You Can Afford Your Dream Vacation Home
When deciding where to buy a second home, many potential buyers look to the vacation spots-- areas that are often beachfront, lakefront, or mountaintop. These are areas are typically pricey, due to supply and demand-- there's only so much property on the beach, lake, etc. However, if you make the decision to rent your property out when you're not using it, you should be able to easily cover your mortgage payments.
Vacation rental expert Christine Karpinski weighed in on this topic in her recent podcast, Intro to Vacation Rentals. "I tell people that the best thing to do is to determine your affordability factor. Figure out how much you can spend out of your pocket each month for your second home," she says. "If you have a disposable income of $2000 each month, you could afford a $200,000 home or you could afford a $4000 a month property if you factor in rental revenue that will help offset the cost," she goes on to say.
She explains her simple formula for determining if you can afford a vacation property, "If your mortgage payment is less than or equal to one peak week that you can rent your property for and you can rent that property for 17 weeks a year then that property will break even."
If you do your research and commit to renting your vacation property by owner, your dream vacation home is within your grasp.
Related Tags: vacation home, second home, vacation rental, buying a home
For more tips and advice for vacation rental owners and those thinking about renting their second home, visit the Owner Community at HomeAway.com, a great resource featuring educational articles, vacation rental news, owner polls, monthly newsletters, and a weekly internet radio show by bestselling author Christine Karpinski.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Competing Bids
OK, here's the deal. You have found that perfect home. Its in the right area, has all the right bene
- Home Buying 101 - How Much Earnest Money Do I Need?
Every home buyer loves the process of visiting homes and finding that perfect place to call home. Si
- How to Avoid the Five Biggest Home Buying Mistakes?
While buying a home is without a doubt an exciting endeavor in some cases home buyers overlook thing
- How to Find the Right House with the Right Layout Design?
Buy a home with a layout design that suit your needs and be comfortable for you is important. Unfort
- Guidelines for First Time Home Buyers
Many first time homebuyer's feel as though they are limited in what they can buy because of budget r
- Find The Best Realtor In Chicago
Moving from one home to another can be a stressful time. One the one hand, you are leaving behind a
- Why Real Estate Options Are Less Risky, More Profitable, and Easier Use Than Most Property-Flipping Strategies Being Taught Today
The problem with 99 percent of all theproperty-f lipping strategies being taught today is that they
- Buying Property in Mexico
If you plan to buy property in Mexico it is very important you receive as much information as possib
- Struggling First Time Buyers In The UK - Look At Spanish Property!
With the average UK property price now reaching 100,000 pounds, rising mortgage rates and a tax mad
- First Time Buyers
Interest rates are among the lowest in decades and the availability of housing of all varieties is a
Most viewed articles in this category:
- 8 Real Estate Negotiation Tips
When buying a real estate investment:1. Check if the seller is motivated to sell the propertyIn real
- Probate Real Estate - The Road Less Traveled To Real Estate Riches
Wonder why it's become so difficult to obtain foreclosure properties at deeply discounted prices? D
- Hillsborough County Real Estate - Where the Younger Crowd Wants to Live
Hillsborough County, Florida includes the large incorporated metro areas of Tampa, Temple Terrace an
- Where to Buy a Vacation Rental Home
So you've made up your mind to get into the vacation rental business. Where should you buy a propert
- Sarasota Real Estate Sales Downtrend: A Buyer's Opportunity
Experts give advice to prospective buyers: Don't be afraid to bargain for your dream home in Saraso
- 5 Myths of UK housing Market
1. A shortage of supply means prices will never fall. Often people will say because of high demand a
- Laguna Niguel Real Estate Buyer's Guide
Laguna Niguel is a large community in South Orange County, CA. From a Real Estate Prospective, Lagu
- First Time Home Buying
First time home can be a real challenge from learning all the real estate "Lingo" to trying to get t
- Why Not in the Philippines?
According to an Ibon research, an estimated 3,000 Filipinos leave the country everyday to find jobs
- The 6 Basic Steps To Buying A House, Condo Or Townhouse In Florida - Part III
In the previous article in this series I covered the second step - Beginning the financial preparati