How To Use Golf Training Aids To Get Your Tempo In The Groove
If you want to find The Zone, that elusive state of mind and body convergence where you are one with the golf ball and can do no wrong, then you need to develop a tempo in your swing. With the right tempo, your muscles will work in unison to produce a smooth, powerful motion. Choose the wrong tempo, however, and your muscles will fight each other, causing your swing to fall out of synch, which causes hit-or-miss erratic results.
Everybody's swing is different, so how do you find the right groove for your swing? Practice and experimentation is the only answer. You have to search for the true essence of your own swing, grasshopper-san. Fortunately, a variety of golf training aids exist for training tempo, from small metronomes that you can clip to your shirt collar, to magnetic balls that click as you swing. Here are some tips for using these training aids to groove your tempo:
1. Check out various pros' swings on TV to get a few tempos you'd like to try out. For example, 2005 US Open champion Michael Campbell has a fast tempo, while Ernie Els has a slower, gliding tempo. Vijay Singh has a medium tempo that's right in between. Once you have a few tempos to try out, then make sure that whatever training aid you buy is variable so you can try them out. If the training aid is locked to a single tempo, don't buy it. There is no 'one size fits all' for this.
2. Use your swing metronome or other training aid to try out different tempos until you find one that's right for you. This could take several practice sessions. How will you know when it's right? It will feel smooth and good and you will hit better, more consistent shots.
3. Practice your tempo as much as possible. Try to groove the tempo for five minutes before each round, and practice the tempo for a few swings before each shot. Practice it until you feel it in your bones. This should give you a good, repeatable base tempo to use as an anchor for your swing. Then, if you face adversity or a pressure situation during your round, you will always have a solid base tempo that you can go back to. This will allow you to relax more easily and focus on the shot at hand.
Good luck and feel the rhythm!
Mike Gelhaus, once racquetball professional and published author for Racquetball Magazine, has turned his attention back to the game of Golf. With the use of golf training aids, he achieved a handicap of 3 only weeks before back surgery. Check out his site at http://the-best-golf-training-aids.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Links Golf Courses Of Snowdonia
As the great Ian Woosnam himself once said of playing golf in North Wales: "If you are looking for c
- Deciding If Take Golf Lessons
In case you are interested in improving your game or you're just considering beginning to play golf,
- Medicus Dual Hinge Driver - Add Distance And Accuracy To Your Drives
The Medicus Dual Hinge Driver will help you to hit longer and straighter drives by giving you instan
- Phil Mickelson Putting Style
So what is Phil Mickelson putting style? After all, he can string together a bunch of birdies in a r
- 3 Slice Tips To Help You Fix A Slice In Your Swing
For many golfers having the ability to fix a slice is a genuine battle. If you are someone who faces
- The Best Of Courses In Golf Are Respected Worldwide
Even the most innocent golfers will fancy playing on the best of golf courses they can meet the expe
- 10 Minutes A Day To Building Confidence In Golf
Confidence in golf comes from both a conscious and an unconscious perspective. This article is focus
- 10 Critical Areas In The Golf Mental Game
When it comes to golf, the mental game is highly recognized as being a big factor. We conducted a su
- Why In Golf Hitting Fat Shots Has Both Mechanical And Mental Factors
When it comes to a lack of confidence in golf, hitting fat shots and hitting thin shots is often a r
- Overcome Hitting Fat Golf Shots By Thinking Confidently
Hitting fat golf shots will erode one's confidence, depending upon the age of the golfer. That's cor
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The New Square Drivers - Is It Hip To Be Square?
You've probably heard about the new square drivers. As one golfer commented..."Looks like a tank on
- Grooved Golf Swing Series: How To Use Your Elbow While Putting
Here is a tip that will allow you to control the putter head and send it along the right line every
- Grooved Golf Swing Series: How To Be A Better Putter - Some Tips
First a look at the alignment of the putter blade as you place it behind the ball. If you have you
- Understanding The Basic Rules Of Golf
There are many people who embark on playing golf but do not really try to understand the rules or th
- How to Benefit From Golf Training Aids
A person who wants to go into a sporting hobby can choose something that will not only entertain him
- Left Handed Golf - Do Left-Handers Play Golf Left-Handed
I am a natural left-hander and I write with my left and play one handed sports such as tennis, badmi
- Golf - Equipment Required
How would you like to learn to play like Tiger Woods?Well, we can't promise you that, but we can giv
- Golf Swing Instruction Will Improve Your Swing Technique And Distance
Do you see the need for instruction for your golf swing? Most amateur golfers have subpar swing mec
- Become A Better Golfer By Improving Your Short Game With These Golfing Tips
If you've spent some time either playing or watching golf, then you'll know that around 70 percent o
- Discount Clone Golf Clubs - Save Your Money for the 19th Hole!
Anyone who plays golf knows the sport is not at all cheap. With membership fees, golf green fee cos