Herbs for Diabetes
Herbs For Diabetes
A new line of diabetes remedy that is gaining fast popularity nowadays is herbal treatment, with an assortment of plant-derived herbal cures being promoted as capable of controlling blood sugar levels.
Recent scientific investigation has confirmed the efficacy of many of these herbal preparations, some of which are remarkably effective. Herbal supplements along with proper diet, exercise can really help a person keep his blood sugar in check, and thus avoid the serious complications associated with the disease.
Herbs have remedial powers to restore balance to the body, enabling it to rely on its own healing powers. People who decide to try herbs many a times find themselves feeling better, and therefore assume that their diabetes is well under control. But, one must also simultaneously keep monitoring his blood sugar level, to see that it is within the normal range.
It is not intended through this article to diagnose, prescribe, or cure diabetes, but only provide certain information about alternative diet and references to plant descriptions which have relevance to diabetes mellitus.
Some of the well known herbs that help keep diabetes under control -
1. Fenugreek (methi) - Fenugreek seeds to be soaked overnight in a glass of water. Next morning have the water and chew the seeds - proves very beneficial in controlling sugar.
Known side effects of high doses include mild digestive pain. Fenugreek should not be used by pregnant or nursing women.
2. Indian Kino or Pitasara - has a long history of use in India as a treatment for diabetes. The flavonoid - epicatechin, extracted from the bark of this plant helps reduce sugar levels.
3. Aloe vera - regarded as a 'healing herb.' Dried aloe vera sap and gel (taken from the inner portions of the leaves) is used traditionally to treat diabetes, as it is believed that it helps lower fasting blood glucose levels as well as HbA1c.
4. Cinnamon bark- Makes human fat cells more accessible to insulin. Increases the conversion of glucose to energy manifold times. It also blocks the formation of dangerous free radicals.
5. Basil (tulsi) - studies have shown a positive effect on postprandial and fasting glucose, The herb facilitates the insulin secretion process.
6. Tian hua fen (trichosanthis) - shown to reduce blood sugar levels in Chinese research studies. It is very commonly used in herbal formulas for diabetics.
7. Gymnema Sylvestre (Gurmar or Cherukurinja) - Gymnema, an Ayurvedic herb helps the pancreas in the production of insulin in Type 2 diabetic patients, as well as improves the ability of insulin to lower blood sugar in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
8. Onion and garlic - Onion and garlic have significant blood sugar lowering action. Onion extract reduces blood sugar levels during oral and intravenous glucose tolerance. Thus, onion affects the hepatic metabolism of glucose and increases the release of insulin, thus preventing insulin's destruction.
Garlic and onions are beneficial for their cardiovascular effects. They are found to lower lipid levels, inhibit platelet aggregation and are antihypertensive.
9. Stevia - Stevia has been used traditionally to treat diabetes, and has beneficial effects on glucose tolerance. Stevia has been studied in animal experiments, but is yet to undergo large, controlled human studies.
10. Ginkgo biloba - Ginkgo biloba extract is useful for prevention and treatment of early-stage diabetic neuropathy.
11. Asian ginseng - Asian ginseng is commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat diabetes. It has a direct blood sugar lowering effect as it enhances the release of insulin from the pancreas and increases the number of insulin receptors.
12. Bitter Melon - The blood sugar lowering action of the freshly extracted juice or the pulp extract of the unripe fruit has been widely accepted. 50-60 ml of the juice if taken orally shows effective results. Excessive high doses of the juice can cause abdominal pain and diarrohea.
13. Bilberry - helps lower the risk of diabetic complications, such as diabetic cataracts and retinopathy (eye damage).
Certain precautions to be followed while taking herbs along with diabetic drugs -
« Some diabetes drugs and herbs should not be taken together as the herb may affect positively or negatively the drug's effect on the person. People with any sort of renal disease, liver problem or any other chronic illness are at an extra risk for complications.
« People with some heart disease if taking a blood thinner such as aspirin, ecospirin should avoid taking garlic, ginger, ginkgo biloba, ginseng as it can lead to increased bleeding.
« If taking a herbal remedy, do not stop your current diabetes drugs if any.
« If taking a diabetes drug, ginseng can further lower blood sugar levels, possibly causing low blood sugar or hypoglycemia.
« If taking herbal supplements for diabetes, do it under medical supervision if possible. Keep monitoring sugar level regularly, to check for any sudden fall in glucose levels.
« Do not take any extra dose. More will not make your sugar less.
If you are a diabetic and taking medication to control blood sugar levels, it is best to have your blood sugar monitored while taking these herbs. Consult your doctor to adjust the dosage of medications accordingly, so that the blood sugar doesn't drop too drastically. It is likely that one will eventually be able to taper off the herbs and medication, and control sugar through exercise and diet.
For diabetes information, Diabetes Testing, diabetes treatment, diabetes causes visit www.diabetesmellitus-information.com
Related Tags: diabetes, diabetes diet, diabetes treatment, diabetes food, diabetes types, diabetes complications, diabetes exercises
For diabetes information, Diabetes Testing, diabetes treatment, diabetes causes visit www.diabetesmellitus-information.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Relieve Back Pain From Spinal Stenosis, Herniated Disc With Laser Spine Surgery
Do you suffer from chronic back and neck pain? Do you need surgery, but you're afraid of invasive pr
- Issues And Advantages Of Hemorrhoid Medical Procedures
Hemorrhoid surgery is what people resort to if other therapies have failed. Surgical elimination fre
- Anyone Can Be Affected By Lyme Disease Symptoms
Lyme Disease is a tricky one to diagnose. It is incredibly easy to contract due to the size of the t
- Are You Sick?
Symptoms for Lyme disease are numerous. A portion of these are very apparent. Some are more subtle a
- Acne Curing Techniques - Natural Methods
This writeup suggests yet more ways of clearing your acne for good. Water helps flush the body of to
- What Are The Symptoms Of Kidney Problems?
Although many kidney problem symptoms share a variety of similarities, there are still variations de
- Herpes - Treating The Pain
A herpes infection can be a very painful experience. This can also affect you physiologically, emoti
- Personal Care Of Lung's Health: Avoiding Cancer
Cancer can be in the form of many names. It can affect even the smallest bone or muscle inside the h
- Acid Reflux Disease - The Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
Acid reflux, or gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), is a condition that produces abnormal reflu
- What Will Happen If Gout Or High Uric Acid Is Left Untreated
Gout is not just a is toe pain that comes and goes, gout is a warning that sign that your body is un
Most viewed articles in this category:
- How to Cure Candida with Acidophilus
If you are having Candida, you need to know about acidophilus as it might help you with your conditi
- The Symptoms Of Anorexia And Bulimia Nervosa
One of the most notable symptoms of anorexia and bulimia is the fast and excessive loss of weight. T
- Self Care Tips For People With Parkinson's Disease
Parkinson's disease can be overwhelming for many people who have it. Not only must patients face the
- Common Wart Removal Doctor
Most common wart removal doctor or dermatologists are not only dealing with common warts but also wa
- Crohn's Disease and You
If you have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease or another Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Codliver Oil to Remove Skin Moles and Warts
The use of codliver oil to remove skin moles and warts is noted however this is less popular as comp
- Early Warning Signs of Parkinson's Disease - What To Look For
Parkinson's disease develops when the neurons of the substantia nigra in the brain become progressiv
- Leaky Gut Syndrome, Celiac Disease, Crohn's Disease, and Colitis Linked to Altered Gut Permeability
Leaky gut syndrome:Leaky gut syndrome is a term often used in complementary or alternative medicine
- Acid Reflux Disease Diet
Acid Reflux is becoming a common problem these days due to the changing life styles and poor eating
- Viral Infection Headache From Meningitis
A viral infection headache can come from different types of viruses. The concern about having such