Career Motivation Advice A Dozen Tips for Staying Motivated in Your Job Search
2. Look forward, not backward: Every minute you spend thinking about your past job is a minute robbed from your future. And anyway, your previous employer is no longer paying you for thinking about them; you're giving them free consulting time.
3. Focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. It is human nature to spend more time thinking about your weaknesses than your strengths, but getting a job and being successful in a career depends more on your strengths than your weaknesses.
4. Turn your goal into a vision. The goal of "getting a job" isn't enough. See in your minds eye the job you want, in detail.
5. Over prepare. Practice interviewing, get input on your résumé, get appropriate job search and career counseling and help. Remember, "good enough" isn't good enough.
6. Network, network, network. About 70% of jobs are obtained through some form of personal contact (such as personal networking and utilizing recruiters). Less than 10% of jobs are obtained through the Internet; so why spend 95% of your time on the Internet?
7. Make your job search strategy specific. Make a specific schedule listing your resources, actions, problems, solutions, expected results, and deadlines.
8. Attack your own excuses. We all have excuses for why we're not making the calls we need to make, or writing the letters we need to write. For example, don't pamper yourself into thinking that you can make a job search call only when you're "in the mood."
9. Never give up. Getting a job is a numbers game; the more potential employers you get in front of, the better your chances not only of getting a job, but getting the kind of job you want.
10. Maintain your professionalism. Being a professional is not a function of how you are treated by others or whether they recognize your skills. Being a professional happens when you behave like a professional. And the most important time to behave like a professional is when you are NOT being treated like one.
11. Write your résumé and cover letter for a skimmer, not a reader. Everyone knows that, but then everyone tries to make everything stand out in a resume. Can't be done! You have to be ruthless in deciding what is most important, and put that first. It will help your motivation.
12. Focus on your bottom-line value to the company. Sure, everyone talks about their experience and their skills, but companies hire because they need someone to help them solve their problems and achieve their goals. That's what to focus on.
Related Tags: tips, job search, career, job, motivation, network, goal, confidence, excuses, staying motivated, résumé
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Resurgence of Fred Perry Clothing
Summer might long be over and Wimbledon may be a distant memory, however the fashion is a year round
- Uncovering Men's Tank Tops
I don't know a thing about you, but I'll bet that you have worn a tank top. Tank tops have also been
- Make Use of Silk Scarves to Take Good Care of Your Skin
In the event you are new about silk scarves, you could never read about this particular feature of s
- Just For Men Scarves - the Preference For Guys in the Vogue Domain
If you are not certain what style of present you could provide for men, maybe you can consider men s
- Think Black Friday Shopping is Beyond Your Budget?
Moms who are juggling the bills and still trying to provide the perfect holiday gift to loved ones a
- How to Make Conscious Shopping Choices
Many people have heard the phrase "voting with your dollars" and they understand that it means your
- Silk Scarves - Unique Present Approach in Xmas Seasons
The most prevalent silk add-on is scarves, and many focus is presented on inspired designing on thes
- Benefits of an Aloe Vera Shampoo
A lot of people are not aware of the specific benefits that using an aloe vera shampoo can do to the
- How Effective is the Power of Your Subconscious Mind?
Most people are bombarded with this thought whenever they feel weak and wish to affect certain chang
- Silk Scarf - the Record For Human Being in the Style History
Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries the worldwide recognition of silk scarves developed dramatica
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Surf and Turf: the Race Track
Surf and Turf: The Race TrackOne of the favorite places for The G to hang out at, especially in Summ
- Are You Looking For Cholesterol Drugs Without Side Effect?
High cholesterol level is probably one of the widely spread complication among Americans. Almost for
- Friday the 13th could be a lucky day?
Friday the 13th sounds unlucky ? Traditional superstition ? And a lot of people dislike it and beli
- Don't Judge A Man
Our world is full of bad tongues, fault-finders, gossipers, mockers, and insulters but do these grou
- When Personalized Gifts Make a Difference
Finding the right gifts for a particular occasion is always a challenging task. Sometimes it is nic
- Managing My Resistance: Learning To Flow With What Life Offers
One of the things that interests me most about conflict is the tendency to resist it and the ways in
- What Are Horoscopes Based On?
If you do not know much about astrology, you may wonder what are horoscopes based on and how astrolo
- 7 Dumbest Relationship Mistakes Smart People Make
We often find ourselves amid the wreckage of a love gone wrong, wringing our hands and asking, "Why
- Motivation as the heart of self improvement
You should be able to find several indispensable facts about Motivation in the following paragraphs
- Is Complete Abstinence from Use of Paychoactive Substances Necessary for Recovery?
Can a sober alcoholic in recovery who has no history of abuse of marijuana, use marijuana without