When Should You Consider Buying Long Term Care Insurance?
But since none of us have a crystal ball to tell us when we will be having a stroke or heart attack, or be diagnosed with a debilitating disease such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinsons or Alzheimers, we simply can't rely on waiting till the last minute to buy long term care insurance.
The truth is that anyone, at any age, can have an unexpected accident or change in their health that they could not possibly have foreseen that will require long term care. A couple of well-known examples of such a situation is Christopher Reeve and Michael J. Fox.
Unfortunately, many think of long term care insurance as protection that is mainly for older folks. But that is simply not the case. In fact, almost 40% of those receiving long term care are under 65 years of age, testifying to the unpredictability of such a need arising at almost any age.
So, the best age to purchase LTCi is at the earliest age that you:
1. can comfortably afford the premium.
2. have enough income and/or assets to protect that it justifies the cost of the policy.
Another sound reason for getting long term care insurance earlier in life is that the premiums are much less and you will most likely easily qualify for coverage, perhaps even at a preferred rate that will save you considerable amounts of money throughout the life of the policy. Unfortunately, as we age, most people stand a higher risk of developing health conditions that could cause them to become uninsurable at some point, or at least drive up the cost of a good long term care insurance policy substantially.
And since the cost of long term care is not covered by medical health insurance, it only makes sense to protect your assets against one of the most devastating threats to your personal finances. So the earlier you get coverage for long term care, the better, in most cases.
Related Tags: health care, aging, elder care, long term care, nursing home, assisted living
Duane Lipham is a Certified Long Term Care(CLTC) consultant. You can get more free information, news and articles regarding long term care and aging at The Long Term Care Consumer Guide website and The Long Term Care Review Blog.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Motor Trade Rundown
It is not just cars that must be insured on British roads, every type of motor vehicle is required b
- Claiming Compensation For Defective Products
Compensation claims for injury and damage caused by faulty, defective products normally target eithe
- Ideas To Uncover Affordable Rate Auto Coverage
These days, everyone is looking for ways to lower expenses. Certain costs like home and car insuranc
- Should It Be Illegal For People To Drive Without Vehicle Insurance?
There are many drivers on the road who drive un-roadworthy vehicles. The worst part is not that they
- Do You Need Static Caravan Insurance?
Static caravan insurance is an automobile insurance that deals with vehicles that are used while on
- Insurance - Tool For Personal Finance Planning
Financial planning is must for every individual. When we start saving money for our goals, there is
- Family Life Insurance Policy For The Families Staying In Dubai
The main motive of insurance policy is to give financial security to the person's family especially
- Buying Temporary Health Insurance In Florida
You are the resident of Florida? You are between jobs and therefore are not looking for a long term
- Car Insurance Is Of The Utmost Importance In Today's Lifestyle
In today's hectic lifestyle we are always rushing to get from one place to another, whether it be ru
- Health Insurance Companies Are Using New Laws As An Excuse To Raise Their Rates
Government officials are cautioning insurance companies to stop utilizing scare tactics to steam up
Most viewed articles in this category:
- International Health Insurance: Insure Yourself While in Go
We all will agree that whether we are living in our home country or abroad, our health needs constan
- It's Never Too Early to Buy a Long Term Care Health Insurance!
Most people delay buying a long term care health insurance because they think that it is too early t
- Home Owner Insurance Quote: Stay Safe!
Your house will not be fully secured until and unless you have a home owner insurance policy. A home
- The Benefits of Health Insurance Are Immense!
Almost everyone in this world has fallen ill sometime or the other. Apart from illness, many people
- What Happens When You Make An Insurance Claim?
If you've never filed a loss claim before, you might feel nervous and confused about the whole proce
- Pet Health Care Insurance: Show your Pets That you Care!
Having a pet in one's household is a joyful experience. It can provide you with entertainment, compa
- Three Ways to Buy Long Term Care Without Paying Premiums Out of your Pocket
Stop 100 people over 65 on the street and ask them if they will ever need to go to a nursing home an
- Protect That Bauble: Engagement Ring Insurance
Engagement ring insurance can protect your bauble in case a worst case scenario happens...So you've
- Do I Need Diamond Ring Insurance
If you have to ask whether or not you need diamond ring insurance you probably do. There's somethin
- Choosing a Benefits TPA
The use of third-party administrators (TPAs) is one of the hottest trends in insurance today. Accor