How to Profit from a Market Correction: Diversified Trading Strategies
What happened to the stock markets these past two weeks?
Anyone at all involved in investing or trading no doubt personally experienced it- the stock markets went through a major correction! And in these days of the "World Economy" such a correction can be triggered by news from anywhere in the world. As it did this time. Poor economic news from China prompted a sharp world decline in stock prices in just a few days.
And many investors, especially long term investors made big losses.
And they're probably asking:
"Is there some way I could have avoided making losses during that period?"
Well, the answer is absolutely Yes.
Obviously trying to predict such a correction and get out before it happens is extremely difficult, and honestly more a matter of luck than anything else.
But by diversifying your trading strategies you can definitely avoid losses during such times - and in fact make healthy profits instead!
The key is to employ a mix of trading techniques that take advantage of a variety of trading timeframes.
Avoid putting all your eggs in the "long term" basket and look at complementing your trading with styles that make returns over the shorter term as well:
- Swing trading is an excellent way to capitalize on market movements over a period of just a few days or weeks.
- Day trading of course, allows you to make returns on stock movements within just one day.
And, mix up how and what you trade:
- Include Short Selling in your trading techniques. By selling a stock or index short, you are looking to profit from downward moves. This is just as valid as trying to buy low and sell high. And offers an important hedge against a market correction
- Also, there are now Inverse and even Double-Inverse indices that can be traded quite easily. DOG is the symbol for the Inverse Dow 30 Index and DXD is the Double Inverse Dow 30. By owning these, you are essentially short selling the major stock indices.
And, contrary to popular belief, it is not difficult to begin trading in this manner.
Over the years online trading has exploded in popularity and, as a result, the resources, tools, strategies and infrastructure available to the ordinary investor have become enormous.
- Online brokers offer trading accounts with extremely low commissions that allow investors to trade all kinds of different instruments (stocks, options, futures, forex) over all kinds of different timeframes (day trading, swing trading, long term trading).
- A large number of trading strategies and systems are also available online. And many such systems, offer a spectrum of short term and longer term strategies in a single service.
- And online trading platforms have become very sophisticated, offering complex analysis tools and even the ability to develop and back test trading strategies.
So, what simple steps can you take to profit during rising markets AND market corrections?
- Long Term trading: Allocate a portion of your trading funds to long term investments (over many months). Make your profits from the overall market trends - remember to take those profits periodically so that you're not caught by a sudden downturn. And look to include some of those Inverse Indices in your portfolio. They can act as a tremendous hedge against market corrections.
- Medium Term trading: Allocate a portion of your trading funds to Swing Trading. In this way you capitalize on the medium term trends in the markets or individual stocks. Practically all financial instruments go through these medium term swings as traders are constantly trying to determine the right longer term price by buying and selling at support and resistance levels. And by taking both Long and Short trades on these swings you stand to profit in both directions!
- Short Term trading: Allocate a portion of your trading funds to Day Trading. This allows you to completely take the longer term market factors out of the equation. By trading within a single day, it really doesn't matter that there was a long term correction. You profit anyway. With the right strategy, you would undoubtedly recognize the selling opportunity presented on the day(s) when there is a market correction. And by selling short you stand to make enormous gains that day!
- Ask your broker how to set up an account that allows you do trade in this way. You'll be surprised at how simple it can be to get setup.
Much is written about diversifying your investments. But don't just look at diversifying your holdings. Diversify your trading strategies too.
Related Tags: stocks, options, day trading, stock trading, online trading, swing trading, trading strategies
Richard Cochrane is an investor, trader and educator on stock and options trading, with a focus on day trading and swing trading strategies for investors. For more information on successful stocks and options trading techniques visit http://www.intradaytrades.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Beginning of the Cataloging Code
The first significant cataloging code was published in 1841. The realization that cooperation and s
- In the Lap of the Gods 24
Life moved on. Lily became well liked by both students and staff because of her cheerful outlook on
- In the Lap of the Gods 23
Does fate decide the future? Is it all mapped out for us, predestined, or can we influence what com
- Write Your Memoir: How to Write About What Troubles You the Most
Everyone has a story to tell, and unfortunately those stories aren't always pleasant. What makes me
- How Crafty Word Order Can Instantly Improve Your Writing
by Philip Yaffe I am usually very reticent about offering writing tips. Unless they are linked to
- You Say Grandpa, I Say Deda
I was born with two grandmothers but only one grandfather. In nature's rules of familial supply and
- My Russian American Dichotomy
I was a Russian girl and an American teenager. I had no choice about the first but I tried very har
- In the Lap of the Gods 22
This is just an explanation for those who have read some of the other Chapters of, "In the Lap of t
- Write a Book: 8 Reasons You Should Do it
Studies have shown that 82% of people want to write a book, but few of these actually ever achieve
- Book Review: the Book of Common Prayer
Book Review: The Book of Common Prayer, "My carry-with-me copy is this size, and I recommend it for
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Real Estate Investment - Investing In Commercial Properties
As in any other type of investment, its obviously advisable to do your research well so that the pro
- Taking Care Of Acne Prone Skin With Proper Skin Care Products
Although acne has been largely associated with teeners and puberty, the condition is not only confin
- Do I Really Need Eight Hours Of Sleep Each Night?
What if you were told that there is no definitive answer for why we need to sleep? Your initial reac
- How to Improve Your FICO Credit Score
If you didn't know this already, having a good credit score is more important than having a lot of c
- 10 Tips for a Magnificent Memory
"Where did I leave my keys?" "What did I come in here for?" "Your glasses are on top of your head!"
- Things You Might Like To Know About Card Companies
If you have a regular income and are 18 or over then you may be able to get a credit card. You will
- Bad Breath in Babies and Toddlers
If your baby or toddler has had bad breath lately, not to worry. There are plenty of things you can
- Starving College Students No More
The majority of today's college students are extremely Internet savvy. In fact, many of those studen
- Cosmetic Surgery Financing: How Can You Get It?
Cosmetic surgery, a branch of plastic surgery, can be quite expensive, especially if you are plannin
- Article Marketing, Improve Your Ranking With Links
Article Marketing, without a doubt remains the best free formula for attracting website traffic. At