The Addiction To Negativity
One of the standout ideas of the day for me was Dr. Hendrix's discussion on our society's addiction to negativity. It was one of those "seeing the whole forest" versus "the trees right in front of me" moments. Because of our addiction, it is easier to see how limited the use of positive and supportive comments are between couples, families, co-workers, and even the clerk at the store, than the bombarding of negative comments are in our daily lives. Negativity can be obvious criticism, put-downs, sarcasm, etc. Pretty much anything that devalues another person.
An addiction? Isn't that what an alcoholic or drug user is? Certainly that is true, but so are workaholics, sex addicts, some eating disorders, addicted gamblers, over-spenders, etc. Random House defines an addiction as a "giving over to" and "habit-forming." In other words, we learn a habit; habits are not necessarily something that we recognize, and they are hard to break. Hard to break really means the struggle to give up the habit by learning a new one -- a habit that works better in our lives.
Dr. Hendrix related that upon realizing the prevalence of negativity in his relationship with his wife, they decided to go cold turkey and avoid negativity completely. Soon afterwards he said that it felt like his head was going to explode from the negative build-up. Cold turkey is a very difficult way to break a habit.
To change a habit we need to:
• Be aware that we have it.
• Understand the impact it has on our lives (especially those around us).
• Find something that works better.
• Gradually cut back on what we want to change and increase what we want to do.
• Be patient, but make it a priority.
The possibility of life filled with more positive communication, even one more supportive comment a day, is an exciting thing. I think that we can all work towards that.
Related Tags: relationships, habits, addiction, changing, negativity
Steve Thayer is a California State Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, Certified Financial Planner™, and co-owner of http://www.MyVitalFiles.com, a Home Filing Solutions Company. He has written articles for various publications for 30 years, and besides working in counseling and financial consulting, his goal is to help make life less tedious and more fulfilling for people by developing paperwork filing solutions.
You may contact at http://www.MyVitalFiles.com and steve@MyVitalFiles.com.
© Steve Thayer 2007 All rights Reserved - May not be copied or distributed without the author's permission.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Resurgence of Fred Perry Clothing
Summer might long be over and Wimbledon may be a distant memory, however the fashion is a year round
- Uncovering Men's Tank Tops
I don't know a thing about you, but I'll bet that you have worn a tank top. Tank tops have also been
- Make Use of Silk Scarves to Take Good Care of Your Skin
In the event you are new about silk scarves, you could never read about this particular feature of s
- Just For Men Scarves - the Preference For Guys in the Vogue Domain
If you are not certain what style of present you could provide for men, maybe you can consider men s
- Think Black Friday Shopping is Beyond Your Budget?
Moms who are juggling the bills and still trying to provide the perfect holiday gift to loved ones a
- How to Make Conscious Shopping Choices
Many people have heard the phrase "voting with your dollars" and they understand that it means your
- Silk Scarves - Unique Present Approach in Xmas Seasons
The most prevalent silk add-on is scarves, and many focus is presented on inspired designing on thes
- Benefits of an Aloe Vera Shampoo
A lot of people are not aware of the specific benefits that using an aloe vera shampoo can do to the
- How Effective is the Power of Your Subconscious Mind?
Most people are bombarded with this thought whenever they feel weak and wish to affect certain chang
- Silk Scarf - the Record For Human Being in the Style History
Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries the worldwide recognition of silk scarves developed dramatica
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Surf and Turf: the Race Track
Surf and Turf: The Race TrackOne of the favorite places for The G to hang out at, especially in Summ
- Are You Looking For Cholesterol Drugs Without Side Effect?
High cholesterol level is probably one of the widely spread complication among Americans. Almost for
- Friday the 13th could be a lucky day?
Friday the 13th sounds unlucky ? Traditional superstition ? And a lot of people dislike it and beli
- Don't Judge A Man
Our world is full of bad tongues, fault-finders, gossipers, mockers, and insulters but do these grou
- When Personalized Gifts Make a Difference
Finding the right gifts for a particular occasion is always a challenging task. Sometimes it is nic
- Managing My Resistance: Learning To Flow With What Life Offers
One of the things that interests me most about conflict is the tendency to resist it and the ways in
- What Are Horoscopes Based On?
If you do not know much about astrology, you may wonder what are horoscopes based on and how astrolo
- 7 Dumbest Relationship Mistakes Smart People Make
We often find ourselves amid the wreckage of a love gone wrong, wringing our hands and asking, "Why
- Motivation as the heart of self improvement
You should be able to find several indispensable facts about Motivation in the following paragraphs
- Is Complete Abstinence from Use of Paychoactive Substances Necessary for Recovery?
Can a sober alcoholic in recovery who has no history of abuse of marijuana, use marijuana without