Do you have visions of being placed on hold, waiting for someone else to come on the line, repeating what you just said, and then hearing one more time, "Let me transfer your call?" Feelings of frustration set in and your confidence in the company you dialed begins to diminish. It's a game of musical phones played to a tune that no one enjoys.
If you don't like being transferred from person to person over the phone, your customers don't care for it either. There are a number of ways to transfer callers without creating more problems along the way.
Listen to the caller's issue. Even if you think you know immediately what people want and who can help them, hear them out. Don't interrupt. You could learn something that will change your mind about how to handle the call.
Avoid saying the word "transfer." Tell people that you need to "send" their call to another department or employee. Offer to "connect" them or "put them through" to someone else. Using a different term can save your callers undue anxiety and fellow employees from having to deal with edgy customers.
Check to be sure that the person to whom you are sending the call is actually available. Your customer will not be happy if the call unexpectedly goes through to a voice mailbox. If you know that the person who can help is not in, ask before transferring callers to voice mail. They may prefer another route.
Verify that you have the right person before connecting the call. If you aren't certain, ask the caller to wait while you check. Tell callers why you need to transfer them.
Give your caller the name and the direct number of the person to whom you are directing the call. That way, if there is a disconnect, your customer knows whom to ask for when they call back. If you have the ability to stay on the line and make an introduction, that is all the better.
If you want to provide customer service that will delight your callers, offer your name and phone number and invite people to call you back if their needs are not met or their questions are not answered. Thoughtfully and carefully transferring calls reflects positively on your entire organization and will eliminate musical phones.
(c) 2006, Lydia Ramsey. All rights reserved. Reprint rights granted so long as article and by-line are published intact and with all links made live.
Lydia Ramsey is a business etiquette expert, professional speaker, corporate trainer and author of MANNERS THAT SELL - ADDING THE POLISH THAT BUILDS PROFITS. She has been quoted or featured in The New York Times, Investors' Business Daily, Entrepreneur, Inc., Real Simple and Woman's Day. For more information about her programs, products and services, e-mail her at email@example.com or visit her web site http://www.mannersthatsell.com
© 2005, Lydia Ramsey. All rights in all media reserved.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Telecommuting Articles - Global Mobile Application Market (2010-2015)
Global Mobile Application Market (2010-2015) The success of Apple's Application Store has not o
- Telecommuting Articles - Mobile Phones Deals :The Other Name of Pleasurable Life
Mobile phones are the best part of out life. Today, we not even use them as a device for communicati
- Communication Articles - Nokia Phones Contract - With Quality, Style and Trust
It is well known that the Nokia is a brand that has got a very special place among the mobile phone
- Communication Articles - HTC PayG Phones - The Mixture of Freedom and Great Services
HTC is a well known brand in the mobile phone manufacturing world. With each new launch this company
- Telecommuting Articles - LG phones -Attracts You With Amazing Features
To sustain in this competitive world LG is one of those brands which have totally amazed the mobile
- Communication Articles - Mobile Phone Insurance Timely Protection against Theft, Loss other such damage to your handset
Most of us, let us acknowledge, are scatter-brained and at least, slightly disorganized, to say the
- Communication Articles - Pay as you go mobile phones- an affordable deal
Pay as you go deal is one of those plans which have become so famous these days among every class of
- Consumer Articles - Freedom of communication with Pay monthly mobile phone deals
The mobile phones have come of age with the advance mobile handsets. The current Mobile Phone
- Communication Articles - Nokia Phones Leading the Way to the Future of Mobile Communication
Nokia has just got on its website the 'The Way We Live Podcast' under its technology section. The su
- Communication Articles - Mobile Recycling - Get Materialistic and Moral Benefits Together
It is a well-known fact that people have a lot of craze to buy new handsets in the present scenario.
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Tips for Getting the Best Mobile Phone Deal
Mobile phones have become a means of communication in the car, at work, on vacation or anywhere else
- Latest VoIP News - How to Encrypt Your Conversations
Much press has been received in relation to security concerns regarding VoIP conversations in additi
- Ringtones Symbolise Uniqueness
Ringtones are sounds that your mobile phone makes when you receive a telephone call. There are loads
- Mobile phones - an integral part of our daily lives!
Mobile phones have become a part and parcel of our lives; the day-to-day existence of many among us
- WHY IS EVERYONE ON ABOUT XML?
In the traditional world, a telephone handset was a telephone handset. In the new world of IP, what
- GPS Systems and How They Work
The GPS system utilizes satellites that have been put into orbit that help people determine their ex
- Security/Privacy for Home VoIP - Don't Just Think VoIP
Much disussion has centred around the security and privacy aspects of VoIP as well as significant is
- Voip - Up To Date Comparison of Skype vs Vonage
You have read about VoIP and wish to utilize the service either to get free calls to friends also us
- Mobile phones and their Multiple Uses!!
A great way of staying connected even if you are far away is mobile phones. They provide the users w
- Get Rid of Your Cell Phone Contract Without Penalty !
Get Rid of Your Cell Phone Contract Without Penalty ! by James HooperHave you ever been so fru