How to Handle Customer Complaints in Your Cleaning Business
Following are a few key tips to help you effectively manage customer complaints:
1. Listen to your customer. Avoid interrupting them until they've finished speaking. By listening closely you'll be able to determine what it is they want you to do to resolve the problem. And be sure to thank them for bringing it to your attention. You don't want to sound irritated or annoyed by their call, but empathetic and grateful they called so you can solve the problemA complaint can run the gamut from a trash can that wasn't emptied to soap dispensers that weren't filled to poor behavior by employees. Ask questions and make sure you understand the precise nature of the complaint. If need be, visit the job site to see why the customer is unhappy and take care of the problem yourself.
2. Never raise your voice or use profanity when speaking to a customer. If your customer is upset or angry they might raise their voice and even start swearing. Try to calm your customer by saying something like, "We want to do everything we can to make this right. Let's talk about this, and I believe we can fix the problem."
3. Decide what you need to do to solve the problem. After handling the complaint, go back and figure out the cause. Once you know the cause decide on a course of action so the problem does not happen again.
Usually complaints are the result of poor training or differences in expectations. If the problem involves training, then find out who dropped the ball - the employee or the supervisor? Then determine if this is an isolated incident or if your training procedures need reviewing.
Problems that stem from differences in expectations can be tricky. Did the customer not receive a list of cleaning specifications? Were they not clear enough? Did you make promises you failed to keep? If one of these circumstances caused the complaint then perhaps you need to clarify your specifications list or ensure you never make promises you can't keep.
4. Follow up to make sure you or your employees take care of the complaint quickly. If you agree to fix the problem and say you are going to visit the client's building that afternoon, then be there! By following through and fixing the problem quickly, your customer will see that you really do care about their building and their business.
5. To avoid further complaints in the future, be sure that your cleaning customer has a copy of the building specifications - this should specify the exact duties your cleaning company is responsible for. It may also help to leave a customer communications log in the building. Then when the customer has a concern, he or she can write it in the log. One of your cleaning employees should check the log each time they are in the building to see if there are issues they need to resolve. This is very effective, as most buildings are cleaned after hours and direct contact with the cleaning crew is isn't always possible.
No matter how thoroughly you do your job or your employees do their jobs, you will eventually have a complaining customer. Be professional by doing everything you can to make the situation right. This will pay off in long-term relationships with your cleaning customers and will always give your cleaning company a good reputation.
Related Tags: business, cleaning, how, to, in, customer, your, handle, free articles, complaints
Steve Hanson is co-founding member of The Janitorial Store (TM), an online community that offers weekly tips, articles, downloads, discussion forums, and more for anyone who would like to learn how to start a cleaning business. Visit The Janitorial Store's blog and get inspired by reading cleaning success stories from owners of cleaning companies. Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The No. 1 Rule For Projecting Confidence - Speak With Authority
One of the most important characteristics a person can project in a business setting - or any situat
- After the Autumn Checkout European Debt Crisis and U.S. Brewing Rebound
In the commotion caused by the Fed on interest rates come to an end, the "disastrous" for the euro a
- Advantages Of Arcade Game Rentals
There are many different advantages to arcade game rentals. Most people need something to release th
- A General Primer on Truck Cargo Nets
In modern highways it is quite rare to see truck cargo nets in action, this is because they are usua
- The United States Will Burst More Severe Financial Crisis
Not long ago, suddenly announced that the central bank to raise interest rates, the interest rate hi
- Niche Marketing Profits - 3 Easy Steps to Finding a Profitable Niche Market Income in 10 Minutes
Like most beginners I was having a very difficult time trying to find a niche market to earn extra m
- The Importance of Hospitality Management Consulting Firms Toronto
Businesses and the managers that help guide any business are in a constant state of improvement and
- New Keynesian Theory Label
2010 winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics three theories have been labeled as "New Keynesian" labe
- Federal Reserve Pouring Money QE2 Unpredictable Fortune
U.S. economist Milton Friedman proposed a "throw the cash from a helicopter" view, while the practic
- Fiscal Consolidation Should no Longer Delay
British Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne today announced fiscal consolidation policy, shoc
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Common Financial Problems to Avoid
One must first change their habits and not procrastinate. American Consultants Inc at offers key fi
- How a Bad Hire Can Hurt Your Business
What's worse - hiring the wrong person or not hiring anyone at all? Companies can become almost des
- Joel Comm Is Dr. Adsense
What is Adsense? If you are new to making money online and net marketing, you may not know what Ads
- 5 Steps For A Dynamic Wealth System Online
Recipe: Opportunity + knowledge + Dynamic Wealth System + Your Action = Massive Success!!! Step 1
- How To Stop Foreclosure
Losing your house to a foreclosure can be very scary. There are times when circumstances are ou
- How to Always Pitch A Strike
As business owners, we are always working on new ways to convince people to become customers, client
- Membrane Diffuser Solutions for Wastewater Treatment Systems
In the aeration basin of a typical wastewater treatment plant there are both organic and inorganic m
- Another Year Hating Your Job or Loving Life?
Copyright © 2007 Mary Foley I've come to the conclusion that to be successful - really successf
- Dyestuff Industry In India And China
World demand for dyes and organic pigments to touch $10.6 billion in 2008According to a study on dye
- Cma-cgm Case : the Series of Lawsuits Continues in Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, France, England and the United States
Damietta company case : The series of lawsuits continues in Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, France, England a