Getting Started on a Home Loan
Some of the best advice I can give for getting a home loan is to start early. I've included some information in this article to help you get started. Even if your time frame for buying a home is a year away, it's a good idea to talk with a home loan officer and find out if there is anything you can do to improve your financial status in the mean time. He or she may recommend ways to improve your credit score, and many are trained to help you increase your buying power well before it's time to buy.
I have included a list of everything you'll need to get started on your home loan. These requirements are standard for any lender. Depending on the lender, you may not need all of this information upfront, but they'll request the following at some point during the approval process:
1. Pay stubs for the most recent 30-day period.
2. Bank statements for all your accounts (checking, savings, 401K, etc.) for the last 2 months.
3. W-2 tax statements for the past 2 years (if you're self-employed or have a commission-based income, you'll need to provide personal and business tax returns for the past 2 years along with your most current year-to-date profit/loss statement).
4. Employer info (name, phone number, and address) for your most recent 2 years of employment.
5. Address(es) for your residence in the past 2 years (if you've rented, you'll need to give your landlord's name and phone number).
6. Money for a credit report and appraisal (which is usually $415).
When you're ready to talk with a lender, be sure to use a good name with a long-standing track record. One of the most important parts of choosing a lender is usually the last thing people think of. Make sure that the lender you choose is actually going to have the money at the closing table. Believe it or not, this has been one of the biggest problems over the past year - and especially in the past few months, since lenders are really having to minimize their risk in giving out loans. Work with a bank that closes on the loans they approve or commit to.
One way to make sure your loan will close is to make sure you're working with an in house underwriter. This means that when he/she approves a loan, it has already been signed off on and approved. Some home loan officers have to send off the loan to get approved. This is a major benefit of one of the lenders we personally use. Everything is local - even the funding is local. Nothing has to be sent off. Everything is done in house.
When any lenders takes your loan application, they have roughly 300 products (or loan packages) that you may qualify for. Using this large inventory, they find the best product for you. Some brokers have to go to another company to find their products. When this happens, many brokers look for who's going to pay them the most for sending their loan to a buyer. In these cases, the brokers are not finding what is truly the best loan product for you.
If you need recommendations for lenders, your real estate agent should be able to give you several recommendations of good ones to use. We work with so many lenders that we have a short list of home loan consultants we trust - and consultants who can give you credit counseling. So, if you have any questions, feel free to contact your real estate agent. And, know that it's never too early to start building your credit for buying a home!
Related Tags: mortgages, home loans, home mortgages, financing a home, lending tips, tips for home financing
Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- 5 Reasons to Buy Jasper Real Estate
Jasper is a small town in North Georgia and it is growing rapidly. Since North Georgia Foreclosures
- Ellijay Real Estate
Ellijay Georgia has always been known for it's outdoor activities and seasonal festivals. Downtown E
- How to Deal With Blocked Drains
A blocked drain is an occurrence that happens eventually to all households. You may have experienced
- The Benefits of Hiring a Plumbing Consultant
Your dream home may not always be brand new, with fresh paint and home essentials. There are certain
- The Worst Mistake You Can Make When You Apply to Rent a Home
A whole new class of people has become renters and potential renters in America during the last thre
- State of Individual Real Estate Markets
Everybody is well aware of the hit that the real estate market has taken over the past three years.
- Thoughts on Avoiding the Landlord Trap
I've heard several people say they would never invest in a multifamily rental property because they
- An Idea to Increase the Bottom Line of Your Investment Property
Are you pretty sure that you've already maximized the income coming from your property? If you've cl
- Finding the Value of a Piece of Investment Real Estate
There is a lot of confusion about how much investment property is really worth. We'll look at three
- Arkansas Land For Sale - Search Engine Optimization and Your Website
If you have Arkansas land for sale and are interested in advertising it on your website I have a few
Most viewed articles in this category:
- How High Did Home Prices Really Go
The U.S. Census Bureau released data on Tuesday that revealed where the nation's hottest markets wer
- New Homeowners Tips for Household Safety
With so many items on their ¡°buying a home¡± checklist, few homeowners take into considerati
- Truth About VA Foreclosures
Many people now days are finding themselves out of work and not being able to make the mortgage paym
- Avoid Rookie Real Estate Investing Mistakes
When Robert Kiyosaki, author of the Rich Dad book series, bought his first property he was, of cours
- Finding The Perfect Roommate On Craigslist
Craigslist, Roommates, and The Concerns Craigslist is "great" when it comes to looking for housing
- The Forgotten Secret To Selling Property - Simple, Quick And Cheap
Why spend big dollars trying to get people to drive a long way to see your house, when your best pro
- Get Amazing Results Selling Real Estate Online
This is the age of the internet. Why not take advantage of the widespread use of the internet to ad
- Dallas Real Estate Information
In the United States, Dallas is considered as the second leading state according to the area. If any
- The Largest Private Equity Indian Real Estate Deal
In the largest private equity deal won by the real estate sector, Morgan Stanley Real Estate has inv
- Fractional Real Estate Ownership
Fractional ownership of vacation ski condos is growing in popularity. Park City Utah a popular ski t