How to Use Invoice Factoring as a Business Loan Alternative

by Marco Terry - Date: 2008-10-17 - Word Count: 436 Share This!

Getting business financing is one of the bigger challenges for business owners - especially during these times. Although it's well known that getting a business loan has never been easy, nowadays getting business financing appears to be close to impossible.

Although getting a small business loan may be very difficult, there are other forms of business financing that remain relatively easy to obtain. However, not all solutions are suited for every type of business. For example, most companies that sell to commercial clients have to give customers 30 to 60 days to pay the invoices. However, they need to pay suppliers and employees regularly. This creates a situation where a company may have a substantial amount of money due to it - but very little actual cash at hand.

This creates a very real problem for business owners. On one hand they have a growing business that had a lot of potential, but on the other hand they have their resources tied in unpaid invoices, leaving little working capital to execute their plans.

Ideally, you should be able to go to your clients and ask that they pay their invoices quickly. But that will never work. Large corporate clients tend to demand payment terms as a condition of working with them. It's a take it or leave it scenario. But what if they did pay quickly? That can be achieved by using invoice factoring.

Invoice factoring is a business financing tool that can eliminate the challenges of waiting for payment. It provides you an advance on your soon to be paid invoices, providing the working capital you need to pay employees and suppliers. It also enables you to take on larger orders, since you no longer need to wait to get paid.

Factoring your invoices is fairly simple. Once the work is completed, you sell the invoice to a factoring company. The factoring company buys the invoice in two installments. The first installment pays for 80% of the value of the invoice. The second installment, paid once the invoice is paid for by your client, pays for the remaining 20%, less the finance fee.

One major advantage of invoice factoring is that it's easy to obtain. The most important requirement is that you do business with solid commercial clients that pay their invoices on time. Also, you company must be free of commercial liens, judgments and encumbrances.

Given that invoice factoring lines are based on your client base, they usually grow with you sales. This can be a great advantage over a conventional business loan, as your financing will adapt dynamically with your business based on current conditions.

Related Tags: business financing, factoring, invoice factoring

About Us

Looking for business loans? We can provide a great business loan alternative. For more business financing information or small business loan alternatives, please visit our web site.

Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles

© The article above is copyrighted by it's author. You're allowed to distribute this work according to the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs license.

Recent articles in this category:

Most viewed articles in this category: