Six Ideas for Finding Your Maternity Swimwear
If you plan on doing any swimming while pregnant or going to beach vacation destinations, one item you will need for sure is a maternity swimsuit. Although you may be able to get away with some non-maternity clothes such as empire tops or even squeeze into your husbands jeans for your regular wardrobe, you certainly don't want to try and fit into your pre-pregnancy bathing suit or even think of wearing your husband's swimwear! Here are a few tips to keep in mind when shopping for a maternity swimsuit:
1) If you are buying your maternity swimsuit early in your pregnancy, then buy a little bigger than you need. Although you don't want your suit to fall off or sag in the water and you certainly do want bust support, just remember that a tight fit will only get tighter as you progress in your pregnancy.
2) Buy a maternity swimsuit with plenty of stretch - especially where you need it in the belly, bust and hips. A lot of women forget that their bust size will increase, so you need a suit that will have enough room and support in the bust. Also, look for suits, such as styles by Prego Maternity, that are 20% Lycra, which will allow the maximum stretch.
3) If you are bigger in the hips, look for side tie options. Many women are not the same size from top to bottom, so if this is the case with your pregnancy figure, look for a suit with adjustable side ties for the hips. Many Hipkinis and Tankinis have this option for the bottom bikini.
4) If you plan on doing serious lap swimming, buy a one piece suit. Although strapless minis and cute babydoll suits can look great on the beach, these are not the best suits to wear in the pool for lap swimming. The Empire Tank by Prego Maternity is a super supportive and slick one piece suit that is a great option for lap swimming or water aerobics. Many women who plan on spending a lot of time at the pool or beach buy two suits - one for fashion and one for real swimming.
5) If you are bigger in the bust, make sure you get a suit with adequate bust support. Look for suits that have wider shoulder straps that are adjustable. Suits that come up higher in the back or even have an added bra-like clip support in the back, will give you more support in the bust. If you already are bigger in the bust, remember that you may increase up to a full cup size or more when pregnant. Also, look for suits that have some slight padding in the bust that will give you smoother shape and not show through when wet.
6) Don't forget about swimsuit accessories. Maternity swimsuit cover-ups are an easy item to throw on over your maternity swimsuit when going to and from the beach and pool and can even double as great loungewear. Maternal America makes a number of great style swimsuit cover-ups and tunics as well as Board Shorts that can be worn over Bikini Bottoms. BelaBumBum makes some really stylish bikinis too.
Finally, don't forget to try on your suit before you grab it for a vacation. Your pregnancy body changes at a rapid rate, so a suit that fit you perfectly 2 months ago, may suddenly be too small for you when you arrive at your vacation destination. Also allow enough time to shop for a maternity swimsuit before a trip because many maternity stores do not stock maternity swimsuits year round and it may take over a week to get one shipped to you when buying online. Also, you want to make sure you like your purchase when buying online, so allow time in case you need to exchange for another style or size.
Most of all do not let the task of maternity swimsuit shopping keep you from the pool or beach. Once you find the suit that is perfect for your body and style, you will feel confident wearing it. Enjoy the water!
Related Tags: women, pregnancy, pregnant, maternity fashion, maternity clothes, maternity swimwear, maternity swimsuits, prego maternity, maternity tankini, maternity bathing suit
Amy is owner of TummyStyle.com an online store selling a variety of maternity clothes, nursing clothes and maternity swimwear by leading designers such as Prego Maternity Swimwear, Maternal America, and BelaBumBum.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Tips For Healthy Pregnancy
For a healthy new baby, healthy pregnancy is a must. Every woman has a desire for a healthy pregnanc
- How To Make Your Pregnancy Healthy And Comfortable
Healthy pregnancy is the first and for most thing which the every mother desire for. This could only
- Morning Sickness Symptoms - 3 Signs That Morning Sickness Has Begun
Morning sickness is a normal part of pregnancy for most women. 7 of every 10 women will go through m
- Morning Sickness Remedy - 3 Methods That Will Have You Feeling Better Instantly
For most women, morning sickness will be the most unpleasant time during pregnancy. Over seventy per
- Morning Sickness Cures - Survive Morning Sickness With 5 Proven Remedies
In the first phase of pregnancy, your body goes through rapid hormonal changes that will prepare you
- Ginger For Morning Sickness - 3 Ways To Utilize Ginger For Fast Morning Sickness Relief
Ginger is a potent herb, native to Asia that has various healing powers, one of which is eliminating
- End Morning Sickness - Get Rid Of Morning Sickness With 3 Easy Remedies
Morning sickness impacts four out of every five women. The symptoms and severity of morning sickness
- The Best Vitamins And Minerals In Increasing Fertility
There are many natural treatments that can help improve the fertility of a couple. These natural tre
- Safe Exercises During Pregnancy-how To Safely Exercise During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is such a wonderful time in a woman's life. Having a little life growing inside you is suc
- Getting Tubes Untied: Pregnant After Tubal Ligation
Most people have heard to term getting your "tubed tied". This refers to the procedure called tubal
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Do You Have Any Doubts About Pregnancy Tests?
Read this and all doubts about pregnancy and pregnancy tests will be cleared.The fertilized egg plan
- Pregnancy Advice
The 10 Things You Should Do when you are pregnant, these are not the hardcore scientific stuff, just
- Choosing the Sex of your Baby - the Moral Question
Some people oppose gender selection calling it an attempt at playing God. They believe that nature m
- Deciphering The Fertility Calendar
If you are one of the many couples around the world that are trying to conceive, I'm sure you've see
- Getting Rid Of Stretchmarks
Getting rid of stretchmarks can be a difficult thing to do. They're ugly and make days at the beach
- Fun and Unique Baby Shower Decorating Ideas
Baby showers are a great way of announcing to the world that you are going to be a new mother. Since
- How To Plan a Baby Shower on a Budget
So you're throwing a baby shower, and have no idea what you need or where to go to plan your baby s
- How To Start Labor: What Works?
Overdue pregnancy can be physically and mentally challenging. If you have difficulties in sleeping,
- 37 Weeks Pregnant - It's Nearly Time To Give Birth
37 weeks pregnant and you're almost to your due date. In most cases you've reached the point that if
- Holiday Season and Baby Showers - Should You Have Them?
People often wonder whether they should hold a baby shower during the hustle and bustle of the holid