5 Keys To Getting And Keeping Volunteers
I have listed below practical ways you can motivate people to volunteer and keep them volunteering in your organisation.
1. Appreciate your volunteers. Appreciate that people give up their spare time to come and volunteer. They may have put aside social activities, family time or friends to come and help. Make sure that volunteers feel appreciated. You can do this by openly honoring them, send flowers to say thank you after a large event, send them on a weekend away for a break, buy them a massage or a beauty treatment.
If volunteers do not feel appreciated for what they are doing, they will eventually spend their time and effort where they do feel appreciated.
2. Pay Volunteer's expenses. Volunteers are already donating time to their organisations. It would be wrong to expect them to end up out of pocket as well.
Payment of expenses is important from an equal opportunities point of view. People on benefits or low incomes should not be excluded because they cannot afford the cost of travel or meals out.
Not paying expenses will make it harder to recruit, as the more barriers you place in the way of volunteers the less likely they are to want to volunteer for you.
3. Create a Volunteer policy. This is not always necessary for informal groups but once groups that use volunteers start to become larger and more formal the importance of a volunteer policy increases.
A volunteer policy ensures consistency, and demonstrates a commitment to good practice. It also helps clarify exactly why volunteers are being used within an organisation, and how they will work alongside paid staff. And for volunteers, it makes clear how they can expected to be treated by the organisation.
4. Find out why. Find out why people are volunteering for a specific area and it will enable you to place them in a position doing something that they are passionate about. It is better to have people that are self motivated because they love what they are doing, then to have to always push and motivate them.
5. Delegate. If somebody volunteers for an area and they are more than capable of taking it on, give it over! You cannot micro manage everything and expect to succeed in every area, you are spreading yourself too thin. This is especially important for your organisation as it grows bigger and you find that you do not have enough time to do everything you were once doing.
Delegate what you can.
Related Tags: inspirational, church, volunteering, motivated, volunteers, church life
Is there greatness on the inside of you but you don't know how to achieve it? Jason has just completed his brand new 7 part e-course, 'Find Your Greatness'
Get it free when you subscribe at: Find Your Greatness
Jason and Rebecca Osborn have dedicated themselves to changing thousands of lives by helping people find their greatness and true potential through their Find Your Greatness Newsletter.
Also log onto http://livingword.ie for more inspirational messages.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Communicating With Othres
Communicating With Others We constantly interact with, and relate to others and the world around u
- Acciaio: Materiale Eterno Dai Mille Utilizzi
Dalla rivoluzione industriale ad oggi le tecniche di produzione e lavorazione acciaio inox si sono
- Team Building: an Art of Human Nature
Working together as a team is a human art loved and appreciated by all. A successful company will h
- Have a San Diego Christmas Party
From The Marina Village to The Holiday Inn in downtown San Diego there are thousands of Christmas o
- Kids Personalized Music is the Perfect Gift
Kids Juke Box may make the perfect gift for your child especially if you are highly interested to d
- Explore Your Child's Creativity by Using Children's Personalized Music
Few people know that children are likely to respond to sounds and music at a young age. Actually, a
- Provide Your Child With an Extra Creative Opportunity: the Personalized CD
Kurt Penberg and his Kids Juke Box are the genuine pioneers when it comes to the personalized child
- Convey Genuine Affection and Love With the Personalized Gifts for Children
The personalized gifts are the perfect way to express your affection and love. For instance, you ca
- Why Practice Corporate Team Building?
If there is one constant in business it is that everything changes. Your business success is based
- Five Tips for Team Building in Washington DC
If you work in Washington DC or if you are leading a corporate team building retreat and you want t
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Virtual Team: The Changing Face of Business
Virtual teams are the way of the 21st century, according to David Crisp. Crisp is a professional spe
- The human stock factor
There is nothing more troubling to today's employers than the fact that young workers (mostly ages 2
- Curbing Low Morale
Q: I am the office manager of a small insurance firm. I have been here nine months and have noticed
- Leading Multicultural Teams
While managing a multicultural workforce while working overseas, I have seen the advantages multicul
- The Seven Characteristics of a High-Performing Team
If you lead a team, you know that the journey to high-performance is ongoing. It's the rare team tha
- Planning a Team Building Event - Help Is As Close As Saying I Love Team Building
Managers and workplace experts alike agree that in concept, corporate team building activities are a
- Cash In On Your Human Capital: Using Personality Type to Optimize Your Team
Can you improve productivity, facilitate effective communication, and create a team that works like
- Recognize Your Employees and Award Plaques
When your employees work hard, they deserve to be recognized by awards or plaques. As an owner of a
- Mentoring Success Secrets
Mentoring Success Secrets? … key questions to ask.Mentoring has proven itself to be an effective too
- Working For A Salary - Why Not?
You probably know them too, those sites, people or opinions against the concept of a (monthly) salar