Is Big Brother A Good Thing?
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) is being used all over the UK to help deter crime. Through out the region, there are probably around 4 million cameras watching what goes on. That's about one camera for every 14 people.
The CCTV has many benefits. It is used to ticket speeders and others who violate traffic laws. This frees up the police to do more valuable work.
CCTV is used to monitor stores and shopping centers. This allows owners to cut down on shoplifting which helps keep prices down for everyone else.
Now, CCTV is proving valuable in solving missing person cases. Just recently, officials released pictures of a missing person taken by CCTV on the subway. The pictures gave a clear view of what the person had been wearing before she went missing. This information could potential spark the memory of a witness, or even guide the police on their search.
Although CCTV has its up sides, there are down sides as well. With so many cameras aimed at people all through their day, there is bound to be some pictures taken that no one wants seen. For this very reason, the government enacted the Data Protection Act in 1998. It restricts the use of CCTV recording - hopefully putting some people more at ease.
There is an upgrade on the way. CC Digital Photography, which began showing up in October of 2005, gives a cleaner image than the current CCTV. The pictures are still, but will most likely be more valuable to places that don't rely on live feed video.
Kathryn Lang is a freelance security writer, specializing in home security and CCTV applications.
Related Tags: cctv
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Health Articles - Air Purifiers and Seniors - What you Should Know
Are you a senior concerned about your health or do you know someone who is? Respiratory troubles are
- Fashion & Cosmetics Articles - Finding the Perfect Pair of Jeans
If you're a frequent wearer of jeans, you're probably all too aware of just how much of a differen
- Home Improvement Articles - More Facts about Stairlift Features
If you have been searching for more information about the basic features of stairlifts but didn't kn
- Consumer Articles - World Roofing to 2014
World Roofing to 2014 report ( http://www.bharatbook.com/detail.asp?id=144994&rt=World-Roofing-to-20
- Consumer Articles - Ethnic Hair, Beauty and Cosmetics Products in the US
Ethnic Hair, Beauty and Cosmetics Products in the U.S. report ( http://www.bharatbook.com/detail.asp
- Consumer Articles - Subliminal Persuasion Techniques Used on You
Have you ever wondered whether a salesman is trying to use subliminal persuasion techniques on you?
- Finance & Investment Articles - Lessons From Behavioral Economics
The filed of behavioral economics repeatedly shows that we are not as rational as we think when maki
- Electronics Articles - Various Headphones Types to Choose
These days, headphones have been becoming audio equipment that many people need. This device will he
- Electronics Articles - The Superiority of Wireless Sennheiser Headphones
Sennheiser is a famous headphone manufacturer that has been gaining a well reputation in the audio m
- Online Shopping Articles - Womens Glasses: Be the talk of the town!
Don't you want to add elegance and panache to your personality? Well, now you can do it with style w
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Ford Focus Recalls
As I write this, it seems that the biggest concern the Ford Motor company has is not Ford
- What is Ethical Clothing?
Garment workers throughout the globe are traditionally paid the minimum wage and work long hours
- A look at the ways to pull yourself out of holiday debt
With the holiday season over, many people now turn their attention towards the problem of paying f
- The 2 Types Of Hybrid Cars
Many automobile companies have spend millions of dollars each year in research and development of mo
- Top Digital Camera Accessory this Holiday Season - a Digital Picture Frame
Don't you love advances in technology? Around the holidays, this is when I typically put on my tech
- Let Superbreak help you with your Christmas shopping
As Christmas approaches, Superbreak, the UK's online holiday specialist for short breaks, has just a
- Five Lies You Are Being Told
We hear lies all the time. Of course we know that when a politician says "no new taxes," he is lying
- Consumers need protection from Payment Protection Insurance
Consumers and consumer protection organisations are increasingly putting pressure on financial pro
- Break for a holiday without breaking your bank
Holidays give us something to look forward to: fun, relaxation and exciting new experiences. But t
- How To Get Best-Selling Books Cheap
Walk into any bookstore and you may experience sticker shock. Book prices have risen dramaticall