Comparing Binding Machine Punches Based on Punching Capacity
Some of the most common questions that we receive about punches are about the punching capacities of the different binding machines that we offer. Punching capacity can be a very useful tool to compare the various punches, but it can also be very misleading. When evaluating punching capacity, it is important to take into consideration a few key points:
- When evaluating a manual binding machine that has a high stated capacity, such as 20 or more pages per punch, it is also important to consider the manual effort that it takes to pull the lever to punch the stack of paper. The punch may be capable, but that does not mean that it will be easy to punch that many pages! A longer handle makes it much easier to punch through greater amounts of paper, but it is still a manual process.
- What style of punching are you doing? 3-hole punching has the highest capacity while 5:1 coil is the lowest. This is due to the large number of holes and how close together they are. All machines will vary based on the style of punching that you need. Coil binding systems and wire binding systems will always punch less than plastic comb and Velobind.
- The goal of punching a page is to cut a hole in the page, keeping its appearance and durability. When punching a large number of pages, you are actually pushing paper through paper-not cutting paper. The result is that the pages are stuck or "riveted" together and need to be separated. In addition, when punching a coil or wire pattern with several small holes that are close together, the paper strength is degraded between the holes. The result is that the pages could easily tear out of the book.
- Over-punching has a negative effect on your punch as well. Even though the motors are strong enough to handle the punch, it still has greater wear and tear on your system. Die sets (which are the actual punching pins) will probably be the first to give out; you will notice rougher edges on your punches and hanging chads left on the back of you pages.
- Clear covers should be punched in pairs only! Punching a stack of plastic covers is one of the easiest ways to break your punch. Punch them in sets of two or punch them collated in with your document. Another great option is to get prepunched clear covers, and eliminate the wear and tear on your machine all together.
- When punching for production, we have found that our highest volume users consistently grab the same amount of pages for every punch-regardless of punching style. You will find that you will faster in the long run if you train your self to take 15 to 20 sheets per lift. Should you always try to punch the maximum, you will find that you will abuse your system, mispunch pages due to over stuffing the punch slot, and be continuously adding or deleting pages from your punch lift. Grab a consistent stack of 15 to 20 sheets, and your punch will always be clean and consistent and you will get a much longer life from your punch and die sets.
Related Tags: binding machines, manual binding machine, velobind, coil binding system, wire binding system
Jeff McRitchie is the designer and Director of Marketing for MyBinding.com. He has written over 100 articles on binding machines, laminators, laminating supplies and more.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Writing Articles - Write Your Church History Book
Compiling a history of your church into a book can be a great way to raise funds, as well as being a
- Art and Culture Articles - Glamourous Ideas for Great Sexy Holiday Gifts
Giving the gift of a tastefully sexy calendar or glamour photo album of yourself to your loved one i
- Self-publishing is the New Black
Writer's scour around for the perfect ending to their story and sometimes beat around the bush beca
- Get Published: Secrets of the New York Publishing World
Every writer dreams of attracting a lucrative contract from a major New York publishing company. An
- Author of Self Published Book Proposes Guiding Principles for President-elect Obama
Guiding principles for the Obama administration are proposed by book author Edward C. Mendler in Po
- Beware of the Publishing Company Scams
Publish America is one of the publishing companies out of state that promises to fulfill your dream
- About The Maidenhead Locator System
This is not a special system that helps you locate Maidenhead. It is in fact is a scheme used by am
- The Publishing Industry and What You Need To Know
Ten years ago the publishing industry was a very different sphere than it is today. Now however the
- As Content Migrates Online How Does This Effect ADHDvertising?
The tectonic plates of advertising are shifting. With the migration of most traditional media from
- Spirit of Mumbai
City of dream never stops amaizing me,The only city where you do not know your neighbour of 10 year
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Writing Process: One size does not fit all
Developing an individual writing process is a key part of becoming a real writer. If you w
- Many ideas will get you nowhere
You have been in front of the computer trying to go over the details on your mind for a long time an
- What Comprises a Good Graphic Design?
They often mistakenly imply the true essence of having a good graphic design. For some, they may thi
- What You Should Know About Postcards
Here are some of the salient facts about postcard printing and mailing: 1. Repeat postcard mailing i
- How to Find a Brochure Printer
In this day and age what matters most for every business is how to keep pace with the competition in
- Teasing Colors in Printing Services
It sends excitement and thrill that generates more appetite to stare longer and be charmed. Am
- PS - The Wonders of Full-Color Printing
Color printing is everywhere and we see it everyday in our daily lives. Full color printing is the m
- Are you cliche crazy?
Design annuals and guidebooks are written and made available to act as inspiration for those who wan
- How to Choose the Best Title for Your Self Published Book
Authors, self publishers and book publishers often spend a lot of time thinking over possible titles
- Printing halftone is all about printing dots
The point in having halftone is to have something to fool the eyes. The tones that people usually ad