7 Tips for Book Promotion Media Events
- Date: 2007-01-23 - Word Count: 431 Share This!
Media events and public appearances can fall into any number of categories and include any number of venues (book stores, radio interviews, television interviews, writing group speeches, presentations, chat room interviews, online book tours, public forums, and more).
1. A good place to identify possible media event locations is through local bookstore. Most bookstores carry event calendars or maintain a list of contact people who hold that information.
2. Browse the calendar listings of your local bookstores and see if a certain book promotion fits with their plans. Sometimes it might be necessary to tailor a planned event for a particular occasion or holiday. If there is contact information available, make a note of it so you can pitch the appropriate person about your event. Depending upon the size of the store, that person is either the regional marketing manager, or the book buyer, or the owner of the store.
3. Follow-up with prospective contacts who have not confirmed dates. Selling yourself and your book is a numbers game, and as any salesperson will tell you, the amount of contact is directly proportional to the amount of sales.
4. Be persistent without being annoying. If, after three or four attempts with a particular media contact, you are still unsuccessful move on to another prospect. But keep those "maybe's" on file... and follow-up again over a holiday with an excuse to send them an email card.
5. Once you secure an event, prepare it thoroughly in advance. People who attend or listen to your events are participating because the advertisement or announcement struck a chord with them. So be sure to deliver what they came to see or hear. Don't be shy about letting them know how to order your book. After all, that's the reason you're holding the event in the first place.
6. Promote your media event aggressively. Invite your friends and family, and if it's within the scope of your marketing budget, advertise in the local paper. Neighborhood papers may even promote your event for free within their "Events" pages. You may even be able to tie it into a book review.
7. The store is sponsoring the event to attract more customers; the station is sponsoring the event to attract more listeners or viewers. Whatever the venue, it is your responsibility to attract the crowd. The venue is just that -- a venue.
About the Author:
Learn more about publishing your own book with a free e-book at www.outskirtspress.com. Brent Sampson is the President & CEO of Outskirts Press at http://outskirtspress.com and the award-winning author of "Self-Publishing Simplified". A free ebook edition is available at http://outskirtspress.com/publishing
Related Tags: writing, promotion, publishing, book publishing, book promotion, self publishing, book marketing, book publicity, book writing, outskirts press, brent sampson, pod, on-demand, print on demand
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Writing an Article
Here are 10 mistakes that writers tend to make when writing articles for newsletters or magazines. K
- Invigorate Your Healthcare Writing With Words That Are Short, Sweet, And Full of Energy
There are certain kinds of phrasing and word choice, especially in official statements, that can soa
- The Case For Customizing Content
You have to consider every angle when you are writing. There are lots of rules to follow and tips to
- Writing Strategies For Creating Viral Content
For anybody involved in content marketing the need to develop writing strategies that will produce t
- Three Key Ways a Writing Coach Can Improve Your College Admission Essay
In an article entitled "Writing The Essay: Sound Advice from an Expert", Parke Muth, Senior Assistan
- Acquiring A Fantastic Proxy - Proxy List
A proxy or proxy server is applied for both effortless obtain to your certain useful resource like a
- Turnkey Sites & Website Templates - A Comparison
I'm constantly finding emails soon after a person buys a offer of Site Desing templates. Some men an
- Standard Manual For Laptop Or Computer Elements & Software
For many people today, computer system sections plus the innards of the computer system are anything
- Different Kinds Of Cameras Can Be Used For Webcams
There are many physical components that make the technology of the PC camera webcam work. The import
- What Can Pc Camera Webcam Bring To Us And How It Works?
The PC camera webcam can be used in a wide range of aspects. Such as personal "Big Brother" style di
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Don't Put Off Writing that Book!
If writing that book you've always had in mind tops your list of resolutions or regrets, hiring a wr
- How To Write A Better Press Release
A press release is the most effective way to generate free publicity for your business or organizati
- Writing on the Hoof
Finding inspiration when you are writing is often a haphazard affair. When you are physically ready
- Focus On Nigeria
Focus on Nigeria Nigеria is a natural gas and oil rich country that is bordеrеd b
- How to Write Great Dialogue in Your Book
Dialogue isn't so much read as it is heard by the reader. The eyes see the words on the page, the b
- Women SUV Driver from www.thefrap.com
Why do so many women drive around in the oversized SUV's, the Tahoe, Excursion, Escalade
- How To Write Good Articles
As a writer you may be ready to cash in on the need for web content. There is a lot of money that c
- NEWS FLASH: Technical Communicator Saves World
I had a boss several years ago who was amused by my earnest and relentless preaching about the impor
- Writers Resources
Writers use certain inherent talents to come up with their pieces of writing. However, they do need
- Popular Articles
Articles are those that are available in plenty these days in the internet. The articles are written