How To Deal With Alcohol Slip Ups
You'll hear it all the time: "I haven't had a drink in thirty years." Bill Wilson, the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, wrote that after having a vision of God, he never took another drink in his life. Who are we to say that isn't true? How do we know, we weren't there! However, there is one thing that drug and alcohol therapists and people in recovery know: it is extremely rare to find someone in long-term recovery that hasn't had at least one "slip." Maybe several slips. This is not uncommon and it does not mean that if you slip, you have failed in your recovery.
Let's straighten out some terminology. A "slip" is a brief event when you break your abstinence and have a drink. Or three. You may even go on a binge-drinking spree for a few days. Finally, you realize that you're making a big mistake, so you stop and re-commit yourself to abstinence. Maybe you found out that having "just one drink" won't work for you; you are unable to drink in moderation.
A "relapse" is a full return to drinking. You pick up right where you left off; daily drinking, health problems, DUI arrests, binge-drinking, relationship and job problems because of your excessive drinking - the whole nightmare. You don't stop until you are stopped by your spouse, the criminal justice system, your boss, etc. To stop drinking again, you need professional assistance, perhaps even hospitalization for detox and treatment.
Having a slip is not the end of the world; not even close. While slips may not be how you want to behave, they can also be a very valuable source of information about why, when, and where you drink. Instead of beating yourself up about having a slip, here are some positive steps you can take if you have a slip:
· Learn from the slip. What happened in your life that resulted in you giving in to the urge to drink? Stress? Anger? Sadness? Disappointment? Celebration? Holidays? A social gathering? Look very closely at what you were thinking and feeling right before you slipped. Once you have identified the "trigger," when it happens again you will know that this is a time when you will be tempted to drink. This knowledge is truly power! If you understand the reason(s) for your slip, from now on you will be prepared to face that exact same situation without drinking!
· Don't allow yourself to feel guilt or shame. You are not perfect; you are going to make some mistakes. Ease up on yourself. You did not fail and you have no reason to feel ashamed. You found out something very important; certain feelings or situations are drinking "triggers" for you.
· Don't lie about, or cover up, your slip. Tell the truth to your support group, your spouse, your counsellor, whomever. Lying about something tends to mean that you did something wrong or shameful, and this just is not so! Talking about your slip with someone you trust is incredibly helpful in deterring future slips.
· Re-commit to abstinence today! Right now! Tell yourself "Well, that was interesting. I learned a lot from that slip, and now I'm going back to abstinence. I will be prepared the next time I'm "triggered."
Once you have learned from your slip, let it go. You can't change the past, but you need not repeat it.
Related Tags: rehab, alcohol abuse, drinking, addictions, alcohol treatment, binge drinking
Rahul Nag is the London, England based former problem drinker who was drinking too much but gave up and now found he has an even better time than before. He has designed a course on how others can either cut down or give up drinking alcohol without ruining their social life. To get your free 5 part course, please visit http://www.alcoholfreesociallife.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Resurgence of Fred Perry Clothing
Summer might long be over and Wimbledon may be a distant memory, however the fashion is a year round
- Uncovering Men's Tank Tops
I don't know a thing about you, but I'll bet that you have worn a tank top. Tank tops have also been
- Make Use of Silk Scarves to Take Good Care of Your Skin
In the event you are new about silk scarves, you could never read about this particular feature of s
- Just For Men Scarves - the Preference For Guys in the Vogue Domain
If you are not certain what style of present you could provide for men, maybe you can consider men s
- Think Black Friday Shopping is Beyond Your Budget?
Moms who are juggling the bills and still trying to provide the perfect holiday gift to loved ones a
- How to Make Conscious Shopping Choices
Many people have heard the phrase "voting with your dollars" and they understand that it means your
- Silk Scarves - Unique Present Approach in Xmas Seasons
The most prevalent silk add-on is scarves, and many focus is presented on inspired designing on thes
- Benefits of an Aloe Vera Shampoo
A lot of people are not aware of the specific benefits that using an aloe vera shampoo can do to the
- How Effective is the Power of Your Subconscious Mind?
Most people are bombarded with this thought whenever they feel weak and wish to affect certain chang
- Silk Scarf - the Record For Human Being in the Style History
Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries the worldwide recognition of silk scarves developed dramatica
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Surf and Turf: the Race Track
Surf and Turf: The Race TrackOne of the favorite places for The G to hang out at, especially in Summ
- Are You Looking For Cholesterol Drugs Without Side Effect?
High cholesterol level is probably one of the widely spread complication among Americans. Almost for
- Friday the 13th could be a lucky day?
Friday the 13th sounds unlucky ? Traditional superstition ? And a lot of people dislike it and beli
- Don't Judge A Man
Our world is full of bad tongues, fault-finders, gossipers, mockers, and insulters but do these grou
- When Personalized Gifts Make a Difference
Finding the right gifts for a particular occasion is always a challenging task. Sometimes it is nic
- Managing My Resistance: Learning To Flow With What Life Offers
One of the things that interests me most about conflict is the tendency to resist it and the ways in
- What Are Horoscopes Based On?
If you do not know much about astrology, you may wonder what are horoscopes based on and how astrolo
- 7 Dumbest Relationship Mistakes Smart People Make
We often find ourselves amid the wreckage of a love gone wrong, wringing our hands and asking, "Why
- Motivation as the heart of self improvement
You should be able to find several indispensable facts about Motivation in the following paragraphs
- Is Complete Abstinence from Use of Paychoactive Substances Necessary for Recovery?
Can a sober alcoholic in recovery who has no history of abuse of marijuana, use marijuana without