Real Estate Articles - Where Are Real Estate Values Going Now?
The state of housing supply, like many other factors, is not the same in all parts of the country. Some areas have enough empty homes to meet demand for a long time to come. In other areas the building boom never came, and so the supply is more in line with demand.
In general there is an over-supply in the country still. Watch as that is eaten up and at some point prices may spike upwards, since it will take some time for builders to realize it is safe to build a few homes as speculations again. If you can't find the statistics you need easily for your area, you can call the local board of realtors and ask how many homes are sold each month. Then divide that into the number of MLS listing to see if the supply is below six months yet (this is a more normal supply).
The foreclosure rate will also affect the supply going forward. We may still have an increasing rate of foreclosures due to loans that are due to adjust their interest rates. That will put more homes on the market, and because banks need to sell fast they will sell cheap, potentially lowering the prices of all real estate. When foreclosures start declining prices may rebound.
One of the things that has affected demand for real estate is the first time home buyers tax credit. It has been an $8,000 motivation to buy, but it will likely have expired by the time you read this. That means we might see less demand going forward.
Interest rates have also been near historic lows, which always helps demand. If they rise much there will be millions of potential buyers who will qualify for tens of thousands of dollars less on a mortgage loan. That might push demand down, especially for homes that are above average in price.
Immigration, both legal and otherwise, creates demand for housing. During the boom years even illegal immigrants were able to get home loans, and those that rented single family homes contributed to demand for those through the investment purchases of their landlords. Immigration has slowed, and due to the recession many illegal immigrants have even returned to their home countries. If you see immigration levels returning to normal that will be a good sign for real estate values.
Unemployment is still rising as I write this, and that dampens demand, as well as increasing supply due to foreclosures. When total employment in the country starts rising again that will be a good sign for home prices. Watch your local unemployment figures as well, since they may change before the rest of the nation (or afterwards, for that matter).
In addition to raw supply and demand issues, there is the matter of inflation. Although it is not yet showing in prices of real estate or even most other goods, that will change. The government is creating money at a historic rate, and as soon as the recession is clearly over and employment starts to rise, we can expect that to push the prices of almost everything up.
Watch the things outlined here to predict real estate values going forward. In the mean time, consider the current slump to be a huge sale for homes and other properties.
Copyright Steve Gillman. To see a photo of the house we bought for $17,500, get a free ebook on how to buy Cheap Homes, and a free real estate investing course, visit: http://www.HousesUnderFiftyThousand.com
Related Tags: real estate, homes, real estate values
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Current Affairs Articles - How to Get on Google's Major 10 Record
A issue I generally asked by new customers is why some internet sites rank larger on Yahoo than othe
- Christianity Articles - Prophets are not God's PR men - Evangelism is not cheerleading
Andy Warhol may have been slightly off when he said everyone is allowed their fifteen minutes of fam
- Internet Articles - Web of Intent
It has been a while since I have written a general interest piece and my reasons for not doing so
- Christianity Articles - Ways to Proceed with Hope
Onward and upward in the new decade From Paul's letter to the Philippians Chapter 3 verses 12
- Advice Articles - Activate your gifts in the new decade
In Two Timothy Chapter 1 verse 5 through 7 read as follows from the NIV version of the Bible: 5
- Current Affairs Articles - Shopping For A Great MP3 Or MP4 Player
Electronics wholesalers carry are so numerous, and sometimes the techie mumbo jumbo used to describe
- Entertainment Articles - Bachelorette Party New York
If you are planning a bachelorette party New York style in the months of December thru the month of
- Food & Beverages Articles - India has emerged as one of the fastest growing markets for wine on the global map
Indian Wine Industry Forecast to 2012 report ( http://www.bharatbook.com/Market-Research-Reports/Ind
- Christianity Articles - The Three Rs of Prophetic Warning - Old Time Stuff that still Works Today
Due to the emphasis on the R sound (phoneme) in reading, writing and arithmetic early American pione
- Consumer Articles - An easy and effective way to lose weight !
Want to become slender? want to become muscular? If you are still on the conventional ways to los
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Men and Women of Lost
Maybe you've never seen the excellent television series Lost, or maybe you've only recently become h
- Why Universal Health Care Could be a Conservative Republican's Dream
Republicans, conservative Republicans in particular, have been notoriously resistant to the idea of
- Christian Spiritual Current Affairs Hitchens is not Great: The Poison of Pride
In the sixties one of the more hackneyed slogans of the time was from Friedrich Nietzsche's Joyo
- Finance & Investment Investment Current Affairs Investment Politics 2008: What's (left) In Your Wallet?
The parade of promises is marching down Main Street. For too many months to come, politicians
- Health Consumer Current Affairs How Drug Research Is Distorted
Do you think that the drug research done by pharmaceutical companies is honest? Think ag
- Christian Spiritual Current Affairs U.S. and EU Strengthen Ties - Prophecy Train Tops the Grade
With nearly every major facet of second coming prophecy falling into place in the last forty yea
- Christian Blogs Current Affairs Christophobes - The New American Bullies
Phobias are fears. The list of phobias in American culture is growing by leaps and bounds. Chris
- Christian Entertainment Current Affairs Spiderman and other Hollywood Heroes Save America from Repression
The "Marxism" America withstood at its front door for sixty years has donned a new costume and n
- Education Family & Parenting Current Affairs Choices In Education
Choices in Education Today it seems more and more like mainstream education is invol
- Free Article Taking Care Of Dubai's Heritage
Late president of the UAE, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, once famously said, "a country tha