Be wary, and check, at a minimum, that they are a Board Certified plastic surgeon.
7. Get pictures and testimonials: Any doctor who has a good track record will show you pictures of former patients and provide testimonials. It's a good idea to see if you can speak with prior patients.
8. Be certain you understand the costs of cosmetic surgery: A doctor offering a cut rate may be unqualified. If you are considering leaving the United States for cheaper surgery, bear in mind that many other countries do not adhere to U.S. standards. Do the math, including air fare, hotel, meals, etc.
9. Be aware of the risks of plastic surgery: All surgeries carry risks. Among the risks are infection, anesthesia, reaction to medications, blood clots, respiratory difficulties and death. Plastic surgery is no different.
10. Think twice about having multiple surgical procedures done simultaneously: This poses increased risks, all of which should be discussed with you by your surgeon.
A couple of additional points need to be considered:
Cosmetic plastic surgery is elective and is not covered by most forms of medical insurance. For those on a limited budget, it's well to think about whether paying for surgery for cosmetic reasons will leave you so financially strapped that the anticipated outcome will fail to outweigh the distress of financial hardship.
This raises the question of having plastic surgery performed in another country. While costs can be substantially reduced in countries like Thailand, Brazil and India, you need to take into account the costs of air fare, hotels, meals, etc. Many seemingly attractive packages are promoted, but, in the final analysis, many people report that the only justifiable rationale for exiting the U.S. is for the sake of anonymity (many celebrities do this) or simply to mix the surgery with a vacation.
Your own common sense, armed with the information you assemble following the steps suggested here, will strengthen your chances of having a wonderful new you and preclude a bad plastic surgery outcome.
Related Tags: plastic surgery, cosmetic plastic surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery
Robert G. Knechtel operates several websites covering health and self care issues, including Guide to Plastic Surgery - Articles and News. Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Dental Insurance For Individual Can Be Of Help At Time
Dental problem may cost one a lot of money and pain. But, practicing a reasonable care could decreas
- Personal Trainer For Perfect Health
There is a general misconception that need for a fitness trainer comes for novice or from those who
- Varicose Veins - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
The majority of people after thirty notice the changes that appear with the maturing. In this case t
- Scenar Therapy - Self-treatment Or Healing Partnership
Do you want to learn about a device which will help you to ease your pain? If you get this kind of a
- Scenar - 5 "no, Nos" Of Scenar
Are you fed up with the pain in your body? Various parts of our body seem to ache due to different r
- Scenar Device - 5 Tips On Travelling With Your Scenar (skenar) Device
You might be aware of scenar which has become quite popular these days. This is actually the acronym
- Scenar Therapy - How To Treat Your Pet With Scenar
There are many alternative methods of treatment that are being invented these days. Lots of people a
- Your Options For The Treatment For Appendicitis
Appendicitis is considered to be a surgical illness. Due to its severe character, the treatment for
- How To Choose The Right Copd Medication
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD does not have any cure. But with the help of medicines
- Septic Arthritis: Infectious Agents Penetrate Joints' Spaces
Another major type of arthritis is septic arthritis, which is also known in various terms like: pyog
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Drugs - the Last Alternative for Adhd in Kids
Anyone over the age of thirty who has grown up with ADHD understands that there was not much help av
- Foods To Eat To Gain Weight
Malnutrition has the same degree of problem as obesity. There are people who are too skinny, they fi
- Understanding Postpartum Clothing
The same way most pregnant women dream of the day when they will begin showing for wearing maternity
- Kegel Exercising for Bladder Control and Enhanced Sexual Pleasure
Kegel exercises strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor, thereby improving the urethra and/or rec
- The Use Of Weight Loss Herbs
Nothing has garnered more attention in today's world than the success or failures of weight loss pro
- A Simple Acid Relux Cure
Many people today are afflicted with heartburn. If they eat food that is too spicy, they get heartbu
- Five Effective Household Back Pain Treatments
Back pain treatment comes in lots of forms, from exercise to pain mediction. Standard and most wides
- Herbal Remedies - Can They Cure What Ails You?
You've probably heard about herbal remedies before and how they can treat a variety of health proble
- Natural Relief for Tinnitus - What are your Choices
Natural Relief For Tinnitus - Alternative Options Did you know that there are an estimated 50 t
- Birthing Around the World
Since ancestral times, different cultures showed off different customs and beliefs around the miracl