Health Killer Disease Sweeps Planet
Recent studies indicate that as many as four out of five people suffer from some form of gum disease. While many have only early forms such as gingivitis, a relatively mild infection of the gums, almost half have that infection's insidious older brother, periodontitis, which also attacks the bone that forms the very foundation for your teeth. Gum disease, technically known as periodontal (around the teeth) disease, puts your very teeth squarely at risk. Sufficiently advanced, it will cause them to become loose, or even to fall out altogether. This disease, and not dental caries or tooth decay, is responsible for sixty percent of lost adult teeth.
Ask anyone who's ever had it happen to her: Tooth loss definitely impacts your quality of life. For example, I once had a patient who was literally terrified that if she either sneezed or coughed, her dentures would be propelled out of her mouth and go flying across the room! Needless to say, that consciousness affected her every social activity. As you might imagine, our mouths are a primary part of our presentation to the world - and they can definitely be hard to hide! The ravages of this insidious bacterial infection adversely affect more than just your smile itself, but also your very self-image and self-worth.
Yet this is not, arguably, the most important part of the story. Gum disease is linked with a number of life-threatening illnesses that include stroke, heart attack, ulcers, diabetes, respiratory disease, low birth weight and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Recent studies have found that:
- There can be up to three times a greater risk of stroke and heart attack for people with severe periodontal disease - Oral bacteria has been found to be responsible for fifty-five percent of cases of infectious edema - Pregnant women with periodontal disease are eight times more likely to have pre-term, low birth weight babies.
"Not me," I can almost hear you saying. "I brush twice a day, floss regularly, and go to the dentist and have my teeth cleaned twice a year. My mouth is just fine." Maybe, maybe not... More often than not, periodontal disease has no obvious symptoms. And even when they do occur, some symptoms, such as blood on your toothbrush, are even considered usual. However, contrary to what you may have learned, or thought you learned, bleeding when you brush is definitely NOT okay.
To begin the delicate task of discovering whether or not you may have gum disease, here are seven signs to look for in your mouth:
1. Do your gums bleed when you brush? 2. Are your gums red, swollen, or tender? 3. Have your gums pulled away from your teeth? 4. Do you suffer from persistent bad breath? 5. Do you see pus between your teeth and gums? 6. Are your teeth loose? 7. Have you noticed a change in your bite (the way your teeth come together)?
What can YOU do if you have gum disease? First, consult your dentist. If he suggests a radical dose of home and health care, begin immediately! If he immediately suggests periodontal surgery, run, don't walk, to get a second opinion!
Sheila Wolf, RDH, affectionately called "Mama Gums," has been a registered dental hygienist since 1971. She is currently retired from clinical practice but enjoys writing, speaking, and consulting on various oral health issues. She has authored two award-winning books, Pregnancy and Oral Health: The critical connection between your mouth and your baby, and Your Mouth Could Be KILLING You. Both are available on her website, http://www.mamagums.com/about_book.html, through Amazon, and at finer bookstores everywhere. Sheila also works with people privately as an oral wellness coach, educating and empowering people to keep their natural teeth for a lifetime, avoid gum surgery, and just possibly add years to their lives. You may reach Sheila through her website, www.mamagums.com or in San Diego at 866-MAMA-GUMs. Sheila will happily share her articles with you. Please acknowledge her contribution by including her "Bio" at the end of the article.
Related Tags: pregnancy, gum disease, womens health issues, gingivitis, oral health, holistic dentistry
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Dental Insurance For Individual Can Be Of Help At Time
Dental problem may cost one a lot of money and pain. But, practicing a reasonable care could decreas
- Personal Trainer For Perfect Health
There is a general misconception that need for a fitness trainer comes for novice or from those who
- Varicose Veins - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
The majority of people after thirty notice the changes that appear with the maturing. In this case t
- Scenar Therapy - Self-treatment Or Healing Partnership
Do you want to learn about a device which will help you to ease your pain? If you get this kind of a
- Scenar - 5 "no, Nos" Of Scenar
Are you fed up with the pain in your body? Various parts of our body seem to ache due to different r
- Scenar Device - 5 Tips On Travelling With Your Scenar (skenar) Device
You might be aware of scenar which has become quite popular these days. This is actually the acronym
- Scenar Therapy - How To Treat Your Pet With Scenar
There are many alternative methods of treatment that are being invented these days. Lots of people a
- Your Options For The Treatment For Appendicitis
Appendicitis is considered to be a surgical illness. Due to its severe character, the treatment for
- How To Choose The Right Copd Medication
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD does not have any cure. But with the help of medicines
- Septic Arthritis: Infectious Agents Penetrate Joints' Spaces
Another major type of arthritis is septic arthritis, which is also known in various terms like: pyog
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Drugs - the Last Alternative for Adhd in Kids
Anyone over the age of thirty who has grown up with ADHD understands that there was not much help av
- Foods To Eat To Gain Weight
Malnutrition has the same degree of problem as obesity. There are people who are too skinny, they fi
- Understanding Postpartum Clothing
The same way most pregnant women dream of the day when they will begin showing for wearing maternity
- Kegel Exercising for Bladder Control and Enhanced Sexual Pleasure
Kegel exercises strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor, thereby improving the urethra and/or rec
- The Use Of Weight Loss Herbs
Nothing has garnered more attention in today's world than the success or failures of weight loss pro
- A Simple Acid Relux Cure
Many people today are afflicted with heartburn. If they eat food that is too spicy, they get heartbu
- Five Effective Household Back Pain Treatments
Back pain treatment comes in lots of forms, from exercise to pain mediction. Standard and most wides
- Herbal Remedies - Can They Cure What Ails You?
You've probably heard about herbal remedies before and how they can treat a variety of health proble
- Natural Relief for Tinnitus - What are your Choices
Natural Relief For Tinnitus - Alternative Options Did you know that there are an estimated 50 t
- Birthing Around the World
Since ancestral times, different cultures showed off different customs and beliefs around the miracl