The Separation Anxiety Dog - How to Protect Your Dog From Home When You Leave Home
1. Confine him. Some people think that confining a dog is inhumane; however, it is the safer thing to do. After all, dogs with separation anxiety are prone to feeling anxious and engage in all sorts of frenzied and dangerous activities. Therefore, they are safer confined. With this in mind, many people use a crate or confine their dog with a dog or bay gate. Both methods prevent him from wandering around. In my opinion, a crate is a favorite choice because it keeps your dog in one place and can even help him feel safe and secure in your absence. After all, a dog's natural instinct is to retire in his den and a crate is similar to a den. Regardless of which method you choose, a gate or crate will protect your furniture and household items and keep your dog from harm.
2. Remove dangerous objects. Dogs with separation anxiety typically experience panic when their owners leave home. In fact, many of them resort to a panicked state and they are likely to become destructive and even to put things in their mouths. Just like infants, dogs can't differentiate between good and bad things and sometimes innocent items like string, thread, floss, coins, clips, etc. can end up lodged in their digestive tract and cause them harm, so make sure that you remove these items before you leave home.
3. Remove your dog's tags. This is especially important if your dog is prone to excessive rocking, swaying or moving around in a frenzied state when you leave him alone. By removing his tags, you can ensure that they don't get caught in his crate or gate, which can cause him harm.
4. Protect electrical cords. Many dogs with separation anxiety will chew on objects (especially dangerous electrical cords) when their owners leave. To protect your dog, buy electrical cord protectors from the hardware store. These clever devices are plastic strips that conceal dangerous wires. Another option is "smart power strips." These can sense if your dog bites into them and will immediately shut off power to protect your dog. Another option is to spray furniture and other items with bitter apple, which will prevent him from chewing on them as most dogs dislike the taste immensely.
5. Provide safe alternatives. Many dogs with dog separation anxiety often roam the house looking for their absent human companions. Therefore, you should close toilet seats, remove chemical cleaning products, shut doors and place bitter apple on items you don't want your dog to chew on. Instead, provide your dog with safe alternatives like a special bone or toy that is only available when you leave.
In conclusion, dog separation anxiety can be difficult and frustrating. However, if you take the necessary precautions to protect your dog from harm, you can ensure that he'll be safe in your absence and you'll feel better about leaving him alone.
Related Tags: dog separation anxiety, preventive care dog separation anxiety
Is your dog traumatized when you leave him alone? Don't get mad or frustrated. He may be suffering from dog separation anxiety. Learn proven and humane tips to help him overcome dog separation anxiety once and for all! Visit http://www.dogseparationanxiety.net today!Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Dog Barking - The Message Behind The Noise
Dogs use a wide range of noises to communicate their feelings about everything. If you have a vocal
- How To House Train A Dog
The keys to successful house training are confinement, training, timing and praise. A dog does not n
- Optimizing K-9 Health And Performance
Every Working Dog handler knows that "Failure to Thrive" and "Hip Dysplasia" are big issues for Shep
- Training Aids for Your Special Dog
If you are one of the many dog owners of today that are having a hard time controlling your canine p
- Dog Life Jackets-Don't Let Your Dog Become Another Tragic Statistic
Providing easy visibility and high buoyancy, a dog life jacket or dog life vest is essential for the
- Beardie Sam Goes Missing (4)
It was a freezing January morning - one when the earth truly stood hard as iron, the water like a st
- Benefits of Homemade Dog Food
Homemade dog food is exactly what the name implies - dog food that is made from home. There are man
- Homemade Dog Food - Treat Your Dog to Recipes Fit for a King
It's just a fact - dogs enjoy people food. Dogs love to eat steak, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza and
- Dog Beds! - No, Orthopaedic Dog Beds... Would You Believe it?
I look back at photographs of our wonderful Cocker Spaniel "Sally" and shake my head in disbelief.Wh
- What Genetic Diseases Should Goldendoodle Breeders Be Testing For In The Parents?
What genetic diseases should goldendoodle breeders be testing for in the parents?Goldendoodles are s
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Is An Anatolian Shepherd Dog Puppy The Right Choice For Me And My Family?
The Anatolian Shepherd Dog was developed as a large dog to guard livestock. She is powerful, and rug
- Dog Training Equipment
Dog training is a method of teaching your dog to perform certain activities through obeying your ord
- Your Dog And New Year's Resolutions
The New Year is a time for making resolutions, things that you want to change to make the year a bri
- I Am Thinking of Buying a New Puppy
When you bring home your new puppy, they are so cute and playful, jumping around and getting into ev
- How to Raise Your Dog
So you have decided that you want a pet and have chosen a dog as the animal you would like to share
- Chihuahuas Get a Solid "YES" Vote From Paula Abdul and Other Celebrities
She may not be able to put up with Simon Cowell and his sharp-tongued criticisms on American Idol, b
- Dog Air Travel - Tips for Traveling by Airplane With Your Lovable Dog
Luckily for dog owners, these animals travel by air better than cats. If the dog is accustomed to ca
- Dog Behavior Problem: What To Do About It?
Many of us have lovely dogs, which are like a member of the family. Everyone in the family loves the
- How To Keep Your Dog Free of Fleas
Fleas are more than just disgusting; they will carry several serious diseases, parasites and even we
- Top 5 dog behaviour training tips
Hello fellow dog trainers and people alike. Now, a lot of people have contacted me recently to ask m