Pets Articles - Five Cool Things About a Shar Pei
At one point in time, the breed was in the tight spot of near-extinction, and was even named by the Guinness Book of World Records as among the world's rarest breeds. But centuries before that, it was actually common in the southern China, busy with either herding cattle, guarding the home, or hunting with its master for wild pigs. The turning point was after the people's Revolution, when raising or using the breed for fighting were prohibited by the government.
Check out these five cool things about the shar pei!
1. The tongue of this dog is indeed dark enough in color to look black. But the dog shares this feature with one other breed, the equally orange-looking Chow Chow, thus giving us a reason to believe in a common ancestor for both.
2. A spotted tongue on a shar pei may look unique, but among dog breeders, it is considered a fault. The ideal tongue color is bluish black; in case of a dilute, a lavender color will still make it in competitions. A solid pink tongue will disqualify the dog.
3. A Shar Pei is better than a Bat Mobile. Why? Because there's more than one color! Seriously now, the dog can be black, cream, fawn, red-fawn, red, sable, apricot, chocolate, isabella, and blue. The nose may be black or brick (pink with black), with or without a black mask. A Shar Pei can also have what is called a "dilute" coloration. In any case, the coat color must be solid and well blended throughout the whole body of the dog.
4. Whatever happens, don't fall for a puppy's wrinkles; these won't be around for long! As the puppies get older, the wrinkles disappear. Among adults, the wrinkling is more on the forehead and withers.
5. And now, the meat of the matter for most dog lovers: how good is the dog with other dogs, other pets and children?
Just like other breeds, the shar pei can be a loving and caring family member (or pack member, from the dog's point of view), on the condition that the dog is raised and socialized with other pets and children from early on.
Good luck in your search for your next pet dog!
Richard Cussons believes that the Shar Pei is a great breed. Visit sharpeisavvy.com to discover cool tips regarding Shar Pei training.
Related Tags: shar pei training, shar pei
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Time I Had a Pet Blue Wasp
A lot of people have pets such as dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, turtles and some even have snakes and
- Why Should You Buy Barking Collars For Dogs?
You love your dog but he always barks and misbehaves. It is very upsetting for owners to have dogs t
- What to Consider Before Adopting a Dog
There may be plenty of occasions in your life when a puppy crosses your path and desperately needs a
- What Do Pet Insurance Policies Cover?
The most basic pet insurance policies simply cover vet bills. More advanced policies can cover every
- Dog Walkers Are They For You
If you own a dog then you will know how important it is to ensure that it is walked often to keep th
- Creating the Right First Aid Kit For Your Dog
Most of us have some type of first aid kit in our homes. They are necessary for those small bumps an
- Deciding to Crate Your Dog For Training
There are several different ways that you may decide to use to train your new dog and they are all v
- What to Know About Diets For Dogs
Weight seems to be a struggle for just about anyone, and that is true in the world of dogs. In fact,
- Dog Training Basics - Important Tips to Remember
Training your dog is important. It's important for his safety, your safety, the safety of your prope
- Don't Go Raising Sheep For Wool Without Reading This!
There are many possible reasons why people choose to raise sheep. Some do it as a means of livelihoo
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Chesapeake Bay Retriever Puppy And Dog Information
The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is not an apartment dog. She needs plenty of room to exercise and havin
- How To Choose The Right Dog Trainer
Choosing a trainer is a very important decision and one that requires a fair amount of research and
- Can Greenies Dog Treats Recover From Death?
A Makeover For Greenies(r) Treats Months after a series of lawsuits and media attention alleged the
- Dog Treats - How to Choose Healthy Treats for Your Dog
Your dog is indeed your best friend and how you feed him or her is very important. Even small items
- How to Choose A Good Dog Trainer
If you find that you are not being successful in training your own dog, or maybe you don't have the
- Dog Breeds and Asthma Sufferers: Are Hypoallergenic Breeds Always Best?
The first important consideration is to understand exactly what hypoallergenic dog breeds are. In sh
- Audubon Bird Feeders
Bird watching is an enjoyable hobby for many of us. We love the antics of the different birds as
- Must Have Accessories For Your Fish Tank
When many individuals think of fish tank accessories, decorations are often the first thing that com
- The Beautifull Hummingbirds
The hummingbirds diet requires nectar as a source of energy and for their protein source small insec
- Clumber Spaniel Puppy And Dog Information
The Clumber Spaniel is an intelligent, calm dog great for apartments as they do not need a great dea