Google Turns Green, Launches Rechargeit
In an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and global dependence on oil, internet giant Google has launched its new RechargeIT initiative to promote the development of plug-in hybrid electric cars.
Under the guidance of Google's own philanthropic Google.org team, the new initiative will award $1 million in grants and a further $10 million to fund the development and eventual commercialization of plug-in hybrids.
According to the company's press release, this is how the first million will be spent:
* Brookings Institution: $200,000 to support a spring 2008 conference on federal policy to promote plug-ins
* CalCars: $200,000 to support its work to educate the public about plug-ins
* Electrical Power Research Institute (EPRI): $200,000 to support its plug-in research and development program;
* Plug-In America: $100,000 to raise public awareness and advocate for plug-in transportation;
* Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI): $200,000 to enable RMI to launch the design of a practical plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, with additional support and collaboration by Alcoa, Johnson Controls, and the Turner Foundation;
* Dr. Willett Kempton, University of Delaware: $150,000 for megawatt scale vehicle-to-grid research and implementation planning.
Too Not only is Google interested in creating a reliable plug-in hybrid, its new initiative will also support the development of a sustainable electricity grid. Under the proposal, owners would be able to sell back unused energy when power across the grid is running low.
Partnering with A123Systems-Hymotion, Google has already tested a fleet of Toyota Prius vehicles that were converted into plug-in hybrids. In the initial tests, the fleet's fuel efficiency averaged 74mpg, stark contrast to the 41mpg for the test fleet of non-plug-in Prius cars.
Google also announced the start-up of the solar panel installation at Google HQ to power the plug-in vehicles it already has. The new solar panel installation at its Mountain View headquarters in California should develop up to 1.6 megawatts of power - enough to power roughly 1,000 homes.
Google employees will also be able to get free car sharing through Google Fleet. This fleet will get 100 PHEVs when they're available.
Too bad Honda (maker of quality Honda car bra) has decided to discontinue its Honda Accord hybrids.
Related Tags: honda car accessories, honda accessories, car bra, aftermarket performance parts, honda car bra, honda oem parts, honda replacement parts, honda aftermarket parts
Evander Klum is a Business Administration graduate who hails from Alabama. He enjoys extreme sports and he is also a car racing fanatic. At present, he works as a marketing manager at an advertising agency in Cleveland.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Improve the Value of Your Truck With a Truck Bed Cover
If you are a truck owner and are looking for a way to increase the value and also protect your inves
- An Overview of Emergency Road Services
Anyone that owns a vehicle definitely understands that there are truly countless facets of driving a
- Buying From Car and Truck Auctions in Canada
Buying a vehicle from an auction can be a good way to pick up a bargain as long as you know what you
- 2011 Green Car Of The Year- Who's In It To Win It!
The Green Car of the Year award is a program designed by Green Car Jouranl to recognize and honor ve
- Honda's 2010 Odyssey is Efficient, Practical and Convenient
If you are looking for a minivan that has a seating capacity of up to eight persons and handles almo
- Greener Trucks For Delivery Work
Green' is a word you'll hear a lot when it comes to transportation, from bicycles to buses - but you
- The Courier and Haute Couture
Some jobs just ooze opportunity to flaunt yourself and show off your latest togs but sadly that's ra
- All-New 2011 Toyota Camry
The Toyota Camry has been a continuous leader for years in the family midsize sedan class by being a
- The Various Benefits Of Summer Tires
As you probably know , different tires are optimized for different conditions. Not only that, someth
- A Couple of Tips on Buying a Used Cars in Toronto
If your old car has finally kicked the bucket and you need to get yourself a new mode of transport t
Most viewed articles in this category:
- How to Remove Window Tint
Applying tinting film to car or household windows may be fun, but removing it can be tricky if yo
- Transporting Your Car
If you are relocating to another state or another country for employment or family reasons, you may
- Choosing The Right Sticker For The Motorcycle Helmet
When people decide to buy a motorcycle, the dealer will usually throw in a helmet. This is because s
- Suzuki's 2007 Xl7, “wave” Grand Vitara Debuts at the 2007 Scias
In the news: American Suzuki Motor Corporation has presented its array of cars and SUVs at the 2007
- Nissan Skyline GTR: A Racer That Is Affordable
If you've ever eyed a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari Testarossa, but thought the price was too steep, the
- How To Buy Cheap Cars
There are a number of seized car auctions held in various places every month or at least quarterly.
- Federal Agencies Expands Hybrid Fleet
Three federal agencies in Kansas recently added hybrid vehicles to their fleet. The hybrid vehicles
- New Cars, New Gadgets Presented at the 2007 Naias
The 2007 North American International Auto Show has become an event of glamour, fashion and technolo
- Aura Green Line Added to 3 Federal Fleets in Kansas
Three Kansas City area federal agencies added Monday the new 2007 Saturn Aura Green Line hybrid vehi
- Top Vehicles by Autoweek Editors Honored at 2007 Naias
Everybody has favorites. Bill may like Ford cars. Susan may be attracted much by the power of pi