What Types of Sharks Lived Millions of Years Ago?
The first interesting fact about prehistoric sharks is that contrary to today's numbers, sharks used to represent 60% of the fish population while now; this percentage has dramatically dropped to 3%.
The size of sharks varied as much as 1 m up to 40 m in length. There were peculiar species of sharks such as flying sharks which escaped larger predators by flying out of the water. Others, like the Megalodon which lived from 5 to 1.6 million years ago, were the largest predator that ever swam in the waters of our planet.
They were so large that their huge teeth which measured as much as 17 cm are mainly the testimony of their existence. The Megalodon was as long as a Greyhound bus and weighted as much as 7 or 8 Tyrannosaurus Rex.
There were also huge differences between males and females. In several species, the male displayed a horn-shaped sexual ornament that was covered with shark teeth. These sharks also proudly show off bright colors.
Some prehistoric sharks were so huge that they would feed on medium size sharks, dolphins and whales. If you put an average size man in the mouth of a Megalodon, it would fit standing up since its jaws were so big.
With sharks as diversified, strange looking and of impressive dimensions, no wonder they made history!
Related Tags: types of sharks, sharks, megalodon, flying sharks, prehistoric sharks
My name is Sylvie Leochko. I have always been intrigued by sharks, their species, especially one of the most feared types of sharks known to mankind, the great white shark. My fascination with sharks led me to share my knowledge of them with you. If you are as interested in sharks as I am, I encourage you to follow this link: http://sharks.findoutnow.org/types-of-sharks.htmlYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Radio Controllers - Knowing The Basics
Radio controlled models are different in design and structure, but at their core are the same radio
- The Fourth Decade Of Modern Stereology 1991-2001
Modern stereology introduced an entirely new set of rules for quantification of biological objects i
- Science & Technology Articles - How to buy Wireless IP security cameras
Due to the increasing need for surveillance devices, camera's production become more increasingly. I
- Science & Technology Articles - Sony Ericsson Hottest Phones
One of the best phones created by Sony Ericsson, is the G502 phone. Sony has established that phones
- Entertainment Articles - It's What Is Behind The Scenes That Make Your Movie Viewing Pleasurable
Is there anything that can make or break your entertainment system at home and is something that no
- Current Affairs Articles - 2012 Facts
Making sense How can we make sense of this? Each different theory or combination of theories will m
- Science & Technology Articles - High-density PCIe Telephony Cards from Telesoft Technologies
With well over two decades of experience in the networking and media fields, Telesoft Technologies i
- Science & Technology Articles - IVR Servers from Telesoft Technologies
The interactive voice response server (IVR Server) solution is perhaps one of the most important rec
- Education Articles - Old Teachers Learning New Technological Tricks
As technology and teaching methods have progressed, many classrooms have found themselves brighten
- Business Articles - A Guide To Streamlining Office Technology
Any modern office will likely have the following core contents: desks, chairs, networked computers
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Bat in Bible and Quran
One of the inherited doctrines of mankind is that the Quran is quoted or borrowed from the Bible.The
- The Rabbit in Bible and Quran
The Bible says that the Rabbit is a ruminant animal while the sciences say that the Rabbit is not a
- The Semen in Bible and Quran
One of the expanded dogmas of mankind is that the Quran is quoted or borrowed from the Bible. This c
- The Iron in Bible and Quran
Before dealing with the topic of the Iron in Quran versus Bible versus sciences, it is essential to
- More and More, Scientists Recognize That Foods Can Heal
Folk remedies that used to be written off as old wives' tales are now being acknowledged by scientis
- Streamlining the Management of Print Spooler Output in an Oracle Applications Environment
The customer associated with this case study is a large, multi-national manufacturer of product
- Manapol: Why Should I Use It?
Manapol® Why Should I Use It? "Upon entry to the cells, mannans can activate the ma
- The Sleep in Bible and Quran
Before dealing with the topic of the Fly in Quran versus Bible versus sciences, it is essential to r
- How are Cinematography and Memorabilia Related to Sharks?
Sharks have influenced both cinematography and its memorabilia through the years. From Jaws the movi
- Can Shark Anatomy Provide a Cure for Cancer?
For thousand of years, sharks have either been considered as a cruel human predator or the main ingr