Lancashire Hotpot and Yorkshire Pudding Recipes
A dish from the county of Lancashire.
2 lb lamb
4 lambs kidneys
20 fl oz hot water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 lb potatoes
¾ lb onions, chopped
A sprig of thyme
Knob of Butter
Fat or oil for frying
Salt and pepper
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into thick slices.
2. Skin, core and chop the kidneys and chop the lamb meat into small cubes or chunks.
3. Brown the cubes of lamb and kidney in a hot frying pan with a little oil. Continue until all the pieces have been browned then put them in an oven proof casserole dish.
4. Keeping the same oil used to brown the meat, brown the onions.
5. Once the onions are golden brown stir in a little flour to soak up all the oil and juices in the pan.
6. In a measuring jug add the Worcestershire sauce to the hot water and then pour and stir into the pan with the flour etc. Take care to pour slowly and blend the mixture well, or else you may end up with a lumpy mixture.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Now gently heat the pan and bring the contents to a simmer. As soon as it is simmering, take off the heat, then pour over the meat and kidneys in the pot.
9. Add the thyme and bayleaf. Now lay the potato slices on top of the meat to form a cover by overlaping the slices.
10. Add a few small knobs of butter on the potato roof and cover with a tight fitting lid.
11. Place in a preheated oven at 325'F (gas mark 3) or (170'C) for about 1½ hours.
12. Remove the lid and return to the oven for another 45 minutes - to help brown the potato and finish the cooking.
Yorkshire Puddings (makes around 6 puddings)
These are easy to make as, most people fail at the cooking park - the oven has to be very, very hot and the pans should be smoking when you remove them from the oven!
10oz of plain flour
1 large egg
A large pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven at about 200 degrees, pour about 1cm of oil into each section of a muffin tin and place in the oven.
2. Mix the egg, water and milk together, Sift the flour into a big bowl.
3. Pour the mixture slowly onto the flour. As you start to pour beat the mixture together with a whisk. Add the salt and continue to beat.
4. Once all the ingredients have been beaten together leave to stand, for about half an hour.
5. Once the oven is hot enough (very hot), remove the tray and for the puddings and pour off the oil.
6. Fill each sectipon about 3/4 full with mixture and put straight back into the hot oven.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes (try not to open the oven during this time as the yorkies could sink) till they are risen and brown. Remove from the oven and remove from the tin straight away.
Serve with Roast Beef and loads of gravy.
Related Tags: recipe, recipes, english
Click here for more Delicious Free Recipes Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Raising Wild Rabbits -how To Care For Orphaned Rabbits
During spring, many rabbit breeders will most likely come across rabbits in the wild. Some people th
- Reasons For Canning Soup
'The best of all things' is a good housekeeper's dream to give to her family. 'To serve the best foo
- Strawberry Chicken Salad With Hoisin-sesame Dressing
This recipe makes extra dressing to have on-hand. Just add strawberries and the remaining ingredient
- Easy Labor Day Recipes
Labor Day is right around the corner, and it's time to start thinking about what great meals you wil
- Tips To Choose Catering Services For Special Events
In the event of catering services the majority event planners have something in his or her mind, to
- Professional Catering Services
There also are various aspects to consider when organizing any social or corporate event - Particula
- Finding Simple Cooking Recipes From Around The World
There are many different areas that make every country around the world unique somehow. The language
- Tips For Applying A Cooking Recipe
A cooking recipe is a very important information sheet used in the kitchen. A series of instructions
- Raw Food Diet Recipes - Pistachio Honey Butter (no Butter) Spread - Free Raw Recipe
This is one of my favorite raw food diet recipes. It's so easy and can be made in minutes. This free
- Tips In Hiring A Roof Cleaning Services In Orlando
A well maintained house makes a statement about your lifestyle. Your house requires maintenance from
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Colon Cleansing Recipe
A colon cleansing recipe is one of the easiest way to experience the health benefits of a clean colo
- Hearty Potato Soup
• 7-8 Potatoes peeled and sliced in ¼ inch "chips" • 3 cloves Garlic, minced • ½ cup fresh or drie
- Barbecue Chicken Everyone Loves
During the summer in the United States backyards fill with smoke, smells, and chattering voices. Th
- Italian Fish n' Chips
Thanks to Mama D'Aguanno (Giovanni's mum) for this recipe. It's a version of the classic British Fi
- Quick and Easy Southern Pecan Bars
Winter time is the perfect time to try new recipes. Besides the traditional cakes and pies during
- Slow Cooker Barbecued Chicken with Tangy Orange Sauce
Sometimes you hanker for barbecue. You want barbecue so much you can smell it and taste it. The ty
- Easy Cereal Snack Bars for Kids
It's hard to find easy after school snacks for kids. These cereal bar recipes are easy to make and
- Pasta Salad As A Healthy Alternative
Pasta has always been associated with weight and a heavy feeling. True, pasta is rich in carbohydrat
- Christmas Snowball Cupcakes
Ingredients for cupcakes:1-box Chocolate cake mix 3-ounces Cream cheese, cut into 24 cubes ½-
- Satisfying And Light Chicken Salad Recipes
Chicken has grown to be the favored meat especially in Asia. Mainly because chicken do not have the