Compost Bins - Take Care When Handling Compost, Follow These Handy Compost Tips
It works by providing food for microorganisms and these microorganisms produce nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus naturally for the soil, improving soil fertility.
Apart from being good for the environment, composting is also economically sensible, helping to reduce the pressure on landfills which, once full, pose problems for local government. It is not easy finding new sites for landfills.
Did you know that almost half of the average rubbish bag can be composted and most is not?
Given our environmental pressures this does not make sense. Worse still, when it comes to landfills garden waste and kitchen scraps break down into methane, a potentially explosive greenhouse gas, and leachate which can pollute our water. This is why composting - and recycling in a garden compost bin - is such a good thing to do for our environment.
However, if you are handling compost, you need to take some basic health and safety precautions. Garden compost contains various living organisms. On rare occasions, these have been associated with illness and allergies in humans particularly people with compromised immune systems or respiratory illness. And because of this, it is important to always:
1. Wash your hands after handling compost. Compost contains bacteria and this can react with your skin.
2. Wear proper protective gloves at all times, and especially if your skin is broken or if the garden compost is hot).
3. Avoid working with compost in confined spaces.
4. Keep your compost moist to prevent spores and dust flying in your face. (And it helps keep the bacteria composting because bacteria stops when it gets too dry.)
5. Wear a face mask.
Related Tags: gardening, environment, composting, compost, compost bins, composters
Alan Paterson is the Managing Director of Compost Oven Pty Ltd, Australia's leading supplier of hot composting solutions. Do the right thing by the environment and talk to us about compost bins today.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Online Gardening Store Diy Matters Launch New Product Terram Root Guard
One of the largest importers of landscaping fabric and weed control fabric in the UK has launched a
- Snow Removal Burlington
When deciding on a company to provide professional snow removal in Burlington and the surrounding Go
- Important Aspects Of Slate Stone Tiles
Slate stones are found in large deposits in the coastal regions, due to random mixture of different
- How To Choose Between Asphalt Or Concrete Driveway Pavers
Beautifully designed driveway pavers can undoubtedly improve the appearance of your house. If you ar
- Sandstone Export From India
Sandstone is produced when natural cement such as silica, iron or lime makes dense large lumps of sa
- Granite Suppliers In India
Amongst all stones used for building, Granite must be the most exclusive. It is put to various uses
- Packers And Movers In Hyderabad
When it comes to Packers and Movers, YReach is the first choice to reach. As with any other service
- Choosing Pool Cleaner And Maintaining Your Pool
A pool automatic cleaner is very useful equipment that can help you to reduce the difficulty for mai
- Create A Backyard Getaway
A few years ago, we were landscaping our new home and had a consultant come in to give us some ideas
- How To Keep Your Outdoor Landscaping Safe In Cold Weather
When you think of Florida you probably picture sunny days, pristine beaches and hot days on the golf
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Gazebo Blueprints
In order to use existing open spaces in the backyard or lawn, people opt to install gazebos. They ar
- The Best Deck Material
It is always nice to have a backyard at your home and if you are one of the lucky ones to have a dec
- Psychic Garden Rapport
A psychic garden is an adventure of many different dimensions. It is a personal relationship: with t
- The History of the Tomato
Tomato history has had its origins traced back to the Aztecs around 700AD, therefore it is believed
- A Greenhouse Kit for Both Amateur and Professional Gardeners
What is a Greenhouse?Greenhouses are garden structures designed to cultivate plants by harnessing th
- History Of Grapevines
The first documentation of grapevines growing in the Americas was discovered in researching the logb
- Lawn Mowers Power
Keeping a clean and nice garden or lawn is not an easy task, it is always a source of great pride to
- Organic Gardening with Compost - Using Compost for a Naturally Healthy Lawn and Garden
'Mature' organic compost is a natural and simple choice for solving those problems. An application o
- Lawn Aeration Benefits
Aerating your lawn is one of the most important things you can do to keep your lawn healthy and attr
- The Most Important Components for Your Deck Rail Plans
For anyone who isn't aware about creating a plan for the deck railings, you should know that a deck