Increase in Identity Theft Reports
What is a key logger? This is code that is put onto your computer without your knowledge and consent, and that tracks and records your keystrokes - and that means ALL keystrokes including your personal data, financial details and passwords. It is powerful software designed with malicious intent - to steal from you.
You can add to this the increase in the number of "phishing" and an increasing number of "pharming" alerts, mainly conducted via email scams.
Identity theft is not benign and exerts a powerful and economically significant burden amongst businesses and individuals throughout the world. In the US, the annual cost to the overall economy is a staggering $50 billion and at least $3.2 billion is lost in the UK each year. Other countries have similar tales of woe, with the most prosperous nations being victims of more concentrated targeting.
Everyone is a potential victim. No longer can it be assumed that it is a crime that someone else falls victim to. The figures speak for themselves but disguise the personal devastation faced by identity theft victims.
But there are methods to reduce the risk - many of them very simple, straightforward and sensible. McAfee provides a sensible guide in the form of "tips" to help us avoid being potential victims. Developing an increased awareness, according to McAfee, is the best first policy.
Related Tags: identity theft, identity crime
For further information and resources on identity theft, internet crime and online security visit the New Identity Theft website operated by Eric Hartwell.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Phishing Baits - Is Someone Phishing for You?
Phishing is a term that you have probably heard before if you have been around the Internet for any
- Identity Theft is the Fastest Growing Nationwide Fraud Today
Last year nearly 10 million identity thefts were reported, alone, in US. It is a nationwide growing
- Avoid Becoming A Victim Of Identity Theft
Identity theft is the least understood of all problems, though this assumption of our identities for
- How To Prevent Your Mail Being Used In Identity Theft
One of the methods that criminal get your personal information is through your mail, this can either
- Drastically Reduce Your Risk of Identity Theft
This whole identity theft thing gives you the creeps, right? You're not only infuriated by, but terr
- Where Have All The Corner Mail Boxes Gone? Identity Theft
Have you ever had a credit card stolen? Have you ever had your wallet stolen? Have you ever had your
- Identity Theft - A Few Tips To Think About
When people think of identity theft, they usually think of having their purse or wallet stolen. The
- Stop Identity Theft for Good
Identity theft is one of the most agonizing crimes that can happen to you if you have built any type
- Your Credit Cards May Be at Risk - Few Tips to Prevent Credit Card Theft and Fraud
More and more people are using credit and debit cards when they go shopping. It is convenient to jus
- Identity Theft Help - Lock out The Thieves
Millions of people will need identity theft help because their identity has been stolen this year an
Most viewed articles in this category:
- California Man Faces 101 Years in Prison for Identity Theft
A man in California is facing a prison sentence of up to 101 years after a jury found him guilty of
- Voice Recognition for Avoiding Credit Card Fraud!
However, the main annoyance this product shows is that due to the built in microphone, a loudspeaker
- Identity Theft: 9 Tips Which May Help
Identity Theft: 9 Tips Which May Help1. Phishing Scams Awareness - these often take the form of e-ma
- Am I a Victim of Identity Theft?
Being a victim of identity theft is something that everybody should dread. Identity crime is increas
- We Can All be Victims of Identity Theft
Identity crime is particularly on the increase and can have far-reaching and devastating consequence
- Identity Theft White Paper from McAfee
A recent white paper released by McAfee entitled "Identity Theft" shows that there has been a dramat
- Identity Theft - The Time Bomb On Your Desktop
Way back at the very birth of PC software, programmers faced a major dilemma and that was, just how
- Repair Your Identity Theft Problems
If you have been a victim of identity theft, have you gone through the process of restoration? No? t
- Protecting Yourself from Identity Fraud
Your identity is extremely valuable. You need it to prove who you are for various purposes in your
- Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
If you exist you will be compromised by Identity Theft. You can shred every piece of mail you receiv