Entering Photography Contests for Fun and Prizes
* A professional photographer?
* An amateur photography enthusiast?
* Someone with a camera and a creative mind?
Yes, photo contests are for just about anyone. Unlike poetry or cooking contests (where there's a definite level of skill involved) almost anyone can start taking pictures with a camera. Digital cameras are getting better and better and many people can take great photographs with little training.
Why Enter Photo Contests?
The prizes range from small cash prizes to major prizes that include professional photography equipment, photo software (PhotoShop sells for over $600) and several of the larger photo contests give away HUGE travel prizes. Apart from winning prizes, you also get a chance to develop your own real-world portfolio and depending on the contest, a win (or even a good finish!) can help launch your photo career.
* Showcase your photography skills
* Be judged by experts and critics (even peers) in your field
* Win amazing prize packages
* Get published on-line or in some of the most prestigious photo magazines in the world.
How To Get Started:
There are three basic divisions of photo contests. The first level is appropriate for amateurs who just want to have fun. They are judged on the content of the photo vs. the skill of the photographer. The second level is appropriate to amateur photographers at the begging and intermediate skill levels who are learning to take good photos. The third level is for intermediate to advanced amateurs and professional photographers who want to build a portfolio and maybe win equipment or prizes to advance their careers.
If you are a rank amateur who just wants to have fun, there are loads of what I call "anything goes" contests. Baby photo contests, cute pet contests and many contests run by product companies or websites. The photos are judged based on the content rather than the content plus skill level.
If you are a beginning or intermediate level amateur photographer you will probably want to start with the smaller, on-going contests. On-going contests normally have regular weekly or monthly themes and deadlines. These contests are free or cheap to enter and their prizes are small or involve "just the glory of being a winner." What you will get is good feedback from fellow photographers, allowing you to grow your skill levels in a friendly environment. Your peers often judge your photos, so you can see what kind of impact your photos make on your viewers.
As your skill levels increase, start looking for contests sponsored by the camera and software companies and by the photography magazines. Some of these are very inexpensive to enter, such as PhotoLife Magazine's bi-monthly reader contest. Others are huge, international contests, with hefty fees and giant prize packages. These are the contests that can create a very solid photography career for you!
Here are a few things to watch for:
* Make sure that you read the terms & conditions of participating in each contest. There are some contests in which you forfeit your copyright to your photo / work just by registering in the contest. What's the point of showcasing your work if you legally sign it over to someone else? So make sure you read the terms.
* Follow the instructions. This cannot be over-emphasized.
* Enter in the best category for your photos. (scenic beauty, human form, travel photos, etc.)
* Read the fine print. Many contest organizations won't return your entry, so don't send them original material.
* Many contests place a limit to the number of entries you can submit, you will get disqualified if you send more.
* Read the definition of amateur or professional to be sure you qualify.
Entering photography contests can be a very rewarding hobby that can pay off big time. Challenge yourself to get out every week and learn something new about using your camera and some new concept or technique to improve your work. Then enter, enter, enter ... until you WIN!
Related Tags: photography, career, photographer, winning, photo, contests, prizes
Melanie Rockett is THE Contest Guru. Visit her website for more information on entering and winning contests, and for information about DOZENS of current photo contests. http://contestguru.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Writing Articles - Write Your Church History Book
Compiling a history of your church into a book can be a great way to raise funds, as well as being a
- Art and Culture Articles - Glamourous Ideas for Great Sexy Holiday Gifts
Giving the gift of a tastefully sexy calendar or glamour photo album of yourself to your loved one i
- Self-publishing is the New Black
Writer's scour around for the perfect ending to their story and sometimes beat around the bush beca
- Get Published: Secrets of the New York Publishing World
Every writer dreams of attracting a lucrative contract from a major New York publishing company. An
- Author of Self Published Book Proposes Guiding Principles for President-elect Obama
Guiding principles for the Obama administration are proposed by book author Edward C. Mendler in Po
- Beware of the Publishing Company Scams
Publish America is one of the publishing companies out of state that promises to fulfill your dream
- About The Maidenhead Locator System
This is not a special system that helps you locate Maidenhead. It is in fact is a scheme used by am
- The Publishing Industry and What You Need To Know
Ten years ago the publishing industry was a very different sphere than it is today. Now however the
- As Content Migrates Online How Does This Effect ADHDvertising?
The tectonic plates of advertising are shifting. With the migration of most traditional media from
- Spirit of Mumbai
City of dream never stops amaizing me,The only city where you do not know your neighbour of 10 year
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Writing Process: One size does not fit all
Developing an individual writing process is a key part of becoming a real writer. If you w
- Many ideas will get you nowhere
You have been in front of the computer trying to go over the details on your mind for a long time an
- What Comprises a Good Graphic Design?
They often mistakenly imply the true essence of having a good graphic design. For some, they may thi
- What You Should Know About Postcards
Here are some of the salient facts about postcard printing and mailing: 1. Repeat postcard mailing i
- How to Find a Brochure Printer
In this day and age what matters most for every business is how to keep pace with the competition in
- Teasing Colors in Printing Services
It sends excitement and thrill that generates more appetite to stare longer and be charmed. Am
- PS - The Wonders of Full-Color Printing
Color printing is everywhere and we see it everyday in our daily lives. Full color printing is the m
- Are you cliche crazy?
Design annuals and guidebooks are written and made available to act as inspiration for those who wan
- How to Choose the Best Title for Your Self Published Book
Authors, self publishers and book publishers often spend a lot of time thinking over possible titles
- Printing halftone is all about printing dots
The point in having halftone is to have something to fool the eyes. The tones that people usually ad