Landlord Insurance - Top Tips For Property Owners
Here are some tips for landlords along with some answers that many property owners ask on a regular basis about how best you can make sure your properties are protected.
What can I do to protect my property?
Insurance is available so that in the event of a loss (by an insured event) you will be protected and covered.
In order to reduce the chances of a loss you can however take certain steps to help. These include:
1. Make your property more secure by installing deadlocks on doors and locks on the windows.
2. Install an alarm system. Many insurers will offer a lower premium because you have lowered the risk of loss through theft. For certain postal areas a minimum level of security will be required.
3. Remove potential fire hazards from around the outside of the house as well as inside, particularly around the kitchen.
4. Make sure you have working smoke detectors and a suitable fire extinguisher. Put the extinguisher somewhere handy and make sure members of your household know how to use it.
What should I insure my contents for?
As a landlord, it is quite possible that the property that you are letting contains contents that you own. It is important to note these contents and ensure that you have provided adequate cover for them in your insurance policy. It might be worth doing a room by room inventory and working exactly what level of cover you require. Again though if you are in any doubt, just ask.
How can landlords minimize financial losses related to repairs and maintenance?
You can avoid many problems by maintaining the property in excellent condition. Here's how:
1. Use a written checklist to inspect the premises and fix any problems before new tenants move in.
2. Encourage tenants to immediately report safety or security problems such as plumbing, heating, broken doors or steps; whether in the tenants unit or in common areas such as hallways and garages.
3. Keep a written log of all tenant complaints and repair requests with details as to how and when problems were fixed.
4. Handle urgent repairs as soon as possible and take care of any safety issues within 24 hours. Keep tenants informed as to when and how the repairs will be made.
5. Twice a year, give tenants a checklist on which to report potential safety hazards or maintenance problems that might have been overlooked.
Use the same checklist to personally inspect all rental units once a year.
Also, your commitment to repair and maintenance procedures should be clearly set out in the lease or rental agreement.
Owning a property or a portfolio of properties can be very rewarding so follow these simple tips and make sure you and your properties are protected at all times.
Related Tags: property, insurance, broker, uk, school, house, nursery, landlord, building, contents, flat, rent
Apex Radio Systems Ltd are Two Way Radio Experts . For all your 2 Way Radio needs visit http://www.apexradio.co.uk Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Beginning of the Cataloging Code
The first significant cataloging code was published in 1841. The realization that cooperation and s
- In the Lap of the Gods 24
Life moved on. Lily became well liked by both students and staff because of her cheerful outlook on
- In the Lap of the Gods 23
Does fate decide the future? Is it all mapped out for us, predestined, or can we influence what com
- Write Your Memoir: How to Write About What Troubles You the Most
Everyone has a story to tell, and unfortunately those stories aren't always pleasant. What makes me
- How Crafty Word Order Can Instantly Improve Your Writing
by Philip Yaffe I am usually very reticent about offering writing tips. Unless they are linked to
- You Say Grandpa, I Say Deda
I was born with two grandmothers but only one grandfather. In nature's rules of familial supply and
- My Russian American Dichotomy
I was a Russian girl and an American teenager. I had no choice about the first but I tried very har
- In the Lap of the Gods 22
This is just an explanation for those who have read some of the other Chapters of, "In the Lap of t
- Write a Book: 8 Reasons You Should Do it
Studies have shown that 82% of people want to write a book, but few of these actually ever achieve
- Book Review: the Book of Common Prayer
Book Review: The Book of Common Prayer, "My carry-with-me copy is this size, and I recommend it for
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Real Estate Investment - Investing In Commercial Properties
As in any other type of investment, its obviously advisable to do your research well so that the pro
- Taking Care Of Acne Prone Skin With Proper Skin Care Products
Although acne has been largely associated with teeners and puberty, the condition is not only confin
- Do I Really Need Eight Hours Of Sleep Each Night?
What if you were told that there is no definitive answer for why we need to sleep? Your initial reac
- How to Improve Your FICO Credit Score
If you didn't know this already, having a good credit score is more important than having a lot of c
- 10 Tips for a Magnificent Memory
"Where did I leave my keys?" "What did I come in here for?" "Your glasses are on top of your head!"
- Things You Might Like To Know About Card Companies
If you have a regular income and are 18 or over then you may be able to get a credit card. You will
- Bad Breath in Babies and Toddlers
If your baby or toddler has had bad breath lately, not to worry. There are plenty of things you can
- Starving College Students No More
The majority of today's college students are extremely Internet savvy. In fact, many of those studen
- Cosmetic Surgery Financing: How Can You Get It?
Cosmetic surgery, a branch of plastic surgery, can be quite expensive, especially if you are plannin
- Article Marketing, Improve Your Ranking With Links
Article Marketing, without a doubt remains the best free formula for attracting website traffic. At