Dog Friendly Hotels 5 Tips for You and Your Dog at Dog Friendly Hotels
Whether your plans include a beach resort, downtown hotel, or a mountain lake retreat here are 5 tips to keep you and your dog happy at dog friendly hotels.
1. After checking in, take your dog for a short walk around the grounds, going back to your room several times. Your dog will leave a scent trail and feel more comfortable in the strange surroundings. Go down the hall, up the stairs, out the front entrance of the hotel and down to the pool. Go out to the parking lot and then back to your room. Your dog is curious about its environment just like you are.
2. Whenever you take your dog outside your room carry a small spray bottle of cleaner, a few paper towels and of course plastic bags for cleanup, a bottle of hand disinfectant is a good idea as well. You can pack this in a fanny pack to be less conspicuous. Always take it with you, if you don't, you can be sure that's the one time your puppy pal will go potty. If that happens don't scold your dog, just calmly clean up the mess. Dogs are trained to go outside and they don't know that the hotel landscaping is off limits for example.
3. Never leave your dog in the hotel room alone, even if it's crated, or otherwise restrained. The dog may not be able to destroy anything in the room if it's confined but it can bark and howl. And that's exactly what the dog will do when separated from its family. Dogs are pack animals and don't want to be left in a strange place without its' pack members and that's you. Most dog friendly hotels insist that dogs are not left in the room alone. Don't be tempted to run out even for five minutes. If you need ice put your dog on the leash and take him with you to get the ice.
4. Even if your dog is well trained to walk with you off leash, keep him/her on the leash at all times. Most cities have leash laws. And just as importantly it's common courtesy to the other guests. It's hard to believe but not everyone loves dogs. Small children can be easily frightened by dogs, even if your dog has the sweetest nature, the child doesn't know that. Keep in mind your dog is out of its element and may be frightened. Frightened dogs may have a tendency to defend themselves against strangers, even if they don't at home.
5. Pack an extra leash. It's a good idea to leave a leash and collar in the car's glove compartment too. If it's time for a potty break it's not the time to go frantically looking for Rover's leash. If you misplace the leash or forget it you'll always have a spare.
6. Know where the dog is when you open the hotel room door. If you're in the room but your children or your significant other is outside the room, ask them to open the door slowly and careful and block the opening with their body until they know where the dog is.
There are many great dog friendly hotels. You and your dog can have a great vacation.
Related Tags: hotels, motels, cabins, dog friendly vacations
Get your free ebook, Dog Friendly Vacations. Dee Power is the author of several nonfiction books and the novel "Over Time." She is the proud companion of Rose, the Irish Setter, and Kate the English Springer Spaniel. Read Rose and Kate's blog.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Time I Had a Pet Blue Wasp
A lot of people have pets such as dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, turtles and some even have snakes and
- Why Should You Buy Barking Collars For Dogs?
You love your dog but he always barks and misbehaves. It is very upsetting for owners to have dogs t
- What to Consider Before Adopting a Dog
There may be plenty of occasions in your life when a puppy crosses your path and desperately needs a
- What Do Pet Insurance Policies Cover?
The most basic pet insurance policies simply cover vet bills. More advanced policies can cover every
- Dog Walkers Are They For You
If you own a dog then you will know how important it is to ensure that it is walked often to keep th
- Creating the Right First Aid Kit For Your Dog
Most of us have some type of first aid kit in our homes. They are necessary for those small bumps an
- Deciding to Crate Your Dog For Training
There are several different ways that you may decide to use to train your new dog and they are all v
- What to Know About Diets For Dogs
Weight seems to be a struggle for just about anyone, and that is true in the world of dogs. In fact,
- Dog Training Basics - Important Tips to Remember
Training your dog is important. It's important for his safety, your safety, the safety of your prope
- Don't Go Raising Sheep For Wool Without Reading This!
There are many possible reasons why people choose to raise sheep. Some do it as a means of livelihoo
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Chesapeake Bay Retriever Puppy And Dog Information
The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is not an apartment dog. She needs plenty of room to exercise and havin
- How To Choose The Right Dog Trainer
Choosing a trainer is a very important decision and one that requires a fair amount of research and
- Can Greenies Dog Treats Recover From Death?
A Makeover For Greenies(r) Treats Months after a series of lawsuits and media attention alleged the
- Dog Treats - How to Choose Healthy Treats for Your Dog
Your dog is indeed your best friend and how you feed him or her is very important. Even small items
- How to Choose A Good Dog Trainer
If you find that you are not being successful in training your own dog, or maybe you don't have the
- Dog Breeds and Asthma Sufferers: Are Hypoallergenic Breeds Always Best?
The first important consideration is to understand exactly what hypoallergenic dog breeds are. In sh
- Audubon Bird Feeders
Bird watching is an enjoyable hobby for many of us. We love the antics of the different birds as
- Must Have Accessories For Your Fish Tank
When many individuals think of fish tank accessories, decorations are often the first thing that com
- The Beautifull Hummingbirds
The hummingbirds diet requires nectar as a source of energy and for their protein source small insec
- Clumber Spaniel Puppy And Dog Information
The Clumber Spaniel is an intelligent, calm dog great for apartments as they do not need a great dea