Is Complete Abstinence from Use of Paychoactive Substances Necessary for Recovery?
Here are some of the reasons for the position that complete abstinence from all psychoactive substances is necessary for recovery from addiction:
1. Use of any drug will result in impaired judgment (may lead back to drug of choice (DOC)).
2. Substitution-the person may develop a new addiction.
3. Use of any drug will have an adverse effect on already damaged neurotransmitter systems
in the reward pathway of the brain.
4. The resulting high from the new substance will not be the effect of the person's DOC (not
the high desired)
5. Recovery is an all or nothing proposition; either you're sober or clean or you're not.
6. Use of the substance will undoubtedly occur in the company of "slippery" people and in
"slippery" places, causing cravings and possible relapse ("slippery" meaning dangerous to
abstinence or recovery).
7. Use will result in loss of 12 Step or other abstinence supports because the person will have
to lie, keep secret the drug use from 12 Step members. This is also dangerous because it
involves a return to old behaviors of dishonesty, etc.
8. Use will have an adverse effect on spirituality (addicts and alcoholics have made their
substances a Higher Power).
Related Tags: recovery, abstinence, complete abstinence in recvery, relapse factors
Jan Edward Williams, MS, JD, CCDC, LCADC. firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to my law degree, I have a master of science degree in pastoral counseling, and am a CCDC, or Maryland Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor and an LCADC, or Maryland Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (same level as an LCPC). I have personal and professional experience to aid me in helping persons with alcohol and other drug problems. I am in recovery myself, with over 29 years of continuous sobriety, and have been working in the drug and alcohol field for 27 years. I have been Director of Loyola College in Maryland's Alcohol and Drug Education and Support Services for 17 years. I also teach both undergraduate and graduate courses in substance abuse for the Psychology Department at Loyola.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Resurgence of Fred Perry Clothing
Summer might long be over and Wimbledon may be a distant memory, however the fashion is a year round
- Uncovering Men's Tank Tops
I don't know a thing about you, but I'll bet that you have worn a tank top. Tank tops have also been
- Make Use of Silk Scarves to Take Good Care of Your Skin
In the event you are new about silk scarves, you could never read about this particular feature of s
- Just For Men Scarves - the Preference For Guys in the Vogue Domain
If you are not certain what style of present you could provide for men, maybe you can consider men s
- Think Black Friday Shopping is Beyond Your Budget?
Moms who are juggling the bills and still trying to provide the perfect holiday gift to loved ones a
- How to Make Conscious Shopping Choices
Many people have heard the phrase "voting with your dollars" and they understand that it means your
- Silk Scarves - Unique Present Approach in Xmas Seasons
The most prevalent silk add-on is scarves, and many focus is presented on inspired designing on thes
- Benefits of an Aloe Vera Shampoo
A lot of people are not aware of the specific benefits that using an aloe vera shampoo can do to the
- How Effective is the Power of Your Subconscious Mind?
Most people are bombarded with this thought whenever they feel weak and wish to affect certain chang
- Silk Scarf - the Record For Human Being in the Style History
Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries the worldwide recognition of silk scarves developed dramatica
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Surf and Turf: the Race Track
Surf and Turf: The Race TrackOne of the favorite places for The G to hang out at, especially in Summ
- Are You Looking For Cholesterol Drugs Without Side Effect?
High cholesterol level is probably one of the widely spread complication among Americans. Almost for
- Friday the 13th could be a lucky day?
Friday the 13th sounds unlucky ? Traditional superstition ? And a lot of people dislike it and beli
- Don't Judge A Man
Our world is full of bad tongues, fault-finders, gossipers, mockers, and insulters but do these grou
- When Personalized Gifts Make a Difference
Finding the right gifts for a particular occasion is always a challenging task. Sometimes it is nic
- Managing My Resistance: Learning To Flow With What Life Offers
One of the things that interests me most about conflict is the tendency to resist it and the ways in
- What Are Horoscopes Based On?
If you do not know much about astrology, you may wonder what are horoscopes based on and how astrolo
- 7 Dumbest Relationship Mistakes Smart People Make
We often find ourselves amid the wreckage of a love gone wrong, wringing our hands and asking, "Why
- Motivation as the heart of self improvement
You should be able to find several indispensable facts about Motivation in the following paragraphs
- Prestigious University In The Heart Of Phoenix Takes Students To Heart
Good education is the solid foundation on which an individual builds his life. Today there are numer