How Children Can Learn To Write Poetry In Six Steps
Teaching children to write poetry can be done if the steps are broken down. Children learn best when it is simple and easily accomplished. Basically all you need to do is show children how to rhyme words and then put them together. Here are 6 methods.
1. Write a list of words. On the board or at home on a piece of paper write a list of words that rhyme. An example would be: try, high, fly, kite, night, fun, run, roam, home, etc. Next, have the children arrange some of the words in a sentence.
2. Recitation. While the students are writing their sentences you can write some of your own and then read them out loud. Hearing words rhyme is different than saying them in your head. Have each of the children do this. There may be giggles which is normal.
3. The Bible. The Bible is the most widely read book in the world. It is written in prose and parts of it are quite beautiful. You can read parts of the Bible a loud and discuss why it is considered poetry. As an exercise you can have the children try to imitate some of the verses.
4. Poems about familiar things. Poetry is an expression of feelings and emotions. Help the kids by getting them to express thoughts and ideas about people and things they are very familiar with. Encourage them to be expressive.
5. Rhyming games. An effective method for teaching kids poetry is to use games. Nursery rhymes are some of the first poetry we hear. You can read some of these to the kids and have them stomp their feet and clap to the rhythmic pattern they hear. Be prepared for some noise but this is very effective.
6. Music. Listen to music and show how lyrics are similar to poetry set to music. This is particularly effective with older kids. Music is a huge part of our lives and many children and teenagers are aspiring musicians and already have favorite music groups.
Writing poetry is a fun activity and the kids will enjoy it. You need to start with simple rhyming schemes so the students can build confidence. You can use the Bible, games and music to further their understanding.
Related Tags: writing, poetry, teaching children, teaching children to write poetry
Get a free e book on parenting by visiting Zacharias Allred's web site about teaching children. You can also click on teaching children to write to read other free articles.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- "my Angel" (joannuszka Slisznuszka)
My angel be not revelation of loveliness on to me for she be possessor of golden mane to surge angel
- A Poem And Phrases On To My Angel
My Sad Angel (Gappeluszka)A poem about the beauty given to my angel by the streak of sadness inside
- Love Poems - 3 Short Steps To Romantic Love
These three love poems illustrate the progressive steps in the growth of a romantic love relationshi
- Homemade Graduation Poems
I seemed to find writing poems at school rather difficult at school. I found I could not think of th
- A Poem For Passover
PALPABLY, YOU ARE IN THIS ROOMPalpably, You are in this room,A presence just as certain as our own,S
- A Mothering Sunday (british Mother's Day) Poem
MOTHERING SUNDAY, MOTHERING SUNDAYMothering Sunday, Mothering Sunday,Oh, what gratitude --Till Monda
- Life's Passing Images
Be they real or imaginary transient scenes by gaze of ours through out time ordained us residing in
- Love Poems
Valentine's Day, the day for celebration of love is eagerly awaited by all of us. Romance is in the
- Current Affairs, Christmas Poet Tom Zart's HOPE TWO BE HOME BY CHRISTMAS World War III
Christmas Poet Tom Zart's HOPE TWO BE HOME BY CHRISTMAS World War III Darling I
- Poems for Melba and Ariseli
Melba Cinnamon Flower A Poem dedicated to a very young woman from Peru based in part on the song "
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Ears Enable Listening
God gave us mouths that shut And ears that remain open This should tell us something Sadly many i
- From Whose House Does the Secret Sound of a Jade Flute Fly?
In a lovely description of heavenly sounds that may captivate the mind, and capture the human soul,
- African American Poetry - The Players, The Times, The Themes, The Struggle!
African American Poetry is a form of literature that is basically an expressive and colorful form of
- Winter's Night War (Iraq ii/1/2007)
Be Ugly, O night's feet in soot!Upon the sands of this time to be! Be short, O winter's night, drow
- No If, Ands, or Buts?
You say, "No ifs, ands, or buts" Yet I have evidence to rebut For what is morally and ethically ri
- In Am The Watcher
I am the WatcherAt times in the thick of events still do I WatchI am an observer though at times
- Money Magnet
Concerning the pain of the past It's time to forget Let go of regret For I shall now arise And b
- Broken Glass
Broken glass Lying on the floor Broken glass It is no more Broken glass Shattered into pie
- Night Over Huancayo (A poem in Spanish and English) Dedicado a Elizabeth Zapata y Michael Cuttone))
Night over Huancayo (In the Plaza de Arms)One can see Shadows lurking, along the streets... A cas
- Figuring It Out
Figuring life out isn't always easy Sometimes it makes me nauseous and queazy As it can be painf