5 Things You Must Know Before Running A Marathon
2. Running a marathon requires a lifestyle change (sorry, it just does!) If you are serious about running a marathon well it will require three major lifestyle changes, at least for most of us it will.
You need to sort out your nutrition. What I mean is that no serious runner will put junk into their body and expect to perform well. I'm afraid that means MacDonalds and their likes need to be shelved for the duration of training and your intake of fruit and vegetables needs to increase dramatically.
You need to sort out your hydration. Most of us are actually permanently dehydrated through a lack of water. Whilst training for a marathon drink much more water than normal and severely cut back on your alcohol intake. I'm afraid that alcohol is poison to a runner.
You need to rest much more than you used to.
3. Your pre-race preparation can make all the difference between success and failure. The worst thing you can do is just swan up to the start line and start running. It won't be long until you're a dying swan if you do that! Without proper pre-race preparation your race can be over before it begins. Here are a few vital things to get right before the race begins:
Think carefully about what you will wear on the day. Don't wear anything new but only what you've already trained in.
Don't get freaked out by the starting procedure. Give yourself plenty of time and take some warm stuff in case you are held up. A bin bag is always good in case it's cold. Warm up properly so that you don't get any pulled muscles.
4. Get your mind sorted out for the actual race
Prepare your mind. Visualize the course as much as you can.
Visualize finishing and celebrating.
Everyone has negative thoughts. When they occur just push them away and remind yourself of the good training days.
Apply lubricant to areas that will chafe.
As you warm up check that you don't need a last minute toilet break. During the Race .
Do not "race" during the first 20 miles of the marathon. Start slowly!
Do not panic if the pace seems wrong. Many things can happen, it's a long race and there will be plenty of time to make up early slow splits.
If it's windy stay behind other runners and shelter from direct head winds.
Do not race through the water stations. Stop if necessary. Finally, and most important, HAVE FUN!
5. A good after-race strategy is crucial if you want a quick recovery. Many runners find themselves in great pain after a race. So much so that it puts them off ever running another race. Here are a few tips to help you get back to normal living as soon as possible.
Immediately after finishing you should try to keep walking for 5-10 minutes to allow your legs to cool down. If the weather is cold, windy, or wet make an effort to get inside or back into warm clothing. Keep drinking small amounts of water or sports drink if your stomach will allow it, even when you feel you no longer need to. My personal favourite is 'Complete' from the Juice Plus+ organization. www.juiceplus.co.uk/+mm026962
Ice any sore spots immediately.
As soon as you feel like eating, begin with small amounts of easily digestible food that you know will agree with your stomach. Although carbohydrate replacement is vital, protein is important for rebuilding damaged muscle tissue immediately following the race and for the next few days. Drink a lot of water for 48 hours.
Keep your legs elevated as much as possible for the 24 hours after the race. If you found this article at all helpful then please visit my blog which is updated regularly with helpful advice and my own personal take on marathon training and nutrition. Go to http://www.marathontrainingandnutrition.blogspot.com
Related Tags: time, nutrition, london, training, running, marathon, race, newyork
William Milton is a 49 year old married man (27 years) with 2 children and a Jack Russell called Swizzle. He enjoys many sports but is particularly dedicated to running marathons. William lives near London, England.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Don't Be Embarrassed
Watch your StepZone out if you must, but keep your eyes open. 'I ran into a fire hydrant that had an
- What Is The Best Running Apparel?
When you are new to running, you are probably wondering what the best running apparel is. You want t
- Picking The Right Running Shoes For Training
Ready to start running? The first thing you need to do is find the right pair of shoes. If you've ne
- 10 Week Half Marathon Training Programme
No matter whether or not you are preparing to run a marathon for the first time, or looking to step-
- Ten Ways A Runner Can Feel The Burn
DehydrationYou're parched, your mouth is full of cotton balls, and your heart races. Plain and simpl
- Where To Look For Cheap Asics Kayano For Women?
Are you looking for cheap Asics Gel Kayano running shoes for women? You are definitely not the only
- Asics Gel Kayano 15 Womens Running Shoe- Why It's So Popular Among Female Runners
Women's Asics gel kayano 15 are one of the most popular stability running shoes among female runners
- Best Runners Knee Treatment
When you run and at the same time feel a throbbing pain at the front portion of your knee, then you
- Improve Your Speed And Your Chances To Win
One of the key elements that make a successful athlete is high speed. Nine times out of ten, the tea
- Beginners Running Program - Tips And Tricks
Well begun is half done! When you are embarking upon a beginners running program, you may need some
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Shocking Shin Splints
Shin splints - what a descriptive phrase! It conjures up images of a shattered bone loose in your le
- Simple Tips On Training For A Maraton
Running a marathon may seem daunting, but with the right training, 26.2 miles is perfectly doable. E
- How to Run Faster
There is too much emphasis on running pretty nowadays. Coaches spend all of their time talking about
- The Marathon Story
On a sweltering hot day in mid June the Marathon story began. A midlife crisis, heat getting to me,
- American Distance Running Legends
When people prioritize sports in the United States the top three are usually football, basketball an
- Marathon Running and Choosing the Right Footwear
There's a lot of hype today on the importance of quality running shoes and for good reason too if yo
- Winter Running: Survival of The Feet
Many dedicated runners will brave the cold, damp air and dark, slick streets as winter sets in. Runn
- Increase Endurance with Carbs and Fats
A study from The University of Bern in Switzerland shows that a high carbohydrate, high-fat diet f
- Selecting the Right Running Shoe
When buying running shoes there are literally hundreds of shoes to choose from. Running shoes are us
- The Importance of Running Training at Goal Pace
When you are seriously working towards a key race, you are using a focused running program. You do