What Are The Costs Of Hiring Culturally-Incompetent Staff?
Additionally, the subsidiary office's Human Resources Department does not see the importance of assisting an Assignee's acculturation process. Especially so in Singapore, much touted as a model multicultural society; it is not possible for the Assignee to experience any form of Culture Shock. Or so Human Resources would like to believe.
There is researched and published evidence that as many expatriates failed to adjust to their new environment as those who do not. Yet, these organizations persist in the belief that they could replace failed Expatriates anytime midway through; or upon expiry of their contracts.
At what cost?
* Team cohesion and subsequent department-wide productivity are affected
* Company's Competitive Advantage is affected
* Taking replacement Assignee through the paces
* Financial losses as a result of:
- Initial hiring and subsequent placement:
=> the Assignee is either seconded or hired in his home country, or third country
=> advertisement costs, or Recruiter's/Headhunter's fees
=> training costs involved if Assignee is a Trainee Graduate
- Costs that arise from housing, medical, transport and other allowances
- Other benefits: spousal or family resettlements:
=> applications of Dependant's Pass and/or Letter of Consent from Singapore's Manpower Ministry if spouse or partner decides to work
=> assistance in finding schools for children
* Company's reputation is at stake:
- Customers will take their business elsewhere
The above is not exhaustive although representative of the issues faced by both International Assignees and organizations. Nevertheless, these costs are more expensive than a Cross-Cultural Coaching and Follow-Up Sessions put together.
Related Tags: costs, cultural incompetency, importance of intercultural training, cross-cultural training
Ange Teo is the Founder of e2m expat etiquette mentoring, a Singapore-based Cross-Cultural Communications Solutions Provider.
Having worked with some of the world's leading multinational companies and Singapore-based small medium enterprises for over 20 years; Ange Teo has a good understanding on the intricacies of Intercultural work relations. Hence, her intense belief in the importance of Cross-Cultural Competency - a critical aspect of an organization's global competitive advantage.
For more information about e2m Cultural Intelligence [CQ]-focused Communications Solutions, please visit e2m expat etiquette mentoring. Daily Cross-Cultural News and Tips: Going Gobal - Are You?Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Smile Therapy At The Front Desk
Walk into any type of medical office and the first thing you should see is a smile with a warm and f
- Right Choice Of Words For Effective Business Communication
Communication is a process by which meanings are exchanged among people through the use of words. Bu
- Improve Your Relationships by Cutting Them Off At Their Knees!
Perhaps your work colleagues are causing you to experience stress through their methods of communica
- Don't Throw The Baby Out With The Bathwater
I recently read about a business philosophy that is starting to become a popular water cooler topic
- What's Your Communication Quotient? Workplace Communication - Your Key to Success!
Forget GQ! These days it's your CQ that matters...your Communication Quotient. Degrees and awards a
- Not Understanding Questions - Is It Me or Is It Them?
To begin with, this is a great question. Let's begin by breaking down what you've just asked me into
- Speaking with Your Authentic Voice
Imagine a world where everyone spoke their truth.If that stirs up an, "Oh my Gosh, I couldn't do tha
- Is High Definition Video Conferencing Right for Your Business?
If you are looking into purchasing a video conferencing solution for your business, chances are you
- Workplace Predators
Polar bears are known for fierceness and lack of natural predators, although wolves and walruses can
- Profound Communication
To be a profound, or at least half-way decent, communicator you must know the basics of communicatio
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Intercultural Stereotyping: We Are All Guilty Of It!
Defined as "beliefs about the characteristics, attributes, and behaviours of members of certain grou
- Think Local, Act Global
Any observant professional would have now been aware of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank's advertisem
- Communicating with Singaporeans: Understanding 6 Key Aspects
To the first-time visitor, Singapore is a thoroughly Asian country with Western trappings. Not to me
- Listening is Loving
When you really listen to other human beings you are:• honoring their unique presence in the univers
- 14 Work Behavior Sins You Don't Want to Make
Are you a good co-worker, or are you annoying the life out of those around you? Many people claim t
- How To Understand Cross-Cultural Analysis
Cross-cultural analysis could be a very perplexing field to understand with many different viewpoint
- Laughter and Fun are the Best Medicine for Companies
The immune system is the body's defence mechanism to handle viruses. Laughter and fun have been he
- Eye Protection and Safety Glasses - Workplace Safety
The most common form of eye protection is safety glasses. I have always hated wearing safety glasse
- Important Uses Of Stickers And Labels In Your Business
For businesses, the need to be orderly and organized when it comes to documents, files and records i
- Creating Workplace Harmony: Discover and Release Hidden Causes of Tension
There is nothing that disrupts productivity and satisfaction at the workplace as much as tension tha