What Is Keyword Effectiveness Index (KEI)
The Keyword Effectiveness Index (KEI) compares the count result (number of times a keyword is searched within a search engine) with the number of competing web pages to pinpoint which keywords are most effective for your campaign. In combination with some common sense it is a great tool to select high conversion keyphrases you want to target. Always keep 2 basic rules in mind.
1. Every tool is only as good as the person using it.
2. Conversion is king!
Don't expect your customers or clients to speak your language to find you on the web, use theirs. Using the same vocabulary of your customer means that they know you understand their needs and that you can provide them with a solution.
KEI was first introduced by Sumantra Roi. He said that it was a measure of how effective a keyword is for your web site and the formula for it was based on three axioms:
1. the KEI for a keyword should increase if its popularity increases.
2. the KEI for a keyword should decrease if it becomes more competitive. Competitiveness is defined as the number of sites which Google displays when you search for that keyword using exact match search (i.e. you should use quotes around the keyword)..
3. if a keyword becomes more popular and more competitive at the same time such that the ratio between its popularity and competitiveness remains the same, its KEI should increase.
Sumantra Roi's formula behind this assumptions was as follows:
KEI = (P^2/C)*1000
(p=popularity / search count; c=competing sites in Google for that keyphrase).
Roi said that the Keyword Effectiveness Index (KEI) is the square of the popularity of a keyword multiplied by 1000 and divided by the number of sites which appear in Google for that keyword.
A common rule on how to interpret KEI results is that Keyword or keyword phrases less than 10 are considered poor keywords, while keywords above 10 are good keywords. Keyword or keyword phrases above 100 are excellent keywords and should be displayed on your website's home page.
With time other formulas emerged, for example
KEI = (P^2/S)*1000
(p=popularity / search count; s= Google matches for "allintitle" for that keyphrase).
With more and more "formulas" emerging and many SEO pros advocating their own 'proven' way to calculate and more importantly interpret the optimal KEI (we have my own belief too ...) it is important to apply common sense and NOT blindly trust KEIs provided by the different SEO tools. You need to ask yourself . does this make sense for my site and will it convert users into clients? In the end it is just a ratio, but a very effective one if combined with the most important thing we trust! Our own common sense!
Related Tags: seo, search engine optimization, keyword analysis, digital marketing solution, seo hong kong
Gregory Smyth is the CEO of Inetasia Solutions Limited . Gregory has taken the company to great heights with its various e-business solution products, which have become a backbone infrastructural tool that have powered websites for numerous high profile companies.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- What is the Google PageRank: An Easy to Understand Introduction
THE GOOGLE PAGERANK EXPLAINED SIMPLYA common question amongst website owners is, "How is the G
- 3 Easy Way to Get Edu Baclinks
Education websites are the most trusted websites on the internet and if you've got backlinks on thes
- How to Launch Your Own SEO Company
Having knowledge and experience about search engine optimization doesn't really mean it's goin
- Ethical SEO optimization always pays stable search engine rankings
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Sty
- Five Easy to Make Mistakes That Keep Search Engine Robots Away From Your Website
Search engine robots are very simple software programs. If an indexing robot cannot find the conten
- Generate an Intelligent Set of Link Building Services
Link building can be best defined as the most suitable way of promoting a website, however, at the
- It's Time to Develop Intelligent SEO Content Writing
Creating appropriate, value content is significant for a website to get listed on the search engine
- Does Your Website Have No or the Wrong Sitelinks in Google?
What are Sitelinks? Sitelinks are additional links below the description and the URL of a web page
- Search Engine Optimization and Spam - How Will You Know That?
There is a fine line between proper search engine optimization, and what a search engine will consi
- 9 Steps for Making Money Online
I've outlined a step by step marketing process flow, and more, on how to setup an online Money Mark
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Free Search Engine Optimization Tools on the Internet
As I run across tools and websites that I find particularly useful for software and high tech compan
- SEO Explained
Search engine optimization is part science and part art. How well it is done has a lot to do with t
- SEO - Choosing Blog Fonts and Colors
Part of having a cohesive blog design is to choose one or two fonts and two to four colors and stick
- How "Blog-and-Ping" Can Boost Your PageRank
"Blog and Ping" is a term that refers to a technique where you make a post on your blog, and using y
- Top Ranking SEO Secret
Most web programmers and designers now have a good idea of how to optimize their site using on-site
- Affordable Seo: Where Do I Start To Optimize My Website?
The Starting point is clear. Understand what your main competitors are doing. That is Right! If you
- Off Page SEO: The Importance Of Incoming Links And Search Engine Optimization
Off page SEO: The importance of incoming links and search engine optimization Off page seo an in
- Stop Chasing the Search Engines and Get Better Traffic
Search engines are mysterious and unpredictable. One day you might be on the top of the SERPs and t
- How To Get Search Engine Traffic From Kenya in Africa
Traffic from Kenya and Kenyans via search engines like Google basically means unlimited traffic and
- Why Search Engine Fail
Imagine asking a stranger for directions to a clothing store. Chances are, the stranger will