Laying Down the Advice for Carpet Treatment
Everybody wants their carpet to last for a long time and keep looking good but how long a carpet actually lasts for depends upon both the style of carpet that you pick. Frequently asked questions such as those below can be answered simply by speaking to expert flooring advisors either in a store or via internet flooring specialists.
- Is the carpet going in a room with heavy wear (like the stairs or living room) or light wear (such as a spare bedroom)?
- How many people live in the house?
- Have you any children or pets?
All of these factors will affect how much use the carpet gets and therefore how long it is likely to last. Even the shoes you wear around the home or the amount that you vacuum can affect the life of your carpet. Following are a few handy tips and hints on how to prolong the life of your carpet and treat inevitable spillages and stains.
- Clean the carpet flooring as soon as a stain or a mark appears
- Never Scrub carpets as scrubbing damages the carpet pile, so even if the stain is removed, the carpet will damage and will permanently alter in appearance. Instead, always use a dabbing action or gentle wiping action using absorbent material.
- Use cold water to rinse any spillages out. Heat is used in the dying process to add colour to carpets, if you add hot water to a spill you are actually encouraging the stain to bond permanently with your carpet.
- Soaking your carpet with water may damage the backing. Simply dampen then soak back up with a clean absorbent cloth.
- Never use washing up liquid on your carpet. Detergent stays on the carpet pile and if not rinsed away will gather dirt. (However, if you do use detergent, make sure you rinse the carpet very well.
- There are a number of industry tips and solutions to clean carpets and for the best results a stain should be treated immediately, but always remember to test an inconspicuous piece of carpet prior to giving it a go.
- Inevitably some dirt will accumulate over time and this can cause a carpet to lose its freshness. In such cases I would recommend professional cleaning. Indeed periodic professional cleaning can help prolong the life of your carpet.
Treatment for Individual Stains
- Coffee, tea, red wine, port, sherry, fruit juice and milk
Always soak up the liquid with absorbent tissue, and then dab the area with a clean white cloth, which has been moistened in a solution of diluted carpet shampoo and warm water
Using a blunt knife or a spatula, remove as much solid material as possible. Blot up the residue and treat with a dry cleaning liquid, blotting frequently
Carefully scrape up the solids with a blunt knife, and then treat the stain with a recognised brand of tar remover, following the instructions carefully
Mop up immediately and dab area with a solution of diluted carpet shampoo and one eggcup of white vinegar per pint of solution
Always soak up the liquid with absorbent tissue then dab the area with a clean, white cloth. Moistened with cold water. If the stain has been allowed to dry, dissolve with cold water and continue as before. Bloodstains often return. It is not unusual to remove a bloodstain only to find it re-appears later. Blood has a natural capillary action and therefore in very tight spaces (such as between carpet fibres) is drawn upwards. So whilst the blood on the surface of the carpet may have been removed more blood may be trapped deeper in the pile.
- Animal Accidents
Carefully scrape up the solids with a blunt knife, and then dab the area with a clean white cloth moistened with a solution of diluted carpet shampoo and warm water.
- Paint (Oil Based)
Blot spillage with absorbent tissue, and then clean with white spirit. Dab the area with diluted carpet shampoo followed by clean water. Dab until dry.
- Paint (Emulsion)
Blot excess spillage with absorbent tissue then clean the affected area with cold water. Apply diluted carpet shampoo on a clean white cloth, apply clean water and dab dry.
Carefully scrape off using a blunt knife. Dab the area with a clean white cloth. Moisten in a solution of diluted carpet shampoo and warm water.
- Shoe Polish
Carefully scrape up the solid and clean gently with a dry cleaning fluid. Then use a clean cloth moistened with diluted carpet shampoo to rinse the area
- Chewing Gum
Freeze the gum with a proprietary freezing agent, break up when frozen and remove, repeat as necessary.
An extremely difficult stain. Large marks should be treated professionally. With small marks scrape off the deposit and rub lightly with borax solution - (15ml borax to 500ml water). Stubborn stains can sometimes be helped with a little neat glycerine rubbed into the carpet end and left for about 10 minutes. Sponge out and blot dry.
- Felt-tip Pen
Some felt-tip pens have spirit-based ink, some have water based ink. Methylated spirit on a cotton wool bud will remove spirit-based ink which has a pungent smell. Do not allow it to penetrate into a foam backing.
Remember that Methylated spirit may stain a light coloured carpet.
For water-based ink, use a carpet shampoo.
- Ball Point Pen
Speedy action is essential. Dab with methylated spirit on a cotton wool bud. Take care not to spread the stain. On vinyl upholstery or wall coverings, immediately scrub with a nailbrush and warm soapy water (the ink will cause a permanent mark if left)
- Nail Varnish
Spoon up deposit, avoid spreading the stain. Moisten a pad of cotton wool with amyl acetate or acetone 9 non-oily nail varnish remover) and dab onto the affected area. Use only in a well ventilated area
Related Tags: carpet, flooring, carpet cleaning, carpets, carpet cleaner, carpet treatment, carpet care
Rami Nseir is a consultant for UK Carpets Direct, part of the Storey Carpets Group voted "Britain's Best Carpet & Flooring Retailer" for the fourth consecutive year.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Lawn Mowers Electric Vs Petrol - Which Is Better?
When searching for the perfect lawn mower, many homeowners find themselves wondering which kind is b
- Popular Types Of Mattresses
It is needless to describe the utility of mattresses for having a sound night's sleep; bed mattresse
- Furniture Sofa Legs - Making The Old Sofa New Again
Home decorators get excited when confronted with an old sofa with a lot of potential. For those who
- Finding The Right Granite For Your Home
The massive amount of options that are available can make choosing the right granite countertop for
- The Truth About Black Mold Toxicity
The term "toxic mold" is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce t
- Bunk Beds For Older Individuals - Are They Genuinely Worthwhile Acquiring?
Typically people think it a little random when adults get to sleep in loft beds. Nonetheless, in the
- Kitchen Countertop Ideas: Ceramic And Granite
Ceramic tiles for kitchen countertops have become a must have in home buyers' kitchens.Whether you p
- Why Front Door Security Is Important
It is an important aspect to realize the fact that even by having a fully fledged home security syst
- Use Fire Seals On Fire Doors And Save Lives
Basically, a fire door is designed to save lives. This is the reason why there is such a big require
- The Importance Of Front Door Security
The importance of your home's security hinges upon your door's quality and the lock system. For that
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Learn About The Basics of Basement Dehumidifier
Ever wonder how people keep their basement dry? Let me tell you a little secret. With proper air con
- Cable Lock Foundation Repair
Foundation repairs are the most expensive, and sometimes the hardest type of damage to detect. This
- What's Covering Your Windows?
At one time, curtain rods were used for only one purpose – hanging curtains. Today they are mu
- Wooden Railings and Their Many Uses
Wooden railings remain one of the most common types of railings throughout the country. They not onl
- Feng Shui To Greater Luck In This New Year
There are at least six ways to learn Feng Shui Luck. First you must learn and understand the very b
- Adding A Pleasant Marble Coffee Table To Your Home
Usually, the couch or entertainment center get most of the attention in one's house, but there is no
- Scroll Saw Basics
Scroll Saw Basics by Lee Bowman If you are wanting to try your hand at scroll work, a
- How To Clean Wood Furniture
A room full of beautiful wood furniture brings warmth and elegance to any room, however, it's inevit
- Welding And Metalwork: Strength And Function, Part 2
Metalwork is the art of making various objects out of metal. Most metalworkers are also called machi
- The Bahamas Hurricane Shutter
Every year, hurricanes are formed in the ocean and wreak havoc when reaching land. This usually occu