WOMM: The Easy Way to Skyrocket Your Sales
Think about how Apple went from something that you ate to keep the doctor away to the creator of the best-selling iPod... How Hotmail managed to gain more than 12 million subscribers in less than a year-and-a-half...
It's called WOMM or word-of-mouth marketing. Based on spreading good honest opinions, it influences more people to buy - or not to buy - products and services than most if not all other forms of marketing.
Buzz marketing can be worth thousands of times more powerful than conventional marketing. But to really spread the word about your business, positive WOMM is generated from lots of things done well.
Here are 11 ways to leverage the selling power of word-of-mouth marketing:
1. Be valued - offer exceptional value to your customers. It goes without saying that your products and services should be the best they can be. But why stop there? I always deliver more than I promise with my clients. It might be throwing proofreading into a website rewrite without charge, offering suggestions for an improved marketing response or simply finishing the project well ahead of time. The willingness to go out of your way for customers is always obvious, and they do take a note of it. The result can be that they rapidly spread the word about working with you.
2. Be inviting - actively seek feedback from your customers and prospects. Positive testimonials work well in your marketing materials. Include a few on in your company brochure, and be sure to place them on your website.
3. Be a writer - writing articles for local publication, trade magazines and online sources can really help spread the word. You can create an expert status for yourself, to boot. If you don't have the time or skills to write articles, hire a freelance writer to ghostwrite the articles for you. That way, you still get the PR as your by-line will be published.
4. Be tagged! You probably know by now that the best source of business is always the people you know. So, if they are able to clearly and concisely tell others what you do, all the better! This can be facilitated via a snappy tagline (not a slogan) that tells people what you do. Keep it brief, preferably up to eight words. Use this tagline on every marketing piece - including your email signature, business cards, stationery, etc.
5. Be fair and honest - word-of-mouth marketing depends on being highly believable, truthful and reliable. If you promise something, be sure to deliver it. Don't push any surprises on your customers, either. Always spell out up front what you get for your prices. People don't like to feel they're been robbed, so don't wait until the end to add on any items such as hidden delivery charges. By being as genuine and good to your word as you can, your customers are more likely to sing your praises, rather than badmouth you. Be the news - press or news releases are a fantastic way of getting media coverage. The majority of press releases go straight into the bin, or simply get lost among the daily deluge of press materials. But if you write yours well, and it is newsworthy, then yours could grab you tons of free publicity.
6. Be the news - press or news releases are a fantastic way of getting media coverage. The majority of press releases go straight into the bin, or simply get lost among the daily deluge of press materials. But if you write yours well, and it is newsworthy, then yours could grab you tons of free publicity. My 'Power Publicity' TeleClass will help you write and distribute a release that grab's the media spotlight.
7. Be spreading the news - newsletters or ezines that are sent out to current and past customers, prospects, the media and associates can be very effective marketing tools. Focusing on who will receive your newsletter will in turn help to focus your marketing efforts toward the very people who are more likely to use your products or services. And if they like what they read, they'll tell others about you, too.
8. Be thankful - people like to be appreciated. When was the last time you sent a note of thanks to someone because they were a good customer, or they paid on time? Do it! It's a good way of showing you care, and of reminding them who you are!
9. Be competitive - try an online sweepstake or contest, with a prize that hits your ideal customer's 'hot button'. Make it desirable enough that people will play again and again, or invite others to play.
10. Be an in-house publisher - write a book on what you it is that you want people to invest in. If interesting and done correctly, your book can quickly become talked about - and the buzz will extend to your business.
11. Be affiliated - using an affiliate programme whereby your offer your affiliates up to 50% of every sale they make pushes the word-of-mouth and referral marketing into a snowball effect. As well as getting people to promote and sell your products or services, your business or name will become well known. Again, make sure that what you are offering is of value.
Related Tags: marketing, advertising, profits, business, sales, clients, customers, referral, feedback, word-of-mouth
Copyright, 2006 T Dooley, Independent Copywriter & Editorial Consultant
Want to use this articleon your website, blog, a message board or in an ezine? Not a problem! But please give credit where it's due. You MUST include the following: Tracey "Word Doctor" Dooley of MediaMinister (http://www.mediaminister.co.uk) is an experienced copywriter, editor and marketer. She has spent almost 14 years crafting compelling copy that successfully sells, informs, educates or entertains. =====>>> To sign up for her freebie business- building tips, marketing and publicity pointers, visit http://www.mediaminister.co.uk
Recent articles in this category:
- Is SEO Optimisation Important Today?
Those who have tried setting up their own websites know just how competitive the online market reall
- How to Shop Fearlessly, Look For Bargains, And Save Time and Money on the Web?
With the advent of online shopping, going to outlets and discount shopping centers may become an act
- Roll Up Stand Changing Vendor Booths
Most people have been to trade shows, home shows, state and county fairs and other places where ther
- Achieving Your Advertising Goals With a Roll Up Stand
Advertising is a common function of a business. However, it requires creativity and hard work to ens
- Trade Show Displays and Expos
Trade Shows and community business Expos provide a captive audience for your business, to get the wo
- How to Make Sure Your Newsletters Are Sent Out on Time
There are three key elements to making sure your newsletter is delivered on time: People, planning,
- Portable Displays - Trade Show Displays
Portable Displays are the best option for exhibitors when it comes to Trade Shows. Portable Displays
- Banner Displays - a Great Portable Display
Banner Displays are considered one of the most portable displays when used for trade shows. They com
- Small Business Reputation Management - Your Small Business Information Could be Wrong
Bad information could be out there circulating on the Internet this very minute about your business
- Eight Guidelines For Writing Newsletters That Engage Your Readers and Build Your Business
Want to write newsletters that engage your readers and help to build community? Whether you are a sm
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Adsense Is Making Me Rich
I want to talk to you about the power of Google AdSense and how you can use it to generate not hundr
- How to Increase Your Business Using the Esoteric Science of Radionics
As a small business owner, there are an amazing number of difficult skills I need to master so my bu
- 14 Top Lead Generation Tips
According to former Harvard Business School professor David Maister, typical marketing practices are
- More Marketing Dope
Direct marketing can make you very successful, but you’ve got to understand the basics. Here a
- The State Of Paid-To-Surf Programs Today
What a difference a year can make. 12 months ago, auto surf programs were at their peak. More an
- Should You Open Up An Ebay Store?
Ebay has provided some amazing opportunities for many people to earn online. This widely popular au
- Is Adsense A Good Idea?
For many webmasters, Google AdSense has become a great revenue generator. Since the program pays th
- The "Coat Of Arms" Revisited
Recently I listened to a interview with Mark Joyner and Gary Halbert about Gary's famous "Coat of Ar
- Brand Loyalty
It's a challenge getting consumers to remain loyal to a particular brand. Unlike the good old days w
- The Hottest Affiliate Ebooks Out in the Market Today!
Affiliate Project X is a great affiliate marketing ebook. Totaling only 50 pages you could have your