Health Consumer Current Affairs How Drug Research Is Distorted
Do you think that the drug research done by pharmaceutical companies is honest? Think again. The Guardian newspaper recently reported on many systematic reviews which demonstrate that pharmaceutical industry studies show positive results far more often than those funded by independent sources. Coincidence? They just happen to get more of the results that they want? Not Likely.
It is also unlikely that drug companies directly tamper with clinical drug trials in any criminal way. They aren't likely to change the reported results afterwards either. This kind of dishonesty is probably very rare in drug research, because it isn't necessary. There are more subtle ways to get the results you want.
First, a company can design a study in a biased way. For example, even if a study is theoretically double-blind, a company could create procedures which let doctors administering a new pharmaceutical know who is getting it, versus who is getting a placebo. The expectation of doctors that a patients condition will improve has been shown to result in more reported improvement. This obviously could bias the results. This is a fairly crude manipulation, but there are certainly other ways to design a study to increase the chance of positive results.
By far, the most common way to manipulate the results of drug research, is to selectively report those results. Recent investigations show that this is common. Negative data is often hidden or thrown out.
To understand why this matters, consider a simple example. A new drug is given to ten groups of people who share a given disease or condition. On average, it appears to help the people in five of the groups , but the subjects in the other five groups have no improvement or get worse. This is common, since people get better or worse for many reasons, and this is why many trials are necessary to be statistically significant.
Now suppose, in this case, the company decided that only the five trials with positive results are important enough to report, and they quietly get rid of the data from the other five. Now, a drug that has no real benefit appears to have helped in every research trial - every one that the rest of the world hears about anyhow. This is bad science, of course, and unfortunately is just one of the ways that pharmaceutical companies play with data.
By the way, scientists have been recommending a simple and inexpensive solution to this problem for decades: a compulsory international trials register. In order to use the results of any drug research trials to get a new pharmaceutical approved, a company would have to register the trial before it begins. In this way trials that don't give the result wanted can't just disappear.
Not surprisingly, the drug companies are against this simple idea. It doesn't allow them as much control over the "truth." As a result, we can expect dishonest drug research to continue.
Copyright Steve Gillman. Want to know a secret? How about hundreds of the best kept secrets - powerful knowledge few people know? Get a free subscription to the 99 Lies Newsletter, at http://www.99lies.com
Related Tags: pharmaceuticals, drug research, drug trials
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Current Affairs Articles - How to Get on Google's Major 10 Record
A issue I generally asked by new customers is why some internet sites rank larger on Yahoo than othe
- Christianity Articles - Prophets are not God's PR men - Evangelism is not cheerleading
Andy Warhol may have been slightly off when he said everyone is allowed their fifteen minutes of fam
- Internet Articles - Web of Intent
It has been a while since I have written a general interest piece and my reasons for not doing so
- Christianity Articles - Ways to Proceed with Hope
Onward and upward in the new decade From Paul's letter to the Philippians Chapter 3 verses 12
- Advice Articles - Activate your gifts in the new decade
In Two Timothy Chapter 1 verse 5 through 7 read as follows from the NIV version of the Bible: 5
- Current Affairs Articles - Shopping For A Great MP3 Or MP4 Player
Electronics wholesalers carry are so numerous, and sometimes the techie mumbo jumbo used to describe
- Entertainment Articles - Bachelorette Party New York
If you are planning a bachelorette party New York style in the months of December thru the month of
- Real Estate Articles - Where Are Real Estate Values Going Now?
At the moment (late 2009), it seems that real estate values may have stopped falling finally. Are th
- Food & Beverages Articles - India has emerged as one of the fastest growing markets for wine on the global map
Indian Wine Industry Forecast to 2012 report ( http://www.bharatbook.com/Market-Research-Reports/Ind
- Christianity Articles - The Three Rs of Prophetic Warning - Old Time Stuff that still Works Today
Due to the emphasis on the R sound (phoneme) in reading, writing and arithmetic early American pione
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Men and Women of Lost
Maybe you've never seen the excellent television series Lost, or maybe you've only recently become h
- Why Universal Health Care Could be a Conservative Republican's Dream
Republicans, conservative Republicans in particular, have been notoriously resistant to the idea of
- Christian Spiritual Current Affairs Hitchens is not Great: The Poison of Pride
In the sixties one of the more hackneyed slogans of the time was from Friedrich Nietzsche's Joyo
- Finance & Investment Investment Current Affairs Investment Politics 2008: What's (left) In Your Wallet?
The parade of promises is marching down Main Street. For too many months to come, politicians
- Christian Spiritual Current Affairs U.S. and EU Strengthen Ties - Prophecy Train Tops the Grade
With nearly every major facet of second coming prophecy falling into place in the last forty yea
- Christian Blogs Current Affairs Christophobes - The New American Bullies
Phobias are fears. The list of phobias in American culture is growing by leaps and bounds. Chris
- Christian Entertainment Current Affairs Spiderman and other Hollywood Heroes Save America from Repression
The "Marxism" America withstood at its front door for sixty years has donned a new costume and n
- Education Family & Parenting Current Affairs Choices In Education
Choices in Education Today it seems more and more like mainstream education is invol
- Free Article Taking Care Of Dubai's Heritage
Late president of the UAE, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, once famously said, "a country tha
- Fashion & Cosmetics Consumer Current Affairs Men in Sheepskin Boots
Back to www.lfaboots.comSince the ugg phenomena hit the UK I have been wearing sheepskin boots