When is the Right Time to Upgrade Software?
I don't claim to be a "techie," but I thought I would say a few words about upgrading software programs. If you use software, such as Microsoft Office, on a regular basis, how often should you upgrade to a newer version? That depends on several factors, such as support (is your current version still supported by the software company?), features, and compatibility with other software programs on your computer.
I recently upgraded my version of Office XP to Office 2003. However, it took me a long time to make the decision to upgrade. The XP version had all of the features I thought I needed. The programs - Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, all seemed to be working fine, and XP was still supported by Microsoft. Well, being a business person in an administrative profession, I need to constantly update my software skills, and that includes working with various office software applications. As I came across online training classes for Word, Excel, etc., I started to realize that classes in XP applications were no longer being offered. That is really what cinched it for me. Since upgrading, I've also come to like certain features in each of the programs. I'm also learning Publisher, which came with the upgraded version, and may help me with desktop publishing projects for my clients.
The bottom line is that as long as your current software programs offer you everything you need, there is no reason to upgrade to a newer version unless you simply want to. It's really a subjective, individual preference. That is my take on upgrading software!
© 2006 Cynthia Morse, Virtually At Your Service. All rights reserved.
Cynthia Morse CAP is a Virtual Assistant, and the owner of Virtually At Your Service, http://www.virtuallyatyourservice.biz.
She offers top-level administrative support to small business owners and other busy professionals from her home office, allowing them the time to focus on what they love and do best. Visit her blog, 'Virtual Biz Connection',
http://virtuallyatyourservice.typepad.com/virtualbizconnection. It's full of tips, helpful articles and resources for your small business!
Recent articles in this category:
- Web Development Projects - Developers Tools Tips
Open source usually refers to software that is released with source code under a license that ensur
- A Guide to Cnc Kits
Building a CNC machine means that you would require a lot of tools, parts or different components.
- Xlphoto Printing, the Best Choice for Banner Printing and Poster Printing
Suppose, you have visited a tourist spot or a hill station; over there, you have witnessed some of
- Reliable Software Programming
Software reliability is an important facet of software quality. It is defined as "the probability
- Designing an Ecommerce Site
In a recent article I talked about Google AdSense placement based on eye-tracking research. Howeve
- Asp.net Development Benefits
Rightway solution has been keenly looking out for. Microsoft ASP.NET is a free technology that allo
- Choosing Offshore Software Development Company
To turn into successful and gain the full benefits of software outsourcing, you require preferring
- E-commerce and Web Portal Development in Vietnam
VIETNAM, owing to its superior intellectual capital has emerged as the ultimate destination for
- Types of Softwares
Computer software is a general term used to describe a collection of computer programs, procedur
- Offshore it Out Sourcing Consultancy in Vietnam
Vendors who provide Off shore IT Outsourcing Consultancy services are referred to as outsourcing
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Oracle Applications (Oracle E-Business Suite) Customizations: What is it?
Oracle recommends every company that installs Oracle Applications to avoid any customization, but I
- Offshore Outsourcing: An All Win Premise
The awareness that outsourcing can boost productivity sans forfeit of class has impelled MNC’s
- Oracle E-Business Suite vs. Microsoft Dynamics AX - Axapta: LATAM and Brazil
In this small article we will only concentrate on Microsoft Dynamics Axapta (and will not consider M
- SAP Business One vs. Microsoft Dynamics GP - highlights for consultant
In this small article we will not make side-by-side technical specs comparison. We would rathe
- Microsoft Great Plains - licensing and product versions
Current Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains has more that 10 years of history. Former Gr
- OCR Software - Optical Character Recognition or Optical Crud Recognition?
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) refers to a software technology and processes that involve the t
- Microsoft Dynamics AX - Axapta - technical notes plus customization
Axapta or current name Microsoft Dynamics AX has one of the newest ERP design and architecture among
- Microsoft Dynamics AX-GP-NAV-CRM: trends and international recommendations
Microsoft Great Plains/Microsoft Dynamics GP, Microsoft Navision (former Attain) Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft Moves to Small Business Accounting/Retail Market - stakes and thoughts
In this small article we will be looking at the new opportunities for Microsoft Small Business Serve
- Microsoft Axapta - Dynamics AX: Brazilian Portuguese version - consultant highlights
Axapta/Microsoft Dynamics AX short overview. Navision Axapta was designed by Navision Software