Smart Strategies for Leasing Homes, Condos, Duplexes and Town Homes in a Tight Housing Market
2. Remember, you can't open the door to view the place without a REALTOR or the owner present. Thank goodness for the MLS (multiple listing service) which should be using to find you that perfect house. Pick the areas of town that you might want to live in and then search the database for available houses in your price range. You should eliminate about 80% of homes for one reason or another just by doing this. The remainder will be you and your realtors focus.
3. Unlike apartments, homes will require substantial deposits and they don't accept checks or cash. They will want certified funds, (money order, cashiers check) so you may need to budget. Contrary to popular belief, most homes are owned by people like you and I and not big shot investors. They are looking for people who will pay on time and not tear the place up. Can you blame them! On the one hand, they can be picky, but unlike many apartments, they are often realistic in their expectations. Each landlord will have different requirements and as a rule the nicer the place the more closely they will look at your overall credit score. REALTORS must work with each individual landlords requirements, as well as comply with the law.
4. Very few REALTORS lease, mostly because the the commissions are so low and there's so much more work involved when compared to leasing apartments or selling homes. So when you find one that does specialize in leasing they are an enormous an en in your search for a new home Please understand, They are not tour guides. It's very important that you be prepared. Homes lease very fast, especially nice or well located properties It gets very competitive out there .So, when we look:
1. Have all parties (lease signers) to the property at the same time to look.
2. Have your funds ready and be prepared to make a decision.
When should I start looking
Remember, apartments and homes require different strategies. You should begin by studying the different houses available to you online no sooner than 30 days before you want to move. This will give you a feel for what's available in a given area. BUT there is no point in looking because, unlike apartments, Landlords will not hold a home for you for more than a week or so. What you look at today will be long gone in a month. It is best to seriously consider places( to physically look) to rent only about two weeks before you intend to move Unless specifically stated for pre-lease, landlords usually take the first qualified applicant with the earliest move-in date. This is why you must be prepared with your deposits and you must be ready to make a decision. The vast overwhelming majority of people prefer living in a house or duplex over an apartment. That's what makes it so competitive.
Management companies handle most of the properties and they are typically closed on week-ends. Of course you can look on week-ends but may not be able to do anything application wise. Sometimes, that's a good thing, it gives you some breathing room to think. If you happen to be from out of town be sure and give yourself enough time.
Always have a backup "stuff happens" agents forget to remove the listing from the MLS, it gets leased sight unseen, the owner changes his mind about moving. Like I said,it's not like looking at apartments. Again one more reason, being prepared is so vitally important.
What about my pets
Many people move into a home so there dog will have a yard. However ,many landlords don't accept pets in their house. The MLS will usually spell out pet policies and the deposits normally run $300 to $500 . Sometimes they let you split it up. Typically they like smaller animals under 25lbs or so, but this can vary quite a bit. and because it's so individualized, It may depend on your credit and of course a credible case by your agent. If you have a pet, it is pointless to look at homes that wont accept them. You do not want to tie up a grand or so of your cash and lose a week only to be denied because you failed to mention your dog.
Why you should use a REALTOR to find your next home.
1. While, It's true, driving around looking at homes for lease or sale may be a national pastime, please understand, many of them are occupied. If the garage is closed and the drapes drawn, you may not be able to tell. Peering in someone's bedroom window is usually a very bad idea and if they have a big dog... well.... I know I wouldn't want to be on that bus.
2. You can't open the door and if you call off the sign then your on yet,.. another agents schedule,( " I'll be right over, let me just pick up the kids at school and drop this movie off at Blockbuster") It is infinitely easier and obviously smarter to have one dedicated person there and able to open each and every door today for you.
3. The MLS has virtually every property for lease in your city. By looking and doing your homework online beforehand and talking with your REALTOR you can eliminate 80% of properties that don't work for you. That will save you hours of mindlessly driving around. and especially eliminate the problem of missing the street where the perfect house for you is located .
The system a realtor uses to find you the perfect home is sound, efficient, and will save you a lot of time, money and frustration. Plus it's fun and interesting! However, it requires a whole lot of work on the realtors part. Please be considerate of your REALTOR. They work on commission only.
Related Tags: house for rent, homes for rent, rental housing, duplex for rent
My name is Steve Lawes and I'm both a REALTOR and a locator here in Austin Texas. These tips can make your life easier and get you a nicer place to live. You can always visit my website for more information on leasing in general. http://www.apartments911.com Thanks and happy hunting.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Equipment Leasing- Benefits And Pitfalls
Talk of business growth and profits, the two most essential elements that come into picture are equi
- Buy A Car Or Lease A Car?
It's the classic dilemma that faces every auto-consumer out there: Pay cash upfront or forgo the own
- Essential Information For Equipment Leasing And Finance
Are you planning for to get equipment finance for your business?This article presents essential info
- The History Of Roops Mill
The Spa at Roop's Mill is the only full service private day spa in Carroll County. It is located in
- Lease Agreement Forms: Is Your Rental Lease Agreement Airtight?
Lease agreement forms are the heart and soul of every tenancy - They decide the rules of your lease
- Leasing Retail Space - Location Facilities And Future Development
Parking Research whether the retail space you are considering has adequate parking. Consider both th
- Live In The Lap Of Luxury With Luxury Car Leasing
Many businesses and corporate persons opt for car leasing and used car leasing when deciding on an a
- Is It Advisable To Consider Sale-leaseback Financing?
Many business owners and financial managers are often faced with the consideration of utilizing a sa
- Equipment Leasing - Information About How To Use It For Funding Resources For Your Firm
If you're interested in equipment leasing agreements then it should not be tough to source an applic
- Your Most Important Negotiation
No single element has to be more right than your rent. Getting locked into an expensive lease straps
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Commerce Michigan Real Estate: Buy A Home On A Lease Option And Stop Wasting Money On Rent
Many Commerce Michigan real estate owners and wanna be homeowners are facing real problems. The num
- Fractional Ownership And Flexible Renting - Second Homes With A Social Conscience
Many people who consider buying a second home (or vacation home) face a dilemma. Even if you can a
- How To Qualify For An Equipment Lease
Unless you are a large corporation, you will have to personally guarantee your lease and your credit
- Using A European Lease To Purchase A Boat
If there is a single concept which has revolutionized the car industry in recent years, it is the id
- Mastering the Art of Lease or Rental Agreement
Before mastering the art of lease or rental agreement, one has to understand the basics of it. A lea
- Investing In Las Vegas
Las Vegas is a famous tourist spot. It is all the more famous and popular for legalized gambling in
- Lease Options: Turning Renters to Partners
Lease options which turn renters into partners is a means for people who cannot afford a huge down p
- Finding an Office Space in Manhattan
Finding an office space in Manhattan seems like a very hard task, and as everything else in the real
- What To Do If Your Tenant Goes Into Rent Arrears
Although you might have some great tenants in your property, there is no way to predict whether or n
- Learn About The Lease with Option to Purchase agreement for Michigan
A lease with option to purchase agreement for Michigan is becoming widely sought after as slack hous