Traumatic Child Birth
The process of becoming a mother involves a certain amount of psychological strain for a pregnant woman. In fact, for some women, childbirth can be as traumatic as life-threatening events such as a natural disaster or a war.
During pregnancy, it is important for the to-be mother's family members and close ones to support her as required. During childbirth, women are likely to experience a range of emotions, which may include:
- Anxiety and fear that can manifest as intense flashbacks and nightmares
- Helplessness or a feeling of loss of control or feeling incomplete
- Severe depression
- Anger, irritability
- Obsessive talking about their traumatic experiences
- Ambivalent feelings toward the baby
- Hyper-vigilance and hyper-sensitivity to any perceived injustice
- Other symptoms such as drug and alcohol abuse, phobias, fainting spells, eating disorders, suicidal tendencies
- It should be noted that such responses are natural reactions to a scary event, and are not signs of weakness. However, husbands can provide the necessary support to enable their spouses to cope with birth trauma.
During and before childbirth
- Medical care - Ensure that your spouse gets all the medical care she requires. Inform her about the available choices. Involve her in the decision-making process.
- Pain relief - Women experience intense physical and mental pain during childbirth. Use tried and tested techniques that aim to reduce this pain. For example, massages, baths, relaxation techniques may help.
- Emotional support - Often, women complain that people around them dismiss their problems. Sometimes, simply listening to your spouse may act as a solution.Remember that your spouse requires all the emotional support you can give her.
- Additional support - Counseling, antenatal classes, support organizations for birth trauma, etc. can really help.
- Providing care - After childbirth, adequate nutrition, exercise are necessary to ensure that your spouse is healthy.
- Sharing responsibility - Taking care of the newborn baby can be a difficult and tiring task. For some women, the child can be a reminder of their traumatic experiences. Your spouse needs some time away from her baby. Ensure that you or responsible family members are available to take care of the baby for at least some time.
- Counseling - Contact a health professional immediately if your spouse develops symptoms of a traumatic birth.
Related Tags: newborn baby, pregnancy care, traumatic child birth
Paul Banas is a founder of GreatDad.com. He writes articles on pregnancy symptoms, sex during pregnancy, parenting tips and many more topics related to dads.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Tips For Healthy Pregnancy
For a healthy new baby, healthy pregnancy is a must. Every woman has a desire for a healthy pregnanc
- How To Make Your Pregnancy Healthy And Comfortable
Healthy pregnancy is the first and for most thing which the every mother desire for. This could only
- Morning Sickness Symptoms - 3 Signs That Morning Sickness Has Begun
Morning sickness is a normal part of pregnancy for most women. 7 of every 10 women will go through m
- Morning Sickness Remedy - 3 Methods That Will Have You Feeling Better Instantly
For most women, morning sickness will be the most unpleasant time during pregnancy. Over seventy per
- Morning Sickness Cures - Survive Morning Sickness With 5 Proven Remedies
In the first phase of pregnancy, your body goes through rapid hormonal changes that will prepare you
- Ginger For Morning Sickness - 3 Ways To Utilize Ginger For Fast Morning Sickness Relief
Ginger is a potent herb, native to Asia that has various healing powers, one of which is eliminating
- End Morning Sickness - Get Rid Of Morning Sickness With 3 Easy Remedies
Morning sickness impacts four out of every five women. The symptoms and severity of morning sickness
- The Best Vitamins And Minerals In Increasing Fertility
There are many natural treatments that can help improve the fertility of a couple. These natural tre
- Safe Exercises During Pregnancy-how To Safely Exercise During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is such a wonderful time in a woman's life. Having a little life growing inside you is suc
- Getting Tubes Untied: Pregnant After Tubal Ligation
Most people have heard to term getting your "tubed tied". This refers to the procedure called tubal
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Do You Have Any Doubts About Pregnancy Tests?
Read this and all doubts about pregnancy and pregnancy tests will be cleared.The fertilized egg plan
- Pregnancy Advice
The 10 Things You Should Do when you are pregnant, these are not the hardcore scientific stuff, just
- Choosing the Sex of your Baby - the Moral Question
Some people oppose gender selection calling it an attempt at playing God. They believe that nature m
- Deciphering The Fertility Calendar
If you are one of the many couples around the world that are trying to conceive, I'm sure you've see
- Getting Rid Of Stretchmarks
Getting rid of stretchmarks can be a difficult thing to do. They're ugly and make days at the beach
- Fun and Unique Baby Shower Decorating Ideas
Baby showers are a great way of announcing to the world that you are going to be a new mother. Since
- How To Plan a Baby Shower on a Budget
So you're throwing a baby shower, and have no idea what you need or where to go to plan your baby s
- How To Start Labor: What Works?
Overdue pregnancy can be physically and mentally challenging. If you have difficulties in sleeping,
- 37 Weeks Pregnant - It's Nearly Time To Give Birth
37 weeks pregnant and you're almost to your due date. In most cases you've reached the point that if
- Holiday Season and Baby Showers - Should You Have Them?
People often wonder whether they should hold a baby shower during the hustle and bustle of the holid