If Prescriptions Could Talk
• Natural doesn't always mean safe. While arsenic is derived from nature, I highly doubt you would run to your local vitamin wholesaler to purchase a bottle. Remember this the next time you make a purchase decision on herbal-type products. Ask your pharmacist or physician first.
• More is not always better. In fact, it's seldom better and, more often than not, harmful. After a few tablets of Tylenol and little relief from a headache, one may make that potentially incorrect decision to take more. However, what is not well-known is that high doses of Tylenol can affect the liver and cause damage. In addition, those extra few tablets, while potentially harmful, will not likely be any more effective.
• To expire or not? Expiration dates on prescription and over-the counter bottles are to be taken seriously. This is your best indicator that the medication is no longer effective and may be unsafe to use. While the downside to taking an expired medication may simply be lack of effect, there are medications that can actually cause serious harm past their expiration date. Therefore, when spring-cleaning your home, don't forget your medicine cabinet.
• Pill boxes or pill bottles? While pill boxes are useful tools to help people remember their medication, they should not be used for all medications at all times. Some medications are controlled by the DEA and these should always remain in their original pharmacy bottles for several reasons. When traveling, it is imperative to have any controlled prescriptions in a bottle that clearly identifies the owner. If authorities find loose controlled substances without prescription identification, trouble may ensue. In addition, some medications lose their potency if transferred from the original bottle, such as nitroglycerin.
Always remember-the only stupid question is the one not asked. So use the resources available to you and ask your pharmacist or physician with any questions.
Related Tags: medicine, medication, prescription drugs, pharmacy
Claudia Cometa, Pharm.D. is a health care professional as well as a home-based business owner who enjoys travel, family, and food. For more information, visit her website at http://www.livebeautiful.usana.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- How Safe Are Prescription Topical Non - Steroidal Drugs... Particularly in the Elderly?
The treatment of osteoarthritis, to date, is essentially palliative.Osteoarthritis is a degenerative
- The Biggest Acne Myths Dispelled
Acne scars are sort of like being hit while you are down. First you live with the misery of the init
- Natural Cure For Eczema - Become Eczema Free, The Natural Way!
When it comes to eczema, doctors' tend to have little advice to offer other than using creams and lo
- Childhood Obesity Cured With Hypnosis
It is very unfortunate when a child is suffering from obesity. It is a very major medical problem th
- Children Changing With Hypnosis
The challenges we face everyday in the world may cause difficulties in life for not only adults, but
- Don't Suffer in Silence - Remove Your Warts and All
Many people suffer with skin conditions that can leave them worried, scared and feeling like they co
- Treat Red and Irritated Skin Easily
Wash your skin with a gentle cleanser, apply a cold compress, soak in a warm oatmeal bath, apply Alo
- How to Effectively Treat Stretch Marks to Diminish Them
Stretch marks or striae appear as red or purple marks on the skin and are actually a form of scarrin
- Medicine: A Science and Art
Medicine is all about dealing with the healing human ailments. It is both a science as well as art a
- Six Important Facts About Babesia
Babesia, which causes Babesiosis, generally requires two hosts throughout its lifespan. It originate
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Sinus Headache Relief
Sinus headache is a result of inflammation in the passage behind the cheeks, nose and eyes. It cause
- Simple Lifestyle Changes That Can Help You Get Rid Of Acne
As anyone who has ever suffered knows, acne can be a debilitating condition, causing humiliation and
- Acne Treatment For Children
Acne is a very common thing for children and adolescents especially between the ages of nine and sev
- Coping With An Ileostomy Due To Crohns Disease
Crohn's sufferers that have constipation due to a stricture, have a severe case of Crohn's that may
- Are There Home Remedies For Acid Reflux?
Acid Reflux or heart burn as it is commonly called is a very unpleasant condition in which the liqui
- How To Relieve Sinus Pressure
Swollen, inflamed sinuses are, to put it mildly, very uncomfortable. Sinuses get infected and inflam
- The Pain Of The Psoriasis Patient
Psoriasis is one of the most difficult diseases people have to deal with, effecting many areas in th
- Lipitor Memory Loss: When Memories Vanish, What Can You Do?
Lipitor memory loss has been experienced by patients taking this statin medication to reduce cholest
- Are Discount Vitamins For Everyone?
And the news is --- discount vitamins really are for just about everyone! Young, old, male, female,
- Are Pharmaceutical Sales Reps Really Needed?
Aside from a few free samples, some cheap pens and calendars, or maybe a sweet magnet to put on your