How to Always Pitch A Strike
Here are six elements of a good elevator speech:
1. Get their attention. Start off with a bang: Open the conversation with a question that leads into what your business does. For example, if your product is new spam-blocking software, you could say, "Aren't you tired of getting spam no matter what blocker you use?" Or if your service allows customers to buy furnishings seen on TV shows, you might say, "Wouldn't it be great if you could buy the furnishings you see on some TV programs?" Then answer your own question. "My team has written a program that..." or "My company has developed a website that allows you to..."
2. Be a solution to a problem: The features of your solution are less important than the benefits. Make sure you give your target customers real-life examples of how your product or service will improve their business. It's something they've just got to have. Example: "Our new color-flashing toothbrush encourages kids to brush for a full minute."
3. Speak in plain English: Talk to them the way you'd talk to a regular person. Even if your product is complex, you'll lose your audience if you use MBA-speak or technobabble. And don't be afraid to be passionate about it.
Example: "SeekingCapital.com offers entrepreneurs and investors an interactive method for investing capital in pre-IPO companies. We offer a community that breeds interaction, education and discussion."
4. Tell them what they want to hear: Explain how it will make money; tell who is behind the company and frame the competitive landscape and your advantage in it.
Example: "ConstructionBoots.com drives traffic to the site by linking to other websites catering to the construction industry. Over 90% of construction workers have these three traits: 1) They have a favorite brand of boots, 2) they know their size, and 3) they hate shopping at stores. Most construction workers prefer to buy their boots online and have them delivered."
5. Tailor your pitch to your audience: Each person you talk to is different. If you're seeking a partner or an investor, you should know something about them or how their firm works. If you're approaching a stranger who could become a customer, focus on how the product or service will make their life easier.
6. What do you need to make it happen?: This is where the "rubber meets the road." What funding do you need to make it happen and what is the projected return on investment? Not only does having this info force you to be specific, it will give the person further proof of your seriousness and professionalism.
Example: "Right now, we're seeking $500,000 of additional funding in exchange for a 30% ownership stake in the company. If we hit our numbers, we expect to be able to sell ConstructionBoots.com to a 'brick and mortar' retailer within three years."
Be creative, but be prepared. And remember, pitching is a skill, and like any skill, it takes practice to get it right.
Related Tags: presentation, pitching, impression, elevator speech, listen and act
Alan Siege is owner and principal of Small Business Management Consulting (SBMC), which offers a wide range of services for individuals starting a business and small business owners who want to better manage and grow their business. For more info, visit http://www.SBMC.biz, or contact Alan Siege at 718-768-1672 or alan.siege@SBMC.bizYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The No. 1 Rule For Projecting Confidence - Speak With Authority
One of the most important characteristics a person can project in a business setting - or any situat
- After the Autumn Checkout European Debt Crisis and U.S. Brewing Rebound
In the commotion caused by the Fed on interest rates come to an end, the "disastrous" for the euro a
- Advantages Of Arcade Game Rentals
There are many different advantages to arcade game rentals. Most people need something to release th
- A General Primer on Truck Cargo Nets
In modern highways it is quite rare to see truck cargo nets in action, this is because they are usua
- The United States Will Burst More Severe Financial Crisis
Not long ago, suddenly announced that the central bank to raise interest rates, the interest rate hi
- Niche Marketing Profits - 3 Easy Steps to Finding a Profitable Niche Market Income in 10 Minutes
Like most beginners I was having a very difficult time trying to find a niche market to earn extra m
- The Importance of Hospitality Management Consulting Firms Toronto
Businesses and the managers that help guide any business are in a constant state of improvement and
- New Keynesian Theory Label
2010 winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics three theories have been labeled as "New Keynesian" labe
- Federal Reserve Pouring Money QE2 Unpredictable Fortune
U.S. economist Milton Friedman proposed a "throw the cash from a helicopter" view, while the practic
- Fiscal Consolidation Should no Longer Delay
British Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne today announced fiscal consolidation policy, shoc
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Common Financial Problems to Avoid
One must first change their habits and not procrastinate. American Consultants Inc at offers key fi
- How a Bad Hire Can Hurt Your Business
What's worse - hiring the wrong person or not hiring anyone at all? Companies can become almost des
- Joel Comm Is Dr. Adsense
What is Adsense? If you are new to making money online and net marketing, you may not know what Ads
- 5 Steps For A Dynamic Wealth System Online
Recipe: Opportunity + knowledge + Dynamic Wealth System + Your Action = Massive Success!!! Step 1
- How To Stop Foreclosure
Losing your house to a foreclosure can be very scary. There are times when circumstances are ou
- Membrane Diffuser Solutions for Wastewater Treatment Systems
In the aeration basin of a typical wastewater treatment plant there are both organic and inorganic m
- Another Year Hating Your Job or Loving Life?
Copyright © 2007 Mary Foley I've come to the conclusion that to be successful - really successf
- Dyestuff Industry In India And China
World demand for dyes and organic pigments to touch $10.6 billion in 2008According to a study on dye
- Cma-cgm Case : the Series of Lawsuits Continues in Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, France, England and the United States
Damietta company case : The series of lawsuits continues in Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, France, England a
- Behavioral Interviews - A Great Showcase for You
When you go into an interview, you need to leave your nerves at the door. The best way to prepare i