What is a Hot Surface Igniter?
1. A call for heat is created by the thermostat.
2. The small fan (induced draft motor) will start.
3. The inducer activates a switch.
4. Voltage is applied to a piece of black glass (it actually looks like a piece of charcoal) that glows red hot.
5. The gas valve opens and the burners light.
6. Within less then a minute the blower or fan should start to turn sending warm air in to the home.
The hot surface igniter is as I have already indicated a piece f black glass. When voltage is applied to it, it glows red hot. When the hot surface igniter stops working it is immediate and with out previous warning it simply will not work. It is sometimes hard to locate the igniter. It may be right in the open or tucked behind a shield. What you will not be able to see easily will be the very small crack that breaks the plane of the igniter and stops it from getting red hot.
This is by far one of the easiest parts to replace. You can usually get the part from an appliance parts store or a heating and air conditioning parts supply house. There are usually just a couple of screws to take out and the igniter is typically plugged in.
Simply remove the igniter and take it to the parts house and get a new one. The most important thing to remember, besides making sure you turn off the power to the heater, is do not touch the glass part of the igniter at all. You will break it. Even if it does not break right a way the oils from your skin will get on it and after a couple of ignitions the oils will boil causing the glass to crack again.
One other item that should be red flag to a bigger problem, that would require a service technician, would be, if when you call for heat from the thermostat, this is depending on the type of heater you have, that the inducer motor does not start up. Or the inducer fan does start but the igniter never gets red hot, this may be because the fan can not trip the switch either due to a bad switch or the small hose that runs from the fan shroud to the switch is bad or disconnected. You can replace the hose or reconnect it. You could even replace the switch. At some point however you are going to have to decide if this over your head. Once you have determined that, then you should call a service technician.
Related Tags: repair, home, heater, home repair, home maintenance, igniter, hot surface ignitor
Whether you are a new home owner or long time owner you can find this tip and many others to help you do your own home maintenance and repairs. At least when you hire some one you will have good information about what they are supposed to be doing. http://www.homemaintenance.getaliving.netYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Lawn Mowers Electric Vs Petrol - Which Is Better?
When searching for the perfect lawn mower, many homeowners find themselves wondering which kind is b
- Popular Types Of Mattresses
It is needless to describe the utility of mattresses for having a sound night's sleep; bed mattresse
- Furniture Sofa Legs - Making The Old Sofa New Again
Home decorators get excited when confronted with an old sofa with a lot of potential. For those who
- Finding The Right Granite For Your Home
The massive amount of options that are available can make choosing the right granite countertop for
- The Truth About Black Mold Toxicity
The term "toxic mold" is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce t
- Bunk Beds For Older Individuals - Are They Genuinely Worthwhile Acquiring?
Typically people think it a little random when adults get to sleep in loft beds. Nonetheless, in the
- Kitchen Countertop Ideas: Ceramic And Granite
Ceramic tiles for kitchen countertops have become a must have in home buyers' kitchens.Whether you p
- Why Front Door Security Is Important
It is an important aspect to realize the fact that even by having a fully fledged home security syst
- Use Fire Seals On Fire Doors And Save Lives
Basically, a fire door is designed to save lives. This is the reason why there is such a big require
- The Importance Of Front Door Security
The importance of your home's security hinges upon your door's quality and the lock system. For that
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Learn About The Basics of Basement Dehumidifier
Ever wonder how people keep their basement dry? Let me tell you a little secret. With proper air con
- Cable Lock Foundation Repair
Foundation repairs are the most expensive, and sometimes the hardest type of damage to detect. This
- What's Covering Your Windows?
At one time, curtain rods were used for only one purpose – hanging curtains. Today they are mu
- Wooden Railings and Their Many Uses
Wooden railings remain one of the most common types of railings throughout the country. They not onl
- Feng Shui To Greater Luck In This New Year
There are at least six ways to learn Feng Shui Luck. First you must learn and understand the very b
- Adding A Pleasant Marble Coffee Table To Your Home
Usually, the couch or entertainment center get most of the attention in one's house, but there is no
- Scroll Saw Basics
Scroll Saw Basics by Lee Bowman If you are wanting to try your hand at scroll work, a
- How To Clean Wood Furniture
A room full of beautiful wood furniture brings warmth and elegance to any room, however, it's inevit
- Welding And Metalwork: Strength And Function, Part 2
Metalwork is the art of making various objects out of metal. Most metalworkers are also called machi
- The Bahamas Hurricane Shutter
Every year, hurricanes are formed in the ocean and wreak havoc when reaching land. This usually occu