Do you care about someone with a mental illness?
My big brother, Tom, has challenges beyond my understanding. He struggles with schizoaffective disorder. Although I've never looked up his "diagnosis" in the official record of mental illnesses, the DSM, I know he has problems. I know this by his fixations on seemingly benign things that happened 20 years ago. Or the threats he might make from time to time to family members who love him.
Tom goes through cycles, ups and downs, which is typical for people suffering some types of mental dis-ease like schizoaffective or bi polar disorder. Despite his struggles, my parents have always required Tom to work and forge ahead as best he can. I lost track of the jobs he's had, mainly because there have been so many! Over the years my siblings and I have taken on various roles in his life. Most of us have simply drifted away from him ignoring his desire to spend time with each of us. My hunch is that many "affected others" ignore and stay away because they don't understand the illness or they feel compelled to "do" something to make "it" better. It can be very challenging and frustrating for the caregiver/ or affected other to interact with the person without feeling overwhelmed.
There are ways to stay connected to or participate in the life of someone struggling with mental dis-ease. My top 5 list include:
1. Make a list of things you can offer the person. Maybe you enjoy the movies and will commit to taking him/her every 2 months or so. My commitment to Tom is to have him come stay with me for 4 days every 2 months. The important thing here is consistency and follow through. Try not to take on more than you can reasonably do. Remember, for someone who might have a small social circle, this date with you may be critically important to the person.
2. Try to let go of all wishes and desires for certain behaviors for the person. Simply meet them where they are and "be" with them instead of "doing" anything that you feel might "help" them or "heal" them.
3. Always check with the person before giving them something that you think they might want. I have found that many times we "think" the person would like something when in fact they don't. Don't be offended or try to encourage it, simply let it go and honor the answer you are given. Now there are exceptions to this. One might be if you are trying to encourage better dress habits. Tom, for example hates wearing socks and underwear. If he is coming somewhere with me I make it a requriement that he at least put socks on!
4. Have a solid set of boundaries for dealing with the person. If you are not able to give something, tell them. Don't treat them differently from how you might treat someone else. It takes too much energy and, quite frankly, it's unnecessary. Treating all people with respect and honesty is generally a good policy.
5. Send the person a card or make a quick phone call just to say "HI, I was thinking about ya". Nothing more nothing less, just a small but significant thing.
In the end, all relationships with people struggling with mental dis-ease can be a challenge. But caring for yourself and taking appropriate steps to protect your life will, in the end, help you to keep on giving.
Related Tags: depression, caregiver, mental illness, boundaries, bi polar disorder, livingwell
Mary Logan is a business woman, coach and fundraiser. Her enthusiasm around helping others set boundaries with those around them is at the heart of her business. She can be reached at http://www.fromsurvivetothrive.com Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Important Things to Know About an Assisted Living Residence in Texas
n assisted living residence is a facility designed for senior citizens or persons with disabilities
- Understanding How the Probate Process Works
The probate process is required within the U.S. to settle estates of deceased persons. The time requ
- Fun Ideas for the Family During the Christmas Holiday
The Yuletide season is one of the most awaited holidays of the year because it is the time for joy a
- How To Find The Right Composite Decking Deck Builders
Another rising home improvement project homeowners are starting to do a lot more of is the composite
- Every Home Should Have A Radiant Barrier
The most easy and successful home improvement project you can do to your House, would be to install
- The Different Types Of Rain Gutters
When purchasing a house or planning to do improvements to a home, there is always one project that s
- How To Get The Best Replacement Windows For Your Home
Installing replacement windows can be the single most important home improvement project you can do
- Holiday Accommodation Gold Coast: Pointers For Selecting The Best
With a multitude of holiday accommodations in Gold Coast, choosing the one for yourself can be quite
- Want Holiday Accommodation In Gold Coast Queensland? Get Online To Find The Best Deal In A Quick, Co
There are several ways to find holiday accommodation in Gold Coast. You may refer to travel guides t
- Celebrate The Ten-days Festival Of Navratri.
Dasara known as Dussehra, Navaratri, Vijaya Dashami is a festival of triumph of GOOD over Evil. The
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Adoptees Need Support When Voicing Feelings about Birth Parents
"I feel like a mistake.""I'm not like them.""Where's my family?""Why can't I find a suitable career?
- Progressive Cooking: All About 'cuisine'
The French are known for their interest in art and all that is fine. It therefore comes as no surpri
- Moroccan Decor - Oh My! Make Your Home Shine With Moroccan Rugs and Tapestries.
It is said in Morocco that he who enters Fez with a rug will leave with a moneybag. This saying o
- Online Criminal Background Checks-Importance & Ease
Have you ever thought your new neighbor looks like one of the pictures on the post office bulletin b
- Installing A Burglar Alarm
Want to protect your home? Ready to install a burglar alarm? The popularity of the home burglar ala
- Lowe's Backyard Playground Sets
Lowe's is an excellent first place to look for anyone who is looking for the best swing sets on the
- How Could Short Term Health Insurance Help Me?
Short-term health insurance plans allow people to have health insurance for a limited amount of time
- Watch Out For Those Stinky Skunks!
There are various species of skunks found throughout the United States including the striped, spotte
- Asthma In Kids: An Increasing Epidemic
Many believe that the majority of asthma cases are confined to adults, but this is definitely an inc
- Stairlifts For Riders Of Above Average Weight
A stairlift is an affordable device that is used to give people with limited mobility access to the