The Definition of Spam - Do You Know What spam eMail Really is?
Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.
A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.
- Unsolicited Email is normal email
(examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries)
- Bulk Email is normal email
(examples: subscriber newsletters, customer communications, discussion lists)
Technical Definition of Spam
An electronic message is "spam" IF:
(1) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients;
(2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent.
Spam is an issue about consent, not content. Whether the UBE message is an advert, a scam, porn, a begging letter or an offer of a free lunch, the content is irrelevant - if the message was sent unsolicited and in bulk then the message is spam.
Spam is not a sub-set of UBE, it is not "UBE that is also a scam or that doesn't contain an unsubscribe link", all email sent unsolicited and in bulk is Spam.
This distinction is important because legislators spend inordinate amounts of time attempting to regulate the content of spam messages, and in doing so come up against free speech issues, without realizing that the spam issue is solely about the delivery method.
Important facts relating to this definition:
(1) the sending of Unsolicited Bulk Email ("UBE") is banned by the vast majority of Internet service providers worldwide.
(2) Spamhaus' anti-spam blocklist, used by more than 260 million Internet users to reject emails identified as spam, is based on the internationally-accepted definition of Spam as "Unsolicited Bulk Email". Therefore anyone sending UBE on the Internet, whether the content is commercial or not, illegal or not, needs to be fully aware that (1) they will lose their Internet access if they send UBE, (2) they will be placed on the Spamhaus Block List (SBL) if they send UBE.
Various jurisdictions have implemented legislation to control what they call "spam". One particular example is US S.877 (CANSPAM 2004). Each law addresses "spam" in different ways, and as a consequence, often has different definitions of what they cover, whether they call it "spam" or not. Spamhaus uses the industry standard "unsolicited bulk email" definition which underlines "it's not about content, it's about consent". As such, arguments as to whether UBE messages are covered under CANSPAM or are compliant with CANSPAM, are entirely irrelevant.
Other Reference Documents
Webster's Dictionary: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spam
Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS): http://www.mail-abuse.com/spam_def.html
Crynwr.com Spam Definition Document: http://www.crynwr.com/spam/definition.html
Other articles on the definition of "Spam": http://www.google.com/definition+of+spam
Related Tags: online business, spam, email, spamming, outlook, phishing, bulk email, address book, spammers, inbox
Maurice S Clarke is founder of the wearable goods trading web site www.whatweusedtowear.com and lives in Rugby, UK. This article may be freely republished provided it remains intact.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- How An Email Spam Blocker Will Save You Time And Effort
Electronic mail is a fantastic innovation, but for millions of people it has become something very i
- The Dreaded Issue Of Spam
All about SpamSpam is the scourge of the Internet. Spam, as everyone knows, is the unsolicited adver
- Most Spam Comes From Us, Romania And Brazil
At the end of the first quarter of 2009, Romania was placed in the top three sources of spam, with a
- Affiliate Fraud- Is It Worth It?
If you're into affiliate marketing it is important to know what affiliate fraud is.Affiliate fraud h
- Your Home Computer Will be Safe and Secured if You Follow These Steps
As a home computer user, you need to make sure that your computer is safe from any form of maliciou
- Spam Mail
Spam Mail: An overviewHow Does A Spam Mail Overflow Initiates?Each day more and more neophytes to th
- Spams and Their Filtering Techniques
We are all familiar with word Spam. This is something we encounter almost on a daily basis in our m
- Anti-Spam Software: The Importance Of Anti-Spam Software
You may have have found yourself in the following position. You open your email program, get up to
- Anti Spam filtering: Do You Use Anti Spam Filtering?
Spam email can be stopped or controlled by using a spam filter. Email filtering software can be ins
- Nigerian Scams-they're Still Around
It's not easy to make money on the Internet. And that is what some - not to honorable people- try to
Most viewed articles in this category:
- How To Be More Specific In Blocking Spam
Spam is often thought to be such a difficult subject. But actually, it is not as difficult to compre
- The REAL Origins and Meaning of the Word SPAM
There's a lot of false information out there about why we refer to mass unsolicited commercial maili
- Who are Spammers
Most of us receive spam at one time or another. A spammer is someone who sends unsolicited e-mails i
- How Web Sites Can Generate Spam Email
Every day tens of thousands of new web sites come online, many attracting big audiences, often due t
- Why a Blocked List of Email Addresses is Useless
Do you maintain a list of blocked email addresses in your email system?This is one of the biggest wa
- How to Manage Your Email Inbox More Effectively
Your inbox is the nerve centre to your incoming email, but all too often is clogged up with dozens o
- How to Prevent Email Spam
You should have heard much about spam. What exactly spam is? I define spam as something unrequested.
- What Should We Do About Spam?
I receive over 50 emails per day. Usually, close to 45 of them are spam. For the uninitiated, unso
- Spam, Lovely Spam, Wonderful Spam
Do you remember the quote from the Monty Python sketch in 1970. Spam is nowadays mostly known to be
- I Get No Spam, And Cannot See What All The Fuss Is About!
When you talk to friends and work colleagues about email, the internet and spam some may brag they g