The Metric System - Conquer Your Fear
If so, you are not alone. But don't worry, learning and using the metric system really isn't as hard as you may fear. And there are many resources available to help you.
The metric system is an international system of weights and measures, based on the meter as a unit of length, and the gram as the unit of weight. Other measurements are derived from these basic dimensions. The decimal system (powers of 10) is used to describe larger and smaller multiples of these primary measurements.
To describe measurements larger than the base unit, the most common prefixes are kilo- (thousand) and mega- (million).
For measurements smaller than the base unit, the common prefixes are deci- (tenth), centi- (hundredth) and milli- (thousandth).
So, for example, 1 meter equals 10 decimeters, or 100 centimeters, or 1000 millimeters. And 1 kilometer equals 1000 meters. In the same way, a kilogram equals 1000 grams. Since we are familiar with powers of 10, it should simply be a matter of learning the prefixes once, and then applying them to all of the different units.
The more difficult part, for most people, is getting a feel for the size of metric measurements in comparison to the standard or U.S. customary units with which we are familiar.
Here are some approximate comparisons that may help:
- 1 liter is a little more than 1 quart (Think of the common 2 liter soda bottles.)
- 4 liters is just over 1 gallon.
- 1 meter is a little more than 1 yard or 3 feet.
- 1 inch is about 2.5 centimeters (2 and one-half centimeters).
- 30 centimeters is about 1 foot.
- 1 kilometer is a little over half a mile.
- 1 kilogram is a little more than 2 pounds.
- 1 gram is about the weight of a paper clip, and a nickel weighs about 5 grams.
There may be times when you need to convert between metric and U.S. customary units. Don't worry, there are many tools you can use to make it easier. If you have access to the internet, there are web sites that will do the metric conversion on-line for you. If you need to do these kinds of calculations on a regular basis, you can buy special calculators that will make your task quick and easy. There are also many books and charts listing conversion factors and tables. When facing this challenge, there is no reason to be overwhelmed. Remember to take advantage of all of the resources available to help you.
Related Tags: convert, metric system, metric conversions, metric, measurement, units, meter, liter, gram
Robert Burke has a Master of Science degree in Engineering, and many years of experience in science education, industry and writing. Visit Science Made Simple (http://www.sciencemadesimple.com) for easy on-line metric conversions and to read more articles on science fairs and science projects.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- How Hypnotherapy Can be Used on Children
Today Hypnosis can be termed as a branch of medicine which is quite unique, whereas in the past this
- Confidence Workshops For Children
Every parent wants their children to be confident, happy, highly motivated and enthusiastic in order
- Inspiring Children Using NLP
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) is one of the most successful therapies in psychology today. Init
- Writing Term Papers
Students often tend to put off a written assignment, considering it to be a chore too formidable to
- Naming In Term Paper
Give a descriptive name to each of your concept in the paper. Adhere using terms like "our approach"
- Introduction Section of a Research Paper
Your introductions should not exceed more than two pages (typed, double spaced). See again the examp
- Getting a Feedback of Your Term Paper is Important!
Get the feedback of your work! Finish your paper, having written it well in advance, so that you hav
- The 1950's - Was Life Better?
Iconic TV shows like I Love Lucy, Dennis the Menace and My Three Sons seem to indicate that the 1950
- Online Classroom Systems Makes Home Schooling Even More Attractive
In the past it went without saying that you would send your kids to public schools. With public scho
- 8 Helpful Tips For Surviving Military Basic Training
Getting through military basic training takes a lot perseverance. During this training it is best to
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Culinary Cooking Schools and What They Teach
Culinary cooking schools prepare you for a job in the culinary industry by providing you with the kn
- How To Learn Spanish Quickly Without Moving To Spain
Learning Spanish is a popular pastime, as well as a serious goal for many individuals. Whether it's
- How To Improve Your Life With An Accredited Online College Degree
With the information super highway raring full steam ahead, quality accredited online college degree
- Online Bachelor Degree Programs Go Mainstream
The Internet has seen an explosion in online bachelor degree programs in the last five to ten years
- Online Degree Program Just A Click Away
You want to go shopping, but your car is low on gas. You want to know your account balance, but do n
- Online Paralegal Degree Will Open Doors
An online paralegal degree may offer the possibility of improving your chances in the legal professi
- What West Point Military School Looks For In A Candidate
West Point is looking for well rounded young men and women who are good students, good athletes, and
- The Importance of Effective Accounting Programs
In the past, small businesses like mom and pop stores were not required to maintain any sort of acco
- California Schools Educators Retirement System And Lionstone Group Create Investment Fund
The California State Teachers' Retirement System (CSTRS) is the second largest public pension fund i
- A Taste of China - Seattle Schools New Guest Teacher Shares Language and Culture of Her Native Hom
The Seattle schools have a new "guest" teacher. Zhu Dan arrived in the Seattle schools in January