SEO Copy - Plural or Singular Keywords?
e.g. Do I target "tennis shoe" or "tennis shoes"?
To answer this question, the first thing you need to do is find out what your target visitors are actually searching for. If the vast majority are searching for "tennis shoes", then you'd target that, and forget about "tennis shoe".
However, in the real world, things are rarely so black and white. More often than not, the number of searches for each will be similar, and you'll still be left wondering which would be the more effective keyword.
Your next step is to think about why visitors search for one and not the other. It may be that people search for "tennis shoe" when they're researching whether to buy a tennis shoe or a running shoe. On the other hand, people may search for "tennis shoes" when they want to actually buy a pair online. In this case, if you were selling tennis shoes, you'd most likely choose "tennis shoes" as your keyword phrase.
Still no closer to a decision? Maybe you can target both... If the only difference between the singular and the plural is the addition of an "s" or "es" on the end, you can simply target the plural. You'll be targeting the singular in the process. e.g. Target "tennis shoes" and you'll be automatically targeting "tennis shoe" at the same time.
But if your plural is more than the addition of an "s" or "es", never fear. In reality, you can target either and still enjoy a high ranking. Google is smart enough to identify the relationship between plural and singular. It knows that people who search for the plural may still get some value out of sites that target the singular. It's true that - all else being equal - when a user searches for the plural, a site that targets the plural will outrank your site that targets the singular. But you can swing the balance in your favor simply by working harder on the number and quality of your inbound links. e.g. Take, for example, the distinction between "copywriters" and "copywriter". My copywriting website, Divine Write, targets "copywriter", but it still outranks most sites that target "copywriters". That's mostly because I have more inbound links.
Related Tags: copywriting, copywriter, web copy, keyword analysis, seo copy
* Glenn Murray is an SEO copywriter and article submission and article PR specialist. He is a director of article PR company, Article PR, and also of copywriting studio Divine Write. He can be contacted on Sydney +612 4334 6222 or at email@example.com. Visit DivineWrite.com or ArticlePR.com for further details, more FREE articles, or to download his FREE SEO e-book.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- What is the Google PageRank: An Easy to Understand Introduction
THE GOOGLE PAGERANK EXPLAINED SIMPLYA common question amongst website owners is, "How is the G
- 3 Easy Way to Get Edu Baclinks
Education websites are the most trusted websites on the internet and if you've got backlinks on thes
- How to Launch Your Own SEO Company
Having knowledge and experience about search engine optimization doesn't really mean it's goin
- Ethical SEO optimization always pays stable search engine rankings
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Sty
- Five Easy to Make Mistakes That Keep Search Engine Robots Away From Your Website
Search engine robots are very simple software programs. If an indexing robot cannot find the conten
- Generate an Intelligent Set of Link Building Services
Link building can be best defined as the most suitable way of promoting a website, however, at the
- It's Time to Develop Intelligent SEO Content Writing
Creating appropriate, value content is significant for a website to get listed on the search engine
- Does Your Website Have No or the Wrong Sitelinks in Google?
What are Sitelinks? Sitelinks are additional links below the description and the URL of a web page
- Search Engine Optimization and Spam - How Will You Know That?
There is a fine line between proper search engine optimization, and what a search engine will consi
- 9 Steps for Making Money Online
I've outlined a step by step marketing process flow, and more, on how to setup an online Money Mark
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Free Search Engine Optimization Tools on the Internet
As I run across tools and websites that I find particularly useful for software and high tech compan
- SEO Explained
Search engine optimization is part science and part art. How well it is done has a lot to do with t
- SEO - Choosing Blog Fonts and Colors
Part of having a cohesive blog design is to choose one or two fonts and two to four colors and stick
- How "Blog-and-Ping" Can Boost Your PageRank
"Blog and Ping" is a term that refers to a technique where you make a post on your blog, and using y
- Top Ranking SEO Secret
Most web programmers and designers now have a good idea of how to optimize their site using on-site
- Affordable Seo: Where Do I Start To Optimize My Website?
The Starting point is clear. Understand what your main competitors are doing. That is Right! If you
- Off Page SEO: The Importance Of Incoming Links And Search Engine Optimization
Off page SEO: The importance of incoming links and search engine optimization Off page seo an in
- Stop Chasing the Search Engines and Get Better Traffic
Search engines are mysterious and unpredictable. One day you might be on the top of the SERPs and t
- How To Get Search Engine Traffic From Kenya in Africa
Traffic from Kenya and Kenyans via search engines like Google basically means unlimited traffic and
- Why Search Engine Fail
Imagine asking a stranger for directions to a clothing store. Chances are, the stranger will